economy or alternate?

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
arpeggio_owen

hey im an economy picker but every one else i know alternate picks and they say that economy picking is sloppy and you will not get as fast as with alternate picking, is this true?
Big Bad Bill

Perhaps we should ask Frank Gambale if he's sloppy! :lol:
UtopianFir
Newcomer

What's the difference?
The.jack

actually alternate picking gives an impression to the listeners ear that ur playing fast but economy picking even if its fast it gives a slow signal to the listeners ear well thats how i see it
precario

Go see some Rusty Cooley videos to see if that's true.
Penelope

both economy and alternate picking are important and very different tools.
Comparing the two is unnecessary. Economy picking is great for certain licks but is not very useful for licks that don't meet the standards required to use it. example would be 2 notes per string on every string exept for the 1st and 3rd string which would have 1 note per those 2 strings. economy picking could not be used for that. you would have to hammer on each 2nd note of the 2,3,4,5 strings which is no longer pure economy picking but a sort of hybrid. The 1 and 6 string ( which in my example has only one note per each string 1 and 6 would be a real problem as when you hit that string your pick is now on the other side of the string and has to again cross over the same string to get to either the 5, or 2 string, which is no longer economic. So again many situations are not wise for economy pick teqnique, nor is it wise to only write economy capable parts as that would be restrictive to you.

Alternate picking is great for either 1 string speed parts or multiple string parts that have even number notes per alot of the strings. For example a one string speed part like on string say.... 3 playing any pattern very fast and not having to change strings often, or at all. Or where even numbers are chosen per string like 2 notes on 1, 4 notes on 2, 2 notes on 3,4, and 5, and just to throw in the problem from the first paragraph 1 note on string one. Economy picking would be a train wreck where as alternate picking would be slightly difficult but the only real alternative unless you tap or hammer, pull... ect...
But if you have a lick with 1 note on string 6 , 3 notes on string 5, 4 notes on string 4, then back to 3 notes back on string 5, then 2 notes on string 6, then alternate picking will work about the same as it always does but....... economy picking would be the wiser choice because the pick would only cross the string in the direction of its natural towards each next note which can make the speed possible mind blowingly fast, by far faster and easier than alternate picking could ever accomplish.

One is not better than the other. They each have their uses,
But for ultimate speed, the patterns that work right with economy picking will always lend towards the highest speeds capable on guitar with the most ease.
treeduck

Penelope you're back!!! :? :shock:
Penelope

hmmmmmmm....... I'm sorry I'm back? :?
treeduck

Let me do that again...

Penelope you're back!!!!! :) :D :wink:
burnt out

Big Bad Bill wrote:Perhaps we should ask Frank Gambale if he's sloppy! :lol:
Nice to see somebody knows what they are talking about. 8)
j3

arpeggio_owen wrote:hey im an economy picker but every one else i know alternate picks and they say that economy picking is sloppy and you will not get as fast as with alternate picking, is this true?
I'd say that pretty much all of the really good players use both alternate and economy picking techniques though I'm guessing the majority of the better players lean to the side of economy picking.
Example of players that are more economy picking
Shawn Lane
Frank Gambale
Eric Johnson
Yngwie
Jimmy Bruno
Players that are more alternate picking
Paul Gilbert
John Petrucci
Steve Vai

Each style of picking has it's own sound. Obviously the change in sound is subject to the player's ability to execute economy picking properly, but classical players can tell, by ear, the difference between rest stroke and freestroke, so it shouldn't be a suprise that better players can tell the difference pretty much every time.
Just work on both, religiously, then let your RH do whatever it wants when you're improvising. If you're learning someone else's material, try to copy what you think they are doing, get it up to speed, then see if there's a better way, whether it be alternate for the sound or economy for the fluency. I wouldn't commit to either form of picking exclusively because the more options you have in terms of articulation, the more expressive you can ultimately play. I think being more versatile with your phrasing is a better goal than a higher maximum top-speed. You may also find that knowing one style actually enhances your ability to pick in the other style rather than simply taking your energies away from mastery of one particular stye of picking. The same argument goes for learning multiple instruments. At first, you might think spending an hour a day learning piano or drums is taking an hour away from your guitar practice, but 10 years down the line, you are going to be a much better guitar player because you've spent the time thinking about music in a different context--something no amount of guitar practice would really give you... not to mention the enhanced communication you'll have with other instrumentalists or the inherent benefits of knowing more than one instrument.
thelordofcheesecake

j3 wrote: Example of players that are more economy picking
Shawn Lane
Hmmm, sure :? . SL could economy pick, but you'll find the majority of his work, especially the insanely fast stuff, is alternate picked (unbelieveable, but true).
James W

treeduck wrote:Penelope you're back!!! :? :shock:
Whats important is that I'm back.

And I will point out that economy is VERY theoretically difficult for improvising, as you have to quickly figure out the most economical way of picking each passage.

J
treeduck

James W wrote:

:shock: :roll: :lol:
precario

treeduck wrote:
James W wrote:

:shock: :roll: :lol: