Vai has no feel

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
slash89

I feel sick everytime I see this thread.. :oops:
GregN

slash89 wrote:I feel sick everytime I see this thread.. :oops:
agreed
maximus

I like Vai A LOT (and I like Satriani). But I don't like Yngwie or Petrucci. I know why that is. It's because when I listen to Steve Vai, I hear intricately placed melodies, beautiful ideas, pure feeling, and inspiration for myself.

But the bottom line is, I hear music.

I think that's the difference. The point is not to play as fast as you can. The point is to play with as much FEELING as possible. Steve Vai is a smart person, and he knows how to put these songs together. I am sure John Petrucci is too. The difference betwen them is that Steve Vai is more honest in his music. He plays what he feels like. That is the absolute DEFINITION of feel.
ZJINN
Newcomer

Try if you will to explain, but I will never understand the term feel or technique for that matter!
If Clapton has better "FEEL", than Vai because he does not practice, then so be it.
If that were the case, then Vai must have better technique.
In the end I think music is sound, and just because your music might not be the mainstream, that does not really mean it is lacking emotion.
Does the guitarist from Green Day have more feel than Steve too?
I am guessing your teacher could never do what Steve Vai can, yet he can probably handle Clapton, and that is why he is saying what he is saying and he is wrong!
Take private lessons dudes!!!
Bold_As_Love

ZJINN wrote:If Clapton has better "FEEL", than Vai because he does not practice, then so be it.
Who are you to go off saying that Clapton doesn't practice. Just because Eric Clapton doesn't write detailed articles about his practice schedules in magazines (Guitar World April 2004 "Steve Vai's 30-Hour Guitar Workout") does not mean he does not practice. And whether or not he does is insignificant in the whole debate, because Eric Clapton and Steve Vai are both:
I. Admired and respected by many musician's
II. Making more money than you as a musician

Besides, the whole debate on "feel" is a subjective one. Don't go defaming other guitarists with assumptions.
Bababoey

ZJINN wrote:
Take private lessons dudes!!!
i thought all lessons were private?
MyOwnName
Newcomer

lol Come on Dudes im not In any mood to argu this topic is not an issue If u like some thing U dont look back period thats finalllllllllllllllll as far as Mr.Vai disagreement with him not playing blues why play like every one else when u can play so much diffrent For Instance malmsteen has an issue with all that little storys he does with his diminished scales run after run after run he has no feeling feeling is not something that can be said by some one Like me What i said up their pepole are so impared as far as my self I think bringing that Topic to conclusion Its disrespectful to say or bring that kind of talk any where even here look at where u are at !
DR5150

WHAT THE *BLEEP*

I could see him saying that about people like Yngwie, Petrucci, Gilbert, Cooley, Stump, Impelliteri, Batio, etc. BUT VAI??? Like, I mean cmon, no emotion? And his little bit about him playing a million notes per second... That's not Vai, that's all the other guys I mentioned, Vai may not have as much emotion as Satriani, or the guys playing the blues, but for ****'s sake, he's not a god damned robot! Does he even actually know who Vai is, I sure hope he was mistaking him for Malmsteen, then his arguments would be perfectly legible.

Next time you see your guitar teacher, smack him over the head with your guitar!
ebrown

?Wh? This thread was created when I first joined this board... over a YEAR AGO.

Why are you still talking about it?

Please let it die. I think everyone here knows that Vai has "feel" and if they don't, what are they doing on Vai's forum?
slash89

ebrown wrote:?Wh? This thread was created when I first joined this board... over a YEAR AGO.

Why are you still talking about it?

Please let it die. I think everyone here knows that Vai has "feel" and if they don't, what are they doing on Vai's forum?
For me it's been dead for a long time..
slash89

MyOwnName wrote:lol Come on Dudes im not In any mood to argu this topic is not an issue If u like some thing U dont look back period thats finalllllllllllllllll as far as Mr.Vai disagreement with him not playing blues why play like every one else when u can play so much diffrent For Instance malmsteen has an issue with all that little storys he does with his diminished scales run after run after run he has no feeling feeling is not something that can be said by some one Like me What i said up their pepole are so impared as far as my self I think bringing that Topic to conclusion Its disrespectful to say or bring that kind of talk any where even here look at where u are at !
I do not agree with you pal :wink:
spanishphrygian

What you mean his gas tank is empty?
Mr. Supertron

I have been told things like Vai has no rhythm, Vai is no good. I have been asked why I like the song " Building The Church". I said because it was cool. I was amazed. The guy at a guitar store I went to once thought Steve could not play either. I always get super mad when people say he can't play. That is BS. Vai is my favorite all time player.
I find most of the people who say that he can not play usually can not play worth crap anyway. They are to into trying to play awful music. A lot of people say that they heard Bob Segar play fast and it was uper slow. I just forget about the people who say that he sucks because they know nothing about playing or music. You don't have to like the music, just stop calling his playing down. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
jam-man

This thread is still here!? :shock:
slash89

jam-man wrote:This thread is still here!? :shock:
Indeed it is. The day when this thread dies, I will walk on water with gold boots..