Whispering a Prayer technic

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
jem777vai
Newcomer

Somebody help me! Please! I´m listening and can´t identify what technic Vai use in Whispering a Prayer. It´s some new effect or what?
davester1234

he's using flo, and it comes equiped with a fernandes sustainer pickup.

He's also using a volume pedal for swells.

Moreoever, he hardly picks a note the entire melody. he just puts his hands on the whammy bar, dips in for every note, and plays everything legato. (no pick, just forces the notes out by hitting them hard with the right hand.)

very difficult to get the hang of, but easy to do when you've got a grasp on the technique.
Sustainer is required for the proper effect. :)
Dan

davester1234 wrote: (no pick, just forces the notes out by hitting them hard with the right hand.)

very difficult to get the hang of, but easy to do when you've got a grasp on the technique.
Sustainer is required for the proper effect. :)
Do you mean with the right hand (whammy), or that he's hammering them with his left hand?

Too bad I won't have enough money for a sustainer for quite a while :(, but I love the way it sounds. awesome.
RAI

I think he meant "Left hand"......
Yeah, hammer-on with left, dip the whammy and swell the volume.
Oh, and that little detail called the Sustainer!
That should take care of it.......
:)
Blair

I managed to copy the style, by using the volume pedal for the smooth swells as opposed to the colume control! A little delay esp in the faster section, and the main thing that makes it is an artificial feedbacker to get that fernandes sustainer sound. All courtesy of my BOSS GT-6! 8). Mind aint as good as the reel thing.... but then how could it be!? :roll: