VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 395 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 27  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:21 pm 
Newcomer

I totally disagree with your guitar teacher. No one feels it like vai. Have you listened to his new cd , real emotions , no one has ever played with that kind of emotion , it is incredible , listen to the animal and just watch live in astoria and you will see , Vai's songs are filled with emotion and feel , every note is perfect and melodic , he has feel and is more than a shredder. TRy playing his stuff , see if you have any "feel".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:56 am 

Benighted wrote:
and Whitesnake went through a rough period when they wrote with Vai

They didn't write with Steve... He just played what Whitesnake's guitarist -Adrian Vandenberg- wrote... Steve's sign doesn't appear in any of those songs and a bottom note in Slip of the tongue says: "Unfortunately, due to injurs, Adrian was unable to perform on this recorded work. Our thanks to Steve for fulfilling all guitar responsibilities"

I think He just get those songs and played along :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:49 am 

of course he wasn't envolved in the writing process, but it's him playing guitar, know what i mean?
All these tiny fills, his interpretations of the riffs and the solos of course are his work and they're great :wink:
For example the introduction of Kittens got claws... :wink:
Oh and i understand what you mean, saying he;s not a great riffer
maybe you;re right, he never wrote a real rock riff...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:58 am 

Little_Dreamer wrote:

Maybe that's a better way of putting it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:56 pm 

Quote:
he never wrote a real rock riff...

huh.....

could have fooled me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:46 pm 

Steve Vai is one of the best players in the world. I have been listen to him since small green men. Ofcourse some stuff is about taste but none can say hes not a good musician. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:09 am 

nobody here ever said he's not a good musician, i think...
You can write a good rock riff without being a good musician, but you can't write like Vai does without being a good musician (again this is just my opinion :wink: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:32 am 

phoenix2874 wrote:
That person should be slapped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:44 am 
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Little_Dreamer wrote:
Oh and i understand what you mean, saying he;s not a great riffer

So - you don't have either of the David Lee Roth records I assume?

;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:25 pm 

Quote:
They didn't write with Steve... He just played what Whitesnake's guitarist -Adrian Vandenberg- wrote...

Here's what Steve says about it :

"When the Whitesnake offer first came along, I was a little apprehensive," Vai admits. "But as soon as I heard the music, I was hooked. It was an open canvas - just bass and drums. And they said 'do what you want.' I couldn't refuse. It was so exciting to hear this type of rock music. In my mind, I was decorating it already. I was hearing all the little squeaks and squeals and the big rhythms and solos instantly."

Here's the link to the entire interview : http://www.theultrazone.com/articles5.cfm

Quote:

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:52 pm 
Newcomer

Little_Dreamer wrote:

What is a real rock riff?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:42 pm 

Talking about who is a good guitarist, who's not, who has the feeling, who doesn't and blah blah blah... is just like talking about religion, politics or soccer...
we may hardly find an agreement for that.

I think it's only matter of taste, is my taste, is your taste, their taste and so on, not neccesarily everybody has to dig things that we personally dig and vicecersa and nobody has the right to say "It sucks because I don't like it" and also nobody has the right to say "you suck because you like something that sucks to me"

If we could only limitate ourselves to just say: "I don't like that" and that's it, things may be different I guess.

So, going to the point, the teacher just thinks that Steve Vai has no feeling on his playing, but, let the teacher be and think what he thinks is right, I wouldn't bash him just because he doesn't dig something that I dig, he has his own rights and judgement.

Finally, this becomes in some sort of politics stuff, where bluesmans bash shredders and shredders bash punks etc etc, you know, one current may want to offer something better and compete for the most number of votes, even all involved parties are coming from one common thing.

This is music, you like what you want and that's all, follow what is good to you and do not judge anybody if they doesn't share your ideas or tastes.

I wouldn't compare Eric Clapton or B.B. King with Steve or Satch 'cause is just a foolish game, I like what those four guys do in their very unique ways and that's all.

Regards.

Last edited by Cesar Huesca on Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:45 pm 

WSK wrote:
Talking about who is a good guitarist, who's not, who has the feeling, who doesn't and blah blah blah... is just like talking about religion, politics or soccer...

Don't get me started on soccer. :evil:

:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:01 pm 
Newcomer

Oh my god! I guess that we all have to be appropriate with our feedback on this one haha. (right Mikey haha)

I say if you don't like listening to something then don't. I don't want to listen to the likes of your guitar teacher either!!! I've already dealt with tons of "teachers" and music store owners that don't want you to listen to anything except what they like. Usually, it is becuase they can't play anything else except "Smoke on the water" riffs.

Then they give you the cheap slap in the face because you like something that is a bit faster then there little two note trills or their bend blues note that is supposed to scare us all.

I personally am sick of being held back by purists and these guitarists that expect me to play nothing but a slow blues scale all day long becuase that is all they can do. Give me a break!

If I had my way, all of the lame music and musicians that can't handle a guitarists with chops would have to move to another lame future country like Antarctica or something.

Last edited by ioniansavitar on Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:58 pm 

I dont think you should be paying this guy for his advice.He is proabably just jeaulous

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 395 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 27  Next