VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 27  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:50 am 

when i took lessons years agoo,
my guitar-teacher told me that steve vai and frank zappa are great and good to listen to. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:51 am 

is your teacher perhaps named JOEY DAHLIA?
:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:00 pm 

you mean that phony belony??
thank god no!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:18 am 

For all of those who think Vai has no feel; have a listen to a live version of For The Love Of God. Preferably an audio visual version, so that you get to see his gestures and how he becomes 'one' with the music.

This, my dear fellows, is feeling combined with a higher level of technique. It works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:25 am 

I lent RIR to a friend who said, "Just as I've always thought; technically of course he's amazing, but the thing is ... the guy just can't WRITE! I mean he doesn't know how to write a song. There are no actual songs on the whole album! Nothing you can actually remember or sing to yourself. It's just widdly widdly all the way through. Why doesn't he go back to basics and learn how to write music properly!"

Well for fuck's sake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:03 am 

Steve for me, plays with a lot of feeling and he is without question a brilliant guitarist.

If anything I would say he's never written a really memorable riff in his life though. Also it's interesting to look at how David Lee Roth went downhill after leaving Van Halen and playing with Vai, and that Whitesnake took a dip in form when they recruited Vai. Could it be that he is not the God peopel make him out to be in terms of songwriting and riff writing ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:05 pm 

Only a total fucking moron would think that Vai has no feel or talent.It takes a special kind of asshole. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:33 am 

burnt out wrote:
It takes a special kind of asshole. :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:07 pm 

i should just point out as a teacher, it is perfectly acceptable to slag off good charlotte to your students.

What a prat though!! Vai cant play blues???? PAH

hes not even a blues guitarist anyway!!!! I bet Segovia wasnt too hot at nu-metal....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:43 pm 

Quote:
I bet Segovia wasnt too hot at nu-metal....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah man...Roy Clark totally sucks at punk. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:53 pm 

oh what the hell,here's a couple more,lol....

The Beach Boys suck at grunge. :shock:

Neil Young cannot shred to save his life. :shock:

Slayer sucks at COUNTRY MUSIC! :lol:

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:21 pm 

I know a guy who refuses to even give Vai a chance because "he over-played in that 'Crossroads' movie."

:roll: Uh, that was the whole point of the role. That's like saying "I liked Rocky except for the bits with boxing".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:37 am 

Petie wrote:
:roll: Uh, that was the whole point of the role. That's like saying "I liked Rocky except for the bits with boxing".

LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:14 am 

About Steve's Songwriting and Riffs:
İ think the Whitesnake Album with Steve has some of the best Riffs ever appeared on an rock album and DLR's Eat em n smile makes me smile everytime i listen to it, because of the worderful rythm guitar playing :!:
He may not write memorable riffs but his riffs totally fit in the songs, and make them a 100 times more interesting and enjoyable :D
İ was at aching hunger phase 2 and this is a real masterpiece of writing.
İt was the most beautiful, touching and emotional music i've ever heard in my life, but i don't remember any riff or melody of it, exept for the classical vai tunes and melodies they played of course...
İt's music for the moment, not music that'll spook around your head all the time
oh, and he wrote some memorable riffs though: bad horsie, answers, sex & religion,...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:37 am 

Little_Dreamer wrote:
About Steve's Songwriting and Riffs:
İ think the Whitesnake Album with Steve has some of the best Riffs ever appeared on an rock album and DLR's Eat em n smile makes me smile everytime i listen to it, because of the worderful rythm guitar playing :!:
He may not write memorable riffs but his riffs totally fit in the songs, and make them a 100 times more interesting and enjoyable :D
İ was at aching hunger phase 2 and this is a real masterpiece of writing.
İt was the most beautiful, touching and emotional music i've ever heard in my life, but i don't remember any riff or melody of it, exept for the classical vai tunes and melodies they played of course...
İt's music for the moment, not music that'll spook around your head all the time
oh, and he wrote some memorable riffs though: bad horsie, answers, sex & religion,...

Fair enough youre entitled to your opinion.

I still dont think Stevie is a good riffer though and whatever you say about those albums theres no doubting the fact that David Lee Roth suffered after leaving Van Halen and writing with Vai, and Whitesnake went through a rough period when they wrote with Vai. I'm just saying he does play with feel, and he's one of the greatest guitarists of all time BUT I completely understand where people are coming from when they say he cant write 'songs' (rock songs?) and in my personal opinion he isnt a good riffer.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 27  Next