Registry of Guitar Tutors

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
Big Bad Bill

I had a lesson with my final candidate for teacher today!! What a difference! He's absolutley brilliant. He has superb technique and theory knowledge and he really gets stuff across in a straight ahead fashion. It was so different to yeaterday's lesson. Firstly he insisted on playing with a clean tone to hear all my faults, he addressed my picking, the angle of my pick, the way I fretted my notes and thumb position, the transition from moderate picking speed to fast picking etc etc! Then he talked about scales and modes and chords and what I knew and didn't and what I wanted etc etc. Finally he showed me a couple of cool licks to keep things fun but provide me with a vocabulary of phrases to incorporate or modify into my playing. I can't stress the difference from my first lesson.

Anyway, it wasn't difficult to decide who to continue taking lessons from! I'm really looking forward to the next few weeks, months and perhaps years of practice with my new guitar teacher!
miker

Wow... way to go. Third times the charm, eh Bill?

See now... if only you were a damn yank on the west coast... then I'd have a hope of taking advantage of your selective process and checking that guy out as a teacher.

Ah well... can't have everything!

Glad it's working out for you. You check out the books yet? They any good?
NoAngel

Glad to hear that you are sorted and happy with your new teacher.
miker

Sheriff's looking for you NoAngel... better lay low in Sherwood a while... yah.
NoAngel

miker wrote:Sheriff's looking for you NoAngel... better lay low in Sherwood a while... yah.
LOL

The Forest is only just up the road, both the footie club and the wood, so plenty of places to hide. It almost reaches to where BBB lives!!!
Andelusion

Big Bad Bill wrote:I had a lesson with my final candidate for teacher today!! What a difference! He's absolutley brilliant. He has superb technique and theory knowledge and he really gets stuff across in a straight ahead fashion. It was so different to yeaterday's lesson. Firstly he insisted on playing with a clean tone to hear all my faults, he addressed my picking, the angle of my pick, the way I fretted my notes and thumb position, the transition from moderate picking speed to fast picking etc etc! Then he talked about scales and modes and chords and what I knew and didn't and what I wanted etc etc. Finally he showed me a couple of cool licks to keep things fun but provide me with a vocabulary of phrases to incorporate or modify into my playing. I can't stress the difference from my first lesson.

Anyway, it wasn't difficult to decide who to continue taking lessons from! I'm really looking forward to the next few weeks, months and perhaps years of practice with my new guitar teacher!
What's his name if you don't mind me asking? We live kinda close and there's a possibility you have my ex-teacher ;)
Big Bad Bill

miker, I'd've thought the West of AMerica would be saturated with good guitar teachers? I thought that's where they all gravitate to?

His name is Ainsley Stones.
miker

I've actually only thought of getting a guitar teacher... haven't really looked into it. Shame on me, heh.
Big Bad Bill

When you get desperate enough or fed up of your playing, I'm sure you'll be motivated to find a teacher-that's what happened to me!
treeduck

Big Bad Bill wrote:When you get desperate enough or fed up of your playing, I'm sure you'll be motivated to find a teacher-that's what happened to me!
Ok BBB what's the story with this blue writing? is it Big Bad Bill colour? Is it the colour they use in Big bad Billsville or have you just got the blues...?
Big Bad Bill

Blue? Just so I can spot my posts easily. Also, people say-"Oh you're that dude who writes in blue on the Vai message board, aren't you?"

Interestingly, I only ever use black ink when writing on paper!
Big Bad Bill

I've had a couple of lessons now with some interesting ideas presented to me. The first lesson was odd in that Ainsley showed me these short, awkward, picking patterns. Just a few notes on one string that I had to practice with strict alternate picking and with a metronome. Then a similar pattern on two strings but played legato. A triplet minor pentatonic pattern and them the major pentatonic scale. I practiced dilligently but began thinking, 'what's this all about? It doesn't seem to 'mean' anything or be useful in anyway'.

Anyway I went back for my second lesson and all became clear. These were patterns that were then applied to the minor scale-alternate picking and legato, and because I had unknowingly been praticing the difficult portions of these techniques, applying them was not only easy, it was musical and damn useful in lots of different situations! There was method in his seeming madness!

We've done a bit of improvisation and I'm truly awful at this, but now I know why. Rather than noodling up and down exotic scales or picking out disjointed fragments to give the illusion of not noodling up and down-which is what I did and the illusion was never very good-he suggested that I need to listen to what I'm playing rather than looking at patterns and if I end one little lick in an ascending manner, I may want to end the next in a descending manner to give some sort of coherence. There were many more examples he gave me, and I find it really difficult, but I guess it's just practice! is other suggestion was to slow down-something I find really hard as I just want to go 'Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr'!!

I'm really enjoying myself and feel I'm making progress!
owenvaughan
Newcomer

I became an RGT registered teacher myself about five years ago; and then at least you had to be referred from a member of some standing. I do not know whether this has changed now.
Big Bad Bill

You mean students had to be referred or prospective new tutors?

Even after just 3 lessons, I can really detect an improvement in my technique-especially in my fast picking! The only problem I'm having is with slight wrist pain-but I'm being very careful, warming up, cooling down, resting etc etc!
guitar_man_6

Big Bad Bill wrote:I've had a couple of lessons now with some interesting ideas presented to me. The first lesson was odd in that Ainsley showed me these short, awkward, picking patterns. Just a few notes on one string that I had to practice with strict alternate picking and with a metronome. Then a similar pattern on two strings but played legato. A triplet minor pentatonic pattern and them the major pentatonic scale. I practiced dilligently but began thinking, 'what's this all about? It doesn't seem to 'mean' anything or be useful in anyway'.

Anyway I went back for my second lesson and all became clear. These were patterns that were then applied to the minor scale-alternate picking and legato, and because I had unknowingly been praticing the difficult portions of these techniques, applying them was not only easy, it was musical and damn useful in lots of different situations! There was method in his seeming madness!

We've done a bit of improvisation and I'm truly awful at this, but now I know why. Rather than noodling up and down exotic scales or picking out disjointed fragments to give the illusion of not noodling up and down-which is what I did and the illusion was never very good-he suggested that I need to listen to what I'm playing rather than looking at patterns and if I end one little lick in an ascending manner, I may want to end the next in a descending manner to give some sort of coherence. There were many more examples he gave me, and I find it really difficult, but I guess it's just practice! is other suggestion was to slow down-something I find really hard as I just want to go 'Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr'!!

I'm really enjoying myself and feel I'm making progress!
I think it's important to be able to create melodies in your improvisations. Repition can be helpful (especially when you repeat phrases with subtle differences each time). It's easy to get carried away with patterns, but I prefer finding the notes with my ear and knowledge of the notes on the strings rather than using patterns (that way you can play in any position with ease). It's also important to recognise intervals, and vary the intervals you use when you improvise - use some short, and some long.