VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 27  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:31 am 

guyver_dio wrote:
Why can't ppl understand speed is a form of expression

imho it's because in the 90% of the cases speed is a way to say: "Ay, look what I can do!!"; lots of times it's more driven by boast than by self expression :roll:

Edit:
And there are lot of examples of artists that only (and always) play fast, super fast music...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:19 pm 

Your teacher knows what he is talking about. You should listen to him and respect your elders. Too many kids think they can shred like Vai from tablature, but can't play a simple rhythm. Teachers hear stuff like "Clapton and hendrix sucks, I want to play like Vai and Malmsteen" should not let their frustration get the better of them and make derogatory comments, but I can understand why they would.

If Vai was your teacher, he would not show you how to play "Attitude Song" if you could not play a simple blues progression or phrase. Learn the phrasing stuff from your teacher, then move on to your own things. The most open teacher "lover of all players and styles" is not necessarily going to be able to teach you what you want, but where would we be if we only learned what we wanted? Don't knock any teacher because of his tastes. Learn what you can, then move on.

Ricardo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:52 pm 

mr_vai777 wrote:
i may be biased when it comes to vai simply because i think he is the best there is, but your guitar teacher is an idiot. i have nothing more to say on the matter

Damn right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:09 pm 

I'd say your guitar teacher is just pissed off because he's not good enough to play Vai stuff, so he has to stick with Clapton........yes, that's what I reckon.......:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:04 pm 

what an interesting subject. first off, listen to "blues improvisational" by steve and then come back and post what you think. watch the jam session with him, satriani and eric johnson on the last 3 song's on that particular dvd.....going down, my guitar want's to kill your mama and red house(especially red house) and then come back and post again. better yet, let your teacher see this and then let us know what he "reckons".
Now I've ran into people before that just don't get "Steve Vai", some say he's to over the top, meaning he tries to cram too many notes into a song. some say they like him to a point, the point where i really start gettin off on it is the point where it turn's them away. you know, where he's starting to hit the 20 nps point. I also am biased, not because i think he's the best ever or just simply the best, but because I've been lovin' his music for a long time now and when I finally got to meet him, it culminated into something I never could've dreamed it to be. Steve Vai is a great guy, he took the time to stand outside in a cold drizzle and sign stuff and talk to me like a friend of his, so yes, i am biased in that way. I met Jimmy Page and well, I just didn't come away with the same opinion. To me, Steve Vai is the complete package, if there's a song composed, written and tabbed he can play it with as much passion as any guitarist in the past, present and future will ever play with, does it make him the best? that's a matter of personal opinion, Mike Keanelly does everything steve does on stage, is he the best? it can go in so many different way's it aint even funny.
Your teacher may have his own opinion but IMHO he's acted in a careless and irresponsible manner toward's his pupil. frethound.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:06 pm 

Ricardo wrote:
If Vai was your teacher, he would not show you how to play "Attitude Song" if you could not play a simple blues progression or phrase.

I don't know,he might,if he wanted to show you what a simple motif is or how,if you repeat a simple motif then that's called a riff and THAT can then act as the hook for a song.

I think that "The Attitude Song" is a guitar lesson in itself.I think that was his point.That it's not about how simple or complex what you play is,but rather it's about having the right attitude.The right "attitude" is simply playing whatever sounds good to you with enthusiam.He repeats the motif/riff like crazy and it's simple,but his leads aren't simple.They both sound good and he plays it enthusiastically or with feeling to give it a little life.It's a fun song.It sounds like he's just havin fun with it.I think that's the point of the song or the "lesson" of it so to speak.

:x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:01 pm 

what?no feeling,,told ur teacher hear the song call "building the church"
feel it..

Post subject: Re: Vai has no feel
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:58 pm 

*theanimal*05 wrote:
all he does is play a million notes per second.

dont sound like the steve i know

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:21 am 

Tender Surrender
For the love of God
Brandos Costumes
Whispering a Prayer

...these songs are really full of emotion. a lot of people equate speed=no emotion....the only glory you get from speed is that you can...but you dont have to use it all the time...thats why steve is no.1 for me....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:14 pm 
Newcomer

*theanimal*05 wrote:
My guitar teacher reckons vai wouldnt know phrasing, feel or emotion if it slapped him on the arse. he reckons he cant play blues at all and reckons that all he does is play a million notes per second. He reckons Eric clapton is better for feel along with a long list of other players.

My question is, Has anyone ever come up to you and said Vai is crap and stupid and what was your reply?

Tobi Atkins

I wouldn't want to insult anyone that spoke as your teacher did.
I'm the kind of person who might just take it all in and not even
argue. It's obvious that anyone saying something to that effect
is just not into Vai's music enough to really hear how much
emotion there is in Steve's music. It's pretty funny actually,
because Vai's music is about as tastefull and emotion filled
as you can possibly get. With Steve Vai the emotion is bubbling
over.. he's boiling over with the most tasteful phrasing, the most
inspiring lines that anyone could ask for. But , one has to listen
to Steve play in order to hear it. And I mean really listen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:40 pm 

I think to really ROCK it takes balls and attitude.I would much rather hear some shredders rocking out and taking chances than someone who always plays it safe and never takes any chances.

Emotion? Bah....save it for the slow ballads (which should be semi rare occurrences),and for acoustic pieces and blues numbers but make sure you have some soul if you're gonna play the blues.

And too many singers nowdays sing in one tone.WTF is that? It's been going on for 25 or 30 years or so now and by God I'm gonna make it stop!

Having a "unique voice" doesn't mean singing in one tone all the time.Vary your fucking pitch or I'm going to come to your house and kill you in your sleep.
8)

Post subject: hey animal!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:16 pm 
Newcomer

HEY ANIMAL...YOU'RE AN ANIMAL!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:02 pm 

guyver_dio wrote:
i'v never classed Steve Vai as a speed demon. Eric Clapton also had Steve Vai in the line up on his Crossroads Guitar Festival. And why can't speed have emotion. Emotion isnt just Sadness and love. What about anger, excitment ect. One way to express these emotions is by playing something heavy or something fast. Why can't ppl understand speed is a form of expression.

It pisses me off!!!!!!!!

It's because they are deeeeeks!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:52 pm 

Gee, ya think the thread author was maybe trying to unnerve some of you a bit? This guy's a lightweight for crissakes. Believe me, I know somethin about getting folks riled up around here. Heheh :twisted:
But ya gotta defend your hero and seriously I can empathize.

First off, with regards to the thread's title, I can partially understand why some people think Vai "has no feel." Quite a lot of his music can seem overly grandiose-sounding, or guitar opera-ish, or over composed, or over intellectualized, or just plain cheesy, or eccentric, OR whatever... to the uninitiated Vai neophyte. That, of course, is NOT Steve's intention when he writes a song, but some people will seize on the differences between his and 'their' usual music and irrationally criticize him, intermingling one or two sort of valid points with tons of pure opinion points cleverly veiled as facts.

It's because most of the people who disrespect Mr. Vai do so because of a constricted perception of music. Regardless of whether you like Vai's stuff or not, you must respect the mastery with which he wields his guitar. This guitar teacher guy probably hasn't even given Steve's music a chance. And that's what I'm rambling towards- you hafta give all musicians a fair shake before becoming anti-(fill in name of artist). And if it turns out you don't really like someone's music, the best bet is to employ diplomacy when reviewing or critiquing their work- y'know, give the pluses AND minuses in a rational manner when discussing their music with others. You would want the same standards for consideration of your own music, would you not?

As for this guitar teacher guy, let him hear "God Bless Video." Believe it or not, this was THE song that made me a complete and total Vai convert. Especially point out to your brainwashed guitar teacher that the main tapping (legato?) riff is very melodic, harmonious, and captivating, while not being "over the top" or "excessive," etc. And while yer at it, also point out that the guitar solo is, well, very atypical for rock guitar solos of the time period. Steve's work in that song is extremely original and fresh, and even your moron of a guitar teacher should recognize that.

So there.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:25 pm 

*theanimal*05 wrote:
My guitar teacher reckons vai wouldnt know phrasing, feel or emotion if it slapped him on the arse. he reckons he cant play blues at all and reckons that all he does is play a million notes per second. He reckons Eric clapton is better for feel along with a long list of other players.

My question is, Has anyone ever come up to you and said Vai is crap and stupid and what was your reply?

Tobi Atkins

If the only style of music your guitar teacher thinks has 'feeling' is the blues, then I'd find another guitar teacher and quickly! :x

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 27  Next