Steve´s Tapping Style --> Tab?

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
Passion & Warfare

Hi,

Steve´s tapping style like in the first G3 Video/DVD, i think after the first Vai song... has anyone tabbed it down?

I´m interessted in how he is doing this. It sound awesome. He´s using 2 right fingern to tap and uses his pick sometimes.

thx
ppvai

in the end of answers? :roll:
knarfzednem

i don't believe he used the pick to tap.i think it's just the middle and ring finger.
BlackCat

u can download answers from the net from this g3, but the best (I think) way to see Vai's tap on the tab is in the WINDOWS to the soul tab, its specific way of tapping and it is clearly tabbed on that song.
Passion & Warfare

I did not mean that he uses the pick to tap, but picking the string and tapping with his fingers. Not in the song Answers but right after it. Well I´ll check out Window to the soul. thx.
knarfzednem

oh okay.i guess he just picks it again for accenting maybe.i do that a lot too.i don't have a tab but he uses that same kind of pattern after Jibboom on the Astoria dvd.
TonyMacalpine

i saw steve in a lecture demonstration one time talking about his two hand tapping style and he uses his second and third fingers (occasionally his pick) and sometimes he taps each note 2x before proceeding with the left hand portion of the lick. its similar to ballistic pick taps, but has the timbre of a finger tapped note (also a little slower by nature, steve is very fast at it in addition to using delay to provide a more lush/full sound). he tends to lean on 9ths, 6ths, 4ths, and 3rds (the pretty notes of a scale) alot in his playing (keep that in mind if youre trying to sound like him or if youre trying not to sound like him).
dweezil 9

Hey man, if you go to www.powertabs.net and search for answers g3, the tab will only have the solo, which i assure you is no easy task, but if you put time into it you'll learn a lot.
Guitar_freaak

The G3 answers ending solo on the power tab archive is not very accurate , i tabbed out a quite accurate version a while back , but its not done like the proper power tabs , as it was my very first tab but it still sounds very close to it . If you want it i can email you it , and anyone else that wants it . (in poer tab format ) .

anyone who wants it , just pm me your email and ill attach it .
GrazZ

that is prob one of my fav tapping passes ever, i just love the sound/feel/mood he creates from that

and i'd like a copy of that tab actually: grasshopper_tm@hotmail.com
James W

Use your ears to figure it out.

You can also see him doing it! FFS... don't be so lazy.

J
Guitar_freaak

Well that depends wether you want to play it note for note , or something that sounds close to the original ...