Vai has no feel

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
Message
Author
User avatar
boswell
Member
Member
Posts: 1065
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:50 am
Location: Yorkshire, UK

#331 Post by boswell » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:35 am

Big Bad Bill wrote:For a musician to suggest "vai wouldnt know phrasing, feel or emotion if it slapped him on the arse. he reckons he cant play blues at all and reckons that all he does is play a million notes per second" shows his/her ignorance and the fact they haven't listened to Steve's music at any depth.
I let Ains know how ignorant he is later! :wink:

User avatar
Big Bad Bill
Member
Member
Posts: 4071
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:40 am
Location: Honley UK

#332 Post by Big Bad Bill » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:08 am

boswell wrote:I let Ains know how ignorant he is later! :wink:
He wouldn't listen to you-you don't know as much about music as he does so you can't possibly appreciate it!

User avatar
notavirtuoso
Member
Member
Posts: 588
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:56 pm

#333 Post by notavirtuoso » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:37 pm

I think Steve has the ability to dismiss the "no feel" argument for even a casual listener. My mother was no fan of guitar virtuoso type music, but she was even moved by Warm Regards. She didn't understand why I liked instrumental stuff so much until she heard that song. She didn't become a fan or anything, but she got it. She was able to understand the statement of emotion that Steve was putting out without words or visuals. That to me is powerful.

User avatar
Big Bad Bill
Member
Member
Posts: 4071
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:40 am
Location: Honley UK

#334 Post by Big Bad Bill » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:40 am

I can see exactly what you mean notavirtuoso-'Warm Regards' is a lovely piece of emotional music. I can only think its the speedy playing that puts people off for some reason.

Desert_Runner
Member
Member
Posts: 428
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:28 am
Location: Bristol
Contact:

#335 Post by Desert_Runner » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:35 am

I showed my Dad Gentle Ways, which he loves, however he doesn't get The Audience is Listening. To anyone that says Vai has no feel, there is a simple answer - get them the 7th song CD!

User avatar
boswell
Member
Member
Posts: 1065
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:50 am
Location: Yorkshire, UK

#336 Post by boswell » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:58 am

Big Bad Bill wrote:I can only think its the speedy playing that puts people off for some reason.
I think many people who don't get on with instrumental music somehow don't hear what they want......"the tune" "something to whistle or hum" which they seem able to only grasp when the melody is sung. They must somehow see the instruments as just "backing" to the vocals in the same way many people don't understand Drum and Bass, Dance etc. "cos there's no tune".

User avatar
Big Bad Bill
Member
Member
Posts: 4071
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:40 am
Location: Honley UK

Re:

#337 Post by Big Bad Bill » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:02 am

boswell wrote:I think many people who don't get on with instrumental music somehow don't hear what they want......"the tune" "something to whistle or hum" which they seem able to only grasp when the melody is sung. They must somehow see the instruments as just "backing" to the vocals in the same way many people don't understand Drum and Bass, Dance etc. "cos there's no tune".
I think you've knocked the nail on the head there, boswell. Its always about the vocal these days and although Steve's music does have very strong, vocal-like melody, people want lyrics (I've even noted that a few posters in this board are obsessed with hearing the lyrics Steve has said he assigns to his music when composing-but that could just be curiosity). The lack of a singable melody plagues the fast passages of classical music, but it was always suggested to me that one should listen and appreciate the overall 'contour' of such a passage or solo and this is exactly what most Vai fans much do.

User avatar
boswell
Member
Member
Posts: 1065
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:50 am
Location: Yorkshire, UK

Re: Re:

#338 Post by boswell » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:36 am

Big Bad Bill wrote:Its always about the vocal these days and although Steve's music does have very strong, vocal-like melody, people want lyrics (I've even noted that a few posters in this board are obsessed with hearing the lyrics Steve has said he assigns to his music when composing-but that could just be curiosity). The lack of a singable melody plagues the fast passages of classical music, but it was always suggested to me that one should listen and appreciate the overall 'contour' of such a passage or solo and this is exactly what most Vai fans much do.
Thing is modern (popular) song writing even though it is very vocals orientated has less melody to it than in years gone by and has developed into a more rhythmic thing, brought about no doubt by the popularity of Rap and R&B.

There is also a certain amount of intellect (musical or otherwise) required to appreciate instrumental music and unfortunately a huge chunk of the population haven't progressed beyond the rhythmic nursery rhyme level of melody.
Last edited by boswell on Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Bryceybhoy
Member
Member
Posts: 620
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:28 am
Location: Glasgow

Re:

#339 Post by Bryceybhoy » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:53 am

Desert_Runner wrote:I showed my Dad Gentle Ways, which he loves, however he doesn't get The Audience is Listening. To anyone that says Vai has no feel, there is a simple answer - get them the 7th song CD!
I disagree. I don't think you necessarily have to play a 'ballad' for people to see that Steve has feel in his music. That would mean that Megadeth could quite easily be accused of having no feel.

