VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vai has no feel
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:30 am 

Big Bad Bill wrote:
You have to listen to it a few times..and I mean active listening rather than letting it wash over you as most people allow popular music to wash over them.

Yes, most people these days can't stop to really listen to something.. That's just a shame..

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:14 am 

sunai0804 wrote:
Of all my friends that i tried on, none of them wanted to listen to it, mainly because it was 10 mins long, plus, they couldn't listen past Bull whip, they just find the song irritating....I don't get that one bit :( :(

I love Vai's music but even I find that track irratating if I'm not in the right frame of mind to listen to it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:42 am 

boswell wrote:
I love Vai's music but even I find that track irratating if I'm not in the right frame of mind to listen to it.
Can't take yer Merlot, eh? By the way, you're a different shade of purple now, boswell. Shouldn't you be this shade?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:56 am 

boswell wrote:
sunai0804 wrote:
Of all my friends that i tried on, none of them wanted to listen to it, mainly because it was 10 mins long, plus, they couldn't listen past Bull whip, they just find the song irritating....I don't get that one bit :( :(

but , there's a difference , you can listen to it sometime...
and totally agree that these days people just let the music wash over them...

and i prefer Coke as opposed to pepsi..(please don't start a thread about this anyone :lol: :lol: )

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:44 am 

Recently I've become elitist about listening to music, so now, when I listen to a CD, I sit in front of my CD player while staring at the album art and concentrate on the music as much as possible. Sometimes it can get you kinda high.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:21 am 

Big Bad Bill wrote:
boswell wrote:
Can't take yer Merlot, eh? By the way, you're a different shade of purple now, boswell. Shouldn't you be this shade?

Right about the colour wrong about the vin rouge :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:45 am 
Newcomer

I think the guitar teacher was ind of irritated by SV.

Many music and DVd support the phrasing of SV.

Lots of people dislike others work...but... IS THAT REASON ENUFF TO TALK BADLY?

I recognize the beautiful work of PinkFloyd & Guns N Roses i think they are treasure stones in music in this era...but..i do not like them for example.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:50 am 

Big Bad Bill wrote:
[color=#0000FF]Can't take yer Merlot, eh? [color]

I'm a BIN 555 Shiraz kinda guy these days

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:06 am 

I've had a falling out with vai's solo music now. I still respect him because he's such a freak at guitar and I still think he's written some great songs, but I don't have any urge to listen to them anymore and prefer many other artists/bands over him. Also there's a lot of songs I tried to get into but I've given up, to me they just sound like jibberish. They don't invoke any feeling or emotion within me it's just sort of filling the air. Apart from probably the attitude song, the flex-able album irritated the shit out of me lol but it's always been hit and misses throughout all his albums (mostly misses for me). Sound Theories really pushed me over the edge, even though I liked some of the original versions of those songs, that was just a horrid listening experience. The sound was simply annoying.

Give me satriani anyday, the guy oozes smooth and coolness. The compositions are daring and interesting enough for guitar enthusiasts while still enjoyable for practically everyone no matter what musical taste (even metro top 40 people can dig it).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:18 am 

guyver_dio wrote:
I've had a falling out with vai's solo music now. I still respect him because he's such a freak at guitar and I still think he's written some great songs, but I don't have any urge to listen to them anymore and prefer many other artists/bands over him.
I agree with you there, but I feel certain that's because of the lack of new material for years. Once the new albums out I'm sure we'll have a change of heart.

guyver_dio wrote:
Also there's a lot of songs I tried to get into but I've given up, to me they just sound like jibberish. They don't invoke any feeling or emotion within me it's just sort of filling the air.
Perhaps that's Steve's middle-aged venture into art-music-like other musicians head for 'Island of Jazz'! He's always done the some odd music and I suppose that's what some people like to do to stretch their wings. I listen once and then reach for the skip button.
guyver_dio wrote:
Apart from probably the attitude song, the flex-able album irritated the shit out of me lol
I agree with you again, but I put that down to Steve's relative youth-he was growing up at that point and it was a milestone in his development. Without Flexible, Steve wouldn't be the musician he is now.
guyver_dio wrote:
but it's always been hit and misses throughout all his albums (mostly misses for me).
Every artist produces duds, don't they? And a dud for one person is heaven for another. 'Ultrazone' was a huge dud for me except a few tracks as was 'Sex and Religion' but the latter really grew on me and has become a firm favourite. Duds are simply part of the experience of following a particular musician's journey.
guyver_dio wrote:
Sound Theories really pushed me over the edge, even though I liked some of the original versions of those songs, that was just a horrid listening experience. The sound was simply annoying.
Again, I have to agree. I think ST was simply Steve indulging himself which is fine and some fans will dig it because they like it and other will dig it because they think they should dig it otherwise they're not a real fan. I love Steve's music and I think he's a great person, but I don't think he's musically infallible.
guyver_dio wrote:
Give me satriani anyday, the guy oozes smooth and coolness. The compositions are daring and interesting enough for guitar enthusiasts while still enjoyable for practically everyone no matter what musical taste (even metro top 40 people can dig it).
Well that's where I deviate from your opinion. I find his later stuff to be meandering, cliched, over long jam sessions with a repetitive structure. Since 'Strange and Beautiful Music' I've hated everything he's done 'Super Colossal' was super abysmal and Professor Funk-whatever...oh don't even get me started!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:46 pm 

Big Bad Bill wrote:
guyver_dio wrote:
Well that's where I deviate from your opinion. I find his later stuff to be meandering, cliched, over long jam sessions with a repetitive structure. Since 'Strange and Beautiful Music' I've hated everything he's done 'Super Colossal' was super abysmal and Professor Funk-whatever...oh don't even get me started!

I understand why people think that, and even agree somewhat. I guess I've just grown away from the experimental guitar stuff, I don't listen to music to be wow'd by someones guitar work in the same way as I used to, I just wanna be able to drift off and get caught in the atmosphere. To me satriani is totally doing that, I put on his albums while I'm working around the house and relaxes and puts me in a good place. It also makes me wanna run to grab my guitar and improvise along. The simplicity makes it enjoyable. Try doing that with steve's music, you gotta learn all the changes so you have a fair idea of what you'll need to land on. Gotta set aside a whole evening for it lol.

Satriani gives me the impression that he's still capable of doing all that crazy stuff, but has found a nice little nook in music that keeps him satisfied while he sits back and watches all the other kiddies use their new fandangle gadgets and tricks. That said, he still pulls out some of the crazy stuff live once and awhile.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:38 am 

Sorry this is a little off topic everyone but Vai clearly has oodles of feel!
guyver_dio wrote:
I understand why people think that, and even agree somewhat. I guess I've just grown away from the experimental guitar stuff, I don't listen to music to be wow'd by someones guitar work in the same way as I used to, I just wanna be able to drift off and get caught in the atmosphere.
Exactly, its become background music. Its guitar 'muzak' that can be played in lifts and shopping malls everywhere without offending anyone! Its inoffensive, its middle-of-the road, its musical middle-age! I still want to hear music that makes me sit and take note and makes me think, 'Wow, that's new and exciting'.
guyver_dio wrote:
To me satriani is totally doing that, I put on his albums while I'm working around the house and relaxes and puts me in a good place.
If I want to chill I sit in silence or put on some Enigma or Kitaro (Sacred Journey of Kukai vol.1 is excellent, by the way!)
guyver_dio wrote:
It also makes me wanna run to grab my guitar and improvise along. The simplicity makes it enjoyable.
Again, that's because its essentially a repetitive backing track that he's noodled over. I used to enjoy doing that, but I want to listen to something more challenging.
guyver_dio wrote:
Try doing that with steve's music, you gotta learn all the changes so you have a fair idea of what you'll need to land on. Gotta set aside a whole evening for it lol.
You're making the assumption that the music you listen to for fun should be something you should be able to emulate. Not everyone wants to be able, or indeed is able, to do that. Its like visual art: Tracey Emin's work leave me cold because I can do what she does and perhaps even better, if you looked at my messy bed when I was a student, whereas Simon Bisley or Caravaggio...WOW!
guyver_dio wrote:
Satriani gives me the impression that he's still capable of doing all that crazy stuff, but has found a nice little nook in music that keeps him satisfied while he sits back and watches all the other kiddies use their new fandangle gadgets and tricks. .
Listen to the simple piece that is 'Rubina's Blue Sky Happiness' its simple and devoid of gadgets but its sublimely beautiful. 'Midnight', 'Flying in a Blue Dream', 'Always with you, Always with Me', 'Lords of Karma' etc etc-they are just straight-ahead guitar and rock band that even I can play, but they're amazingly beautiful and well-crafted and carefully composed with dynamic changes that aren't outlandish in anyway and thought about and....Satch doesn't seem to do this anymore. Now its just a simple chord change backing track over which he noodles (in myxolydian, usually). He's either lost for new ideas or just takes the easy route.
guyver_dio wrote:
That said, he still pulls out some of the crazy stuff live once and awhile.
I hope you don't mean that bloody whammy pedal he just stands on for ten minutes at the end of everything he plays. I know where i'd like to stick that whammy pedal-back in storage with all his other old gear!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:09 pm 
Newcomer

Has your guitar teacher ever seen Steve play...... i mean it is imposible to play a song like: whispering a prayer withouth feel.
And one of the first things that i noticed about his songs is that they always speak plus i think that if you want to express yourself with music speed certanly has a place in that.
For me steve is definately the player with the most feel ever (my opinion).

Sorry for the spelling mistakes :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:09 am 
Newcomer

From that simple statement "Vai has no feel" isn't it enough to say that taste is subjective and that everyone is entitled to an opinion? If that individual doesn't wish to listen to Steve then frankly it's his loss...:)

I've listened to Steve on and off since 1988 or so and I would be the first to throw my hands in the air and admit I don't like everything he's comitted to media for various reasons, but I would never, even then, accuse him of having no feel because it's all totally relative and not every single person will appreciate every single note a musician plays - more recently I have found that a lot of the guitarists I listened to back then (Vai, Satch, Macalpine, Yngwie) leave me utterly cold because I was at one time so familiar with their work that I was perhaps over-exposed...the wonder and awe I felt at 18 are no longer present...and they have a very distinctive approach that can, as with anything, age in the perception of the listener.

/elitist hat on, tongue in cheek

Then again, it could be a simple Tutor dismissing that which he can't understand 8)

/elitist hat off, tongue out of cheek

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:58 am 

*Sign,..Its just ( to me ) sad that "some" people can't talk about
much else then. "who the best guitarist in the world" or "who has feel,
and those who play fast doesn't".. If people could use the mind for a more
usefull purpose.

That teacher was either having a bad day, or just ignorant. To me its just a bit inmature
to push that kind of opinion onto his students. If some people just could use there mind
for a more usefull purpose.

(sorry 'bout me bad english)

Last edited by bennyvx78 on Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next