Registry of Guitar Tutors

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
Big Bad Bill

Has anybody actually followed this syllabus?

http://www.registryofguitartutors.co.uk ... guitar.htm

I've decided to have lessons and follow a well defined syllabus since I have some curious gaps in my abilities :oops: These people seem well organised and the grades are accredited by a respectable music board (London College of Music est 1887).

So has anyone here had experience of their tutors, exams or syllabus? Any comments or words of warning?
NoAngel

My ex teacher is listed for Nottinghamshire, but he doesn't teach anymore!

If I remember rightly, he said you just have to pay them to get listed. I can try and find out more if you want and if no-one else has any info.

One of the other Notts teachers used to work for the FE college that I work for.
Big Bad Bill

I guess the implication is that they may not be 'trained' teachers if they just pay a fee to register.

I was planning on trying out a few teachers to see how I like them before committing to a single person. What do people think of the syllabus?

http://www.registryofguitartutors.co.uk ... guitar.htm

Thanks for the info, NoAngel

miker

Why not buy one of the Practice Pal books for the level you intend to study at:

http://www.booksforguitar.co.uk/acatalo ... uitar.html

See if the curriculum is any good? ...15 pounds/British Sterling per book.
Big Bad Bill

I'll do that once I've found a teacher I like, miker. This is proving more difficult than I thought! Waiting for one to call me right now.

I guess I could do the grades on my own with the books, but I don't want to compound any problems I may have or develop-that's why I think I'm in my present situation of having bad habits and gaps in my knowledge! I think I should treat relearning guitar in the same way someone would who was learning violin or cello-ie under a watchful and experienced eye.
NoAngel

My teacher works in a guitar shop and he does his teaching through the shop. Perhaps you could try your local Sound Control (formerly Academy of Sound) shop and see if they do the same or know some teachers.
Big Bad Bill

Well the guy has called back and I'm going to have four lessons (£60) starting this Thursday. He's been a full time teacher for 18 years and seems to have a liking for jazz and classical guitar. I think I made myself clear that I don't want to learn these style and I said I'm into Vai/Stach et al. so we'll have to see. He seemed to think that learning classical was the best way to learn theory etc but I'm not sure I want to go down that route! Four lessons isn't a great commitment if I don't like his teaching. I guess finding somebody you like can take a while.

Thanks for your suggestion, NoAngel, if this doesn't turn out, I'll look into this option.
Big Bad Bill

Well I spent the night thinking about things and decided that I probably shouldn't have lessons with a person who doesn't play or listen to any Vai/Satch et al. and is actually a jazzer. I just think I'll be steered in a direction I don't want to go in-just yet.

So I've phoned around a bit more and found two possible candidates-one's into Vai/Satch et al. and the other is very familiar with their work but really into Dream Theater! Both sound promising and I'll try them both out!

This is harder than I thought!
NoAngel

It certainly threw me when my teacher stopped teaching. I had a lesson with a guy who wasn't into Vai/Satch etc. I think he said he liked some sort of fusion. I did not enjoy the lesson. If my current teacher hadn't come along, I think I would have given up. You've got to like your teacher, feel very cmfortable with them and have similar musical tastes.
ernzzz

I studied 3 years for now in a modern music conservatory.. that is mainly jazz.. and well at first i though it was a loss of time.. but now i can tell anything u can learn its necesary.. i think it helped me to understand music.. and that is a lot.. basically thanx to harmony and chords study..

and even if the theory basis its focused on jazz, it haves its good things... sometimes i can get as homework some lukather or jeff beck solo for technique learning... also studied a lot of digitations of scales... and i have a great example on my teacher... yet he loves country and rock.. i learned a lot of his technique... hes really flawless (played 28 years..).. and its great to be able to ask "hey whats that" when u see something magic or whatever.. also i feel encouraged when i'm asked for opinions (for the next show solo or whatever).. or for tapping ideas... it makes me accept his jazzy homework with a smile... if that dude understands my shit.. and considers that other basic... must have some reason...

and with all this i just want to encourage u.. anything u can learn comes in handy... when composing.. or on stage... be it bossa, funky, jazz, country, flamenco or whatever... be able to understand any style, and have a minimal idea of how works its great... and gives u a lot of ideas and helps to understand ur own music...
Big Bad Bill

Yeah, I can take that on board ernzzz and I know jazz harmony is very useful. But you're studying guitar to a very deep level-perhpas to become a professional, whereas most of us are simply want to be more enthused players-pushing us to play more and gain some useful knowledge on the way. I think being pushed into an area you're not enthusiastic about (jazz) would would further erode my desire to practice and learn.

So I'll stick to music I love and teachers who share my enthusiam-for the time being at least!
Big Bad Bill

I had my first lesson tonight and I don't know what to think. I hope I can be honest with you guys because I hope I'm amongst friends. I wasn't impressed with my teachers technique- at times he was sloppier than me, his vibrato was shallow and too quick-something we're always warned about- and when he fretted notes he'd often bend them off pitch! There were many things I didn't like. However his improvisation was pretty good in that it was musical compared to my pathetic effort! So that was very positive.

He suggested learning the CAGED system to learn the modes all over the fretboard which seems reasonable. I asked about taking the grades to fill any gaps in my knowledge. I was amazed when he suggested I was a grade 8 for many aspects of playing but on average he suggested we train up for a grade 4 in the first instance.

So I don't know whether I have unreasonable expectations. What do you think? I'm paying £20 for each lesson, so it's not a trivial cost.

Tomorrow, I try another teacher and then I have to choose!
Balex the Shizzle

if his technique is sloppy in places, i personally dont htink it matters as long as he can teach me what i want to learn.

choosing a teacher id keep an eye out for things other than technique, yeh, hes gotta be able to show you waht you want to learn, but a bit of poor vibrato doesnt matter as long as you learn from him, if he sounds like hes talking crap, or begins teaching you poor technique, thats bad.
vinccenzzo

Big Bad Bill

Thanks guys-this is really helpful stuff. I think my problem is I don't realise what I'm good at and what I'm not-or rather, I think I'm bad at everything! I thought I was a sloppy player (still do) but the teacher last night said I wasn't, I knew I was a bad improviser, but not as bad as I thought! So I need an experienced person to spot my problems!

Tonight, i meet teacher no. 2-a self-confessed shredder and Vai/Satch fan-so you can imagine I'm quite excited! I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again for all the advice and keep it rolling in!