Every single song on ALS for example is covered in feel.

You feelin' this?
:guitar

User avatar
Big Bad Bill
Member
Member
Posts: 4071
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:40 am
Location: Honley UK

Re: Re:

#340 Post by Big Bad Bill » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:19 am

Bryceybhoy wrote: I don't think you necessarily have to play a 'ballad' for people to see that Steve has feel in his music. That would mean that Megadeth could quite easily be accused of having no feel.
I think that's a very good point and it highlights what the majority of people consider 'feel' to be i.e. slow tempo tune, picking a note, bending it up, adding a bit of tasteful vibrato and making a funny face! I suppose many people consider 'feeling' to mean a joyous, awe-filled or a melancholias sensation. But what about the majestic aggression of 'Bull Whip'? Or the frenetic energy of 'Kill the Guy with the Ball' and 'Answers' ? Isn't that feel/emotion?

Desert_Runner
Member
Member
Posts: 428
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:28 am
Location: Bristol
Contact:

Re: Vai has no feel

#341 Post by Desert_Runner » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:35 am

Well, everything's got feel until you just start playing notes for the sake of notes. If it makes you feel anything except "these guys make me sick because of their constant note wankage" then it's got feel.
Big Bad Bill wrote:But what about the majestic aggression of 'Bull Whip'? Or the frenetic energy of 'Kill the Guy with the Ball' and 'Answers' ? Isn't that feel/emotion?
Yes. It's just that the "peace and love and good happiness stuff" side of feel is a lot more well publicised than raw angry energy. Myself, I like both, but of course they won't affect you in a similar way. I'd say it was a preference thing.

musicslave
Member
Member
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:06 am
Location: Tejas

Re: Vai has no feel

#342 Post by musicslave » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:32 am

A few years ago, I saw Steve on a David Letterman prime time special. ( I think it was the Whitesnake days) When they came back from the commercial break, his Vainess was soloing. When he was done the crowd erupted into a LOUD round of applause. My point? If Steve didn't play with any feel or emotion, he would not have connected with the audience. (The Audience Was.....Listening!! lol)

User avatar
Big Bad Bill
Member
Member
Posts: 4071
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:40 am
Location: Honley UK

Re: Vai has no feel

#343 Post by Big Bad Bill » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:46 pm

musicslave wrote:A few years ago, I saw Steve on a David Letterman prime time special. ( I think it was the Whitesnake days) When they came back from the commercial break, his Vainess was soloing. When he was done the crowd erupted into a LOUD round of applause. My point? If Steve didn't play with any feel or emotion, he would not have connected with the audience. (The Audience Was.....Listening!! lol)
I would suggest they were simply amazed by his abilities and applauding his virtuosity. I think to really appreciate Steve's music takes a effort and a bit of knowledge. Sure enough, most people can appreciate 'The Audience is Listening'-its a cool boogie, but could you say the same for 'Fire Garden Suite'?

User avatar
sunai
Member
Member
Posts: 510
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 10:12 am
Location: India
Contact:

Re: Vai has no feel

#344 Post by sunai » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:39 am

Big Bad Bill wrote:
musicslave wrote:A few years ago, I saw Steve on a David Letterman prime time special. ( I think it was the Whitesnake days) When they came back from the commercial break, his Vainess was soloing. When he was done the crowd erupted into a LOUD round of applause. My point? If Steve didn't play with any feel or emotion, he would not have connected with the audience. (The Audience Was.....Listening!! lol)
I would suggest they were simply amazed by his abilities and applauding his virtuosity. I think to really appreciate Steve's music takes a effort and a bit of knowledge. Sure enough, most people can appreciate 'The Audience is Listening'-its a cool boogie, but could you say the same for 'Fire Garden Suite'?
if you're saying its not the same for the fire garden suite, i agree with you..
Of all my friends that i tried on, none of them wanted to listen to it, mainly because it was 10 mins long, plus, they couldn't listen past Bull whip, they just find the song irritating....I don't get that one bit :( :(

User avatar
Big Bad Bill
Member
Member
Posts: 4071
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:40 am
Location: Honley UK

Re: Vai has no feel

#345 Post by Big Bad Bill » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:07 am

sunai0804 wrote:if you're saying its not the same for the fire garden suite, i agree with you..
Of all my friends that i tried on, none of them wanted to listen to it, mainly because it was 10 mins long, plus, they couldn't listen past Bull whip, they just find the song irritating....I don't get that one bit :( :(
I can understand their reaction. Its a challenging piece compared to Aerosmith, Trivium, Dragonforce, Killers, Razorlight et al. You have to listen to it a few times..and I mean active listening rather than letting it wash over you as most people allow popular music to wash over them. But the rewards are many. Its the 'fine wine' of music compared to the popular Pepsi cola!

Post Reply