VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: What are you working on?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:15 pm 

Just what the title says folks!

I'm currently running through fretboard logic....again. Working on theory and chord formation in multiple locations, as well as notes of scales and circle of fifths stuff.

Technique wise I'm working on inside alternate picking (an exercise from John Petrucci's Rock Discipline) and chordal work. Inverting and playing them in ways I never have and I've started to play them very slowly, note by note, looking for clarity and no dead/muted notes. Something I haven't done since I started playing.

Spending a lot of time experimenting with effects, I've been playing for years but never got creative or outside what your "supposed" to do with an effect. Spaceship effects from delays, extreme compression, chorus/tremolo stacking. Fun times in my practice room right now! :guitar

What are you practicing right now?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:57 am 

Hey Pape !

Honestly, not much.
It's been a couple of weeks or month since I last picked up the guitar.

I've been, like you, running through fretboard logic, and trying to think as fast as possible of the notes of every major scale in my head, ascending and descending. The problem is that I go faster with the letter system (A, B, C, etc.), but I have to be able to do that with the proper note names (Do, Re, Mi, etc.) since I live in Brazil and people here aren't used to using the letters when talking, just when writing down chords.
At least that makes me practice twice as much and think in both systems. More work, more rewards.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:32 am 

That's great! I took a long time off guitar due to a wrist injury, it's amazing how fast I bounced back on some things and others seems like I never even learned. The music and theory side has been a little easier to keep up with. I never considered how other cultures and places may learn, speak, and understand theory different! I know nothing but letter names when it comes down to it. I'm self taught so that might have been a missed part of my education. I feel a you tube marathon coming up on this subject.

What kept you from picking up your guitar?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:57 pm 

Well, making it very short, I was kind of disappointed with the guitar after watching (of course drunk, haha) a video of Daniel Barenboim playing Beethoven's Piano Sonata 14, specially the third movement.

It struck me that guitar compositions would never have the same proportions of deepness or complexity (in the good way, not in the sense of difficult things to play, but in the sense of having a lot going on at the same time, melodically, harmonically, voicings, etc et al, all played by just one person at once) that a piano can have.
One may argue that you can record anything you want with the guitar aswell. I agree with that, but I'm not interested in recording songs and not being able to perform live with all the details that I put in them when recorded.

That happened something like a year ago. Since then I've picked up the guitar once or twice a month.
My own compositions seem a little pale now, and as much as I like guitar (don't get me wrong, I didn't start to dislike it), it seems pointless to me to invest so much effort in technique and composing on an instrument that isn't the most complete one.