VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:55 pm 

tell your guitar teacher he should respect other guitarists because he has a unique style. YOur teacher is probably some Jimi Hendrix clone that always plays the same crappy blues expected licks. He should shut up. He probably sucks anyway. Get a better teacher.

Post subject: OMG!!!!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:17 pm 

I want to say that your guitar teacher wouldnt know a guitar god if they ripped his nose off and shoved it up his butt, so he has to smell it. Of course, that is my opinion, as that above is also his. My group of friends, for the most part, think the same, and I want to %$#^# kill them three times over for sinning the rock god. You should talk back to your guitar teacher, and make sure he knows that he is going to rock guitar hell. Damn it!

Jason

Post subject: you sick turd
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:22 pm 

BBB, you are a sick f*ck. What the hell? You know, I don't think anyone deserves to have to drink the sweaty, dirty water from Steve's stage sweat, but thank you for the description. My dad says you're a sick turd.

Jason

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:37 pm 

BigBadBill wrote:
and "Why don't you tell someone like virtuoso violonist, Itzak Perlman or any classical musician that playing fast isn't a valid form of musical expression and they'll laugh you out of the room!"

Yay! *applause* *applause*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:37 am 

first off, what responses were you expecting to get on a fan site of Mr. Vai?

anways, Steve Vai has a style that some people might not like, but to say that he' crap is simply childish, it's not responsible, especially for a guitar teacher, he shouldn't force his opinion on his students

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:41 am 

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

Some teacher, i think hes the one who wouldnt know phrasing if it slapped him in the arse.

Post subject: Re: Vai has no feel
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:17 pm 

*theanimal*05 wrote:
My question is, Has anyone ever come up to you and said Vai is crap and stupid and what was your reply?

1. Be sure you have all Steve discography in your house (call your friend and tell him to return that cd you borrowed him :twisted: )
2. Call this gentleman that says Steve has no feel (only if you didn't shot him down before)
3. Have him listen to all Steve's records (in time order)

Maybe He'll appreciate His work a little bit more...
If He continues to think that Steve has no feel, then -at least- He'll know all His (extraordinary :D ) music and He can change his mind from: "His music's shit" to: "I don't like His music"

Remember that you have to know something before expressing your opinion about it... and that it's always better to say "I don't like it" than "It's shit"
Think about it :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:41 pm 

If steve have no feel... He won't be able to play music at all. Even at fast speed you need to have feel... Change the teacher

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:51 pm 
Newcomer

thelordofcheesecake wrote:
Totally disagree. Just for starters:

Tender Surrender
Hand On Heart
For The Love Of God
Sisters
Touching Tongues
Rescue Me Or Bury Me
Blue Powder
Whispering A Prayer

Tell him to listen to those and say it again. Your teacher, as far as this is concerned, is a moron.

Hey even better then any of those. Jibboom is in a blues format of E.

And if Vai shows off even in the slightest it's for good reason because of his dedication, playing ability, compositonal ability, and achievements like Alive in An Ultra World. He is a performer, and good at what he does, I'd be damn proud if I had those kind of achievements, not overly proud, but prideful in 'em.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:41 pm 

A guitarist always have 'feel', it may not be your 'feel', but is always there.

I wouldn't get too worked up about it, mostly this critizism is born out of jealousy, and of ignorance.
I read the same remark from Angus Young, Eric Melaerts (Belgian sessionplayer), and loads of other people.
So what?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:41 pm 
Newcomer

steve is one of the most respctfull musicans ive ever met! whats wrong with a little showing off...i think it pushes us to play harder.. i myself love all the great musicans who keep raising the bar... it pushes me to play that much more and to dig that much deeper....

peace,
Bambam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:07 am 

Well I'm a teacher too and I like most of Vai's stuff, though I dislike most of Slughand's stuff (too much coke in the 70s...who can tell?).
And check this:

"I always view myself as the world's worst blues player." -Steve Vai, Oct. '86 GP

Vai wasn't born to play the Blues...he's here to peek beyond conventionality. And hell, I don't think even Jimmy Vaughn can play the effing Blues. Clapton only could when he was 21. When the licks he copped from exploited American black folk were still fresh in his mind. I'll bet your teacher must be a Keith Richards fan as well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:51 am 
Banned

Where do people get this impression that fast notes have no feel (although i have rarely heard vai do a complete shred-fest, even freak show excess was tasteful) but anyway

i mean a note still sings regardless of how fast its being played, im not gunna say kill your teacher. the only teacher i had hated Vai and i left him the next day and learnt by myself.
but its like people say you have more guitar based knowledge then me and you use modes rather then pentatonics therefore you are a souless fret-wanker, most of these people are just jealous that you know more then them and are free on the fretboard rather then trapped in pentatonic boxes..
say what you want, i'll still love vai
lets see Mr.Clapton play "Whispering a prayer" with feel huh ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:19 pm 

It's like someone saying: "oh man Randy Rhoads sucked because he didn't play the blues." - Give me a break man! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:33 pm 

i'v never classed Steve Vai as a speed demon. Eric Clapton also had Steve Vai in the line up on his Crossroads Guitar Festival. And why can't speed have emotion. Emotion isnt just Sadness and love. What about anger, excitment ect. One way to express these emotions is by playing something heavy or something fast. Why can't ppl understand speed is a form of expression.

It pisses me off!!!!!!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next