VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:09 am 
Newcomer

thelordofcheesecake wrote:
Totally disagree. Just for starters:

Tender Surrender
Hand On Heart
For The Love Of God
Sisters
Touching Tongues
Rescue Me Or Bury Me
Blue Powder
Whispering A Prayer

Tell him to listen to those and say it again. Your teacher, as far as this is concerned, is a moron.

How about F**k Yourself I can feel that one too :guitar

Post subject: Re: Vai has no feel
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:12 am 

*theanimal*05 wrote:
My guitar teacher reckons vai wouldnt know phrasing, feel or emotion if it slapped him on the arse. he reckons he cant play blues at all and reckons that all he does is play a million notes per second. He reckons Eric clapton is better for feel along with a long list of other players.

My question is, Has anyone ever come up to you and said Vai is crap and stupid and what was your reply?

Tobi Atkins

Vai had a key to open a door to my soul...and you say he has no feel?

I felt him every time I listen...and ignored him everytime i don't...

yes, there is one time my boss who was a fanatic Eric Gale fan, reckons that Vai is very technical...I say...to his face...that...yes...Vai...had a lot of things he wanted to say at the same time...he...did...abuse...his...guitar...yes...he...is very...technical!

only a Vai would know a Vai...ha ha ha!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:23 pm 
Newcomer

Yes. I feel sometimes that Vai has no feel. But may be thats just me and maybe I don't have feel either :roll:
www.mamamusicians.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:43 am 
Newcomer

I've been playing guitar like Steve for so long, and I feel like enormous emotions come to me from the softest to the hardest everytime I play like him.
I think if somebody try to compare Steve and Eric Clapton about the feeling, that's not exactly right because both of them are in the different genres, Steve's specialized in rock and Eric's specialized in blues. Both of them have different techniques to get the feeling dude.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:03 am 
Newcomer

Your teacher might have an inferiority complex.. Maybe he doesn't like Vai's tone.... Give your teacher the naked track of the song Frank.... Ask your teacher to record his version the song over the track.

He might discover how difficult it is to make the guitar speak over track like that.

I too get tired of hearing my favorite guitarists. BUT I do understand what it takes to be great.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:56 am 

music should be heard instead of watched. probably your teacher cries while listening to minor chorded tears in heaven while knowing it is dedicated to a dead daughter. this cinematographic doesn't make all his notes of his career to be more expressive, it's just the overall history in the mind of the listener that uses imagination to complete the average, the classification that affects perception instead of a true listening of what is sounding without adding prejudicies. musical taste is a religious mimetic condition so your teacher defends in blind faith same as vai's fans would do. i prefer considering it in mesurable scientific method that would demostrate clapton cannot do technical things vai can and because of being able to do more he increases the possibility of playing more accurately to complex music, so the normal basic music that sometimes sounds better is assumed to be completed and boring, although simple things are great too. personally i don't like those artists that most songs seems the same song but their fans see differences same as twins think they are completely different to each other but in fact they are the most similar persons in the world. playing fast or slow doesn't mean to be more expressive. fast players forget to play long notes and slow players are like the people whom talks too slow and needs help to appear normal. i once had a neighbour that bleeds his hands in a gymnastic kind of playing, is that soulful? no. the sound won't change, he's just spectacular masoquist. if you can improvise with a good % of succed of what you just thought then you have been expressive. easy things will have for sure succed, but in golf a far thrown is amazing. and what is expression anyway? we need images and words to really transfer proper messages because in music is very fragile what is supposed to be expressive and can be emulated by computers, i.e. vibrato, volume, mistakes or personal rhythms. you can scream on stage, crying as an actor while singing then audience will react and pay and applause and think that there was emotion, soul. but no. you cannot use a guitar to recreate what a book can. the building of a music history can make you associate music with whatever on culture, i.e. mr sandman by the chordettes will make you remember all the fashion of a period of time and place with their mood, but this is not really directly about the matemathics of music, it is the many things we put together in a style in our subjective world of ideas in cultures with the mainstream power of movies radios tv's and lately internet built on over repeating concepts to make us all equal in our diversity propagated with advertisings. competition between guitar players makes them not realize that other music may sound better. i.e. juan luis guerra is nothing about a guitar hero but his product is easily to be heard by most population. there is a probably noisy aberration on guitar players same as a lot of dj's that doesn't realize that their study has gone to a place that is bad taste to the others, it is not always developing a sensibility to understand, the truth is a stockolm syndrome same as the employee that loves the sounds of the machines. i onece had a rabbit and it made me realize that i was doing disturbing noises while thinking i was playing good licks, maybe the rabbit had the truth against the noise we've acepted as music, or maybe it's like not laughing when watching a foreing humor tv show because it's not funny if you don't know what they are talking about and the lack of culture in music doesn't allow to ignorant to truly enjoy. someone told me that his famous brother working as a dj he was listening to other music in his earphones, but the dancers though he was feeling the sounds. music is tricky, art is trick, lies, manipulation. if anybody can play the sound of the concept chocolate without images please tell. it is like actors students when the teachers tells them to feel they are one colour. feeling? most directors tell the actors to not use faces muscles because overacting causes falseness, and you could be false too playing less and slow in a always rockblues clapton way, a trademark recognizable with applause, an always working formula. real expression could have been invention if we weren't mixers, but we stop the different music to be popular, to fit in what is supposed to be played, then it's not felt. but how can a guitar player still feeling the same song over and over again? the feeling is only in the audience then the bored musician can use feedback to enjoy. some musicians bring their friends close to the stage to get smiles so audiences watch the artist happy, because we live in a world that buries you if you don't smile. feelings faces can be counted, that's why big concerts are using big screens. people need to see their faces. it is hard to induce a person to only listen a youtube of a new artist without the desire of watching how looks like.but we could pure listen as blind people do. some friends didn't want to listen to the great song telephone by lady gaga because they disagree with the character, dressing, behaviour etc of the artist. and the opposite, people that fascinates with all the things around her that are not the melody chords, scales, rhythms and timbres.there is no solution. that's my opinion.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27