VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:54 am 

Go to:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?DB=pubmed

and put the name Zatorre into the search function and you'll get a load of papers by this guy. Scroll through and you'll find lots of articles about absolute pitch and music and brain. You might not be able to download whole papers but you'll get a synopsis. If you want the pdf of the absolute pitch paper I can email it to anyone interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:46 am 

NextStopEarth wrote:
ultrazone_seeker wrote:
to the extent of my knowledge, that's actually not true (i don't know if you're going to like hearing this next bit...). supposedly everyone's born with it, but most people lose it due to lack of use.

How can someone be born with it?? You have to understand the concept of pitches and note names to be able to identify one that is played...and I know no one is born knowing that.
it's not in conjunction with the knowledge of theory, that's just not possible. but basically, infants up to a certain age have the intuitive capacity for it. it's just one of those things that contribute to a child's phenomenal learning capacity mentally... along with a whole lot of other stuff that it's necessary to unlearn in this world, because as you get older, it starts becoming a bad thing as it keeps you overly impressionable. :roll:

but i digress.

my esteemed fellow forum member Big Bad Bill has gone on to say a lot of the same things as i have, but with the good scientific details to back it up rather than my weak statement of "i read somewhere". i recommend you direct your attention to his posts in this thread from now on if you want the whole story. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:09 am 

That's very generous of you ultrazone_seeker, but I'm just a chubby man sitting in a lab-albeit with a liking for Vai!!

It's amazing what is out there when you look for it-people are researching all sorts of stuff like the "dangers of texting when walking" to "curing shortsightedness by resting weights on the eyes"!!

What is nice about this forum is everyone is just so clued up or willing to be and up for a good debate. And when people disagree, flaming is a rarity!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:05 am 

Bill, admittedly i did sorta build you up as being a bit more knowledgeable than you'd claim to be on this subject. i just remembered you giving some information that happened to kind of confirm what i'd said, but didn't remember specifically where. so rather than saying your posts in general, perhaps i should have done the right thing first of all and just quoted your specific post from the other thread (the locked one).

here it is now, just so we're all clear on this...

Quote:
I'm a Neuroscientist who does research on music and the brain and I've had long conversations with people who research specifically on this subject-we're talking world experts-Robert Zatorre, Isabelle Peretz et al. It seems we all have perfect pitch up to about the age of 13 months after which it disappears in most people. They have localised which brain areas are involved etc etc. But nobody has any evidence that true absolute pitch can be developed! In addition when I repeatedly emailed Burge and his company to read the '401 page research from Ohio State University' they were less than helpful and avoided giving me references or access to it! Make of that what you will! Also, have you actually met anyone who has used the course and shown it to work? I don't mean 'testimonials' (which are essentially useless, but persuasive!) but real people. I doubt it! I bought it years ago and used it with no success.

I'd suggest the effects he claims as a result of his 'method' are more likely to be a result of 'learning' pitches rather than true absolute pitch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:06 am 

My story about the perfect pitch raises since I was 4, I can remember that I could sing along with songs in the same note or doing intervals to the main voice of any song without even realizing it and at that timeI just kept learning songs on guitar all by ear all the time.

For me it was a common hability, so everybody may do that, until I knew that I have perfect pitch when I was 15, when my music theacher noticed that I could pull out melodic lines immediately, the he asked me to sing notes and/or guess them while listening and I could and still can do that without trouble.

Perfect pitch has helped me in a huge way in so many aspects, in an ensemble, studio or at a gig or whatever I know I can't be wrong and also I help people to develop that.

I must say that perfect pitch doesn't make you play better in any way, technique, musical idea or your hability in your instrument are very apart from the perfect pitch thing which is a very powerful tool for a musician.
There are great musicians that make amazing things without having perfect pitch, so musicality comes from other places, not always from good ear skills..

If you have it, great, if you don't, try to develop it, it will help you in a really long way :)

Regards.

P.S. use earplugs :!: hehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:25 am 

The definitive answer about the usefulness of absolute pitch for WSK!

But the real issue is whether, without having the genetic predisposition to having AP as a adult, one can develop it. The scientifically gathered evidence from thousands of people-not isolated cases, suggests not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:53 am 

I don't have relative pitch, but I builded it. Think about this way: the day have 24 hours. I pass 18 or 20 hours of the day listening to music(sometimes even then I'm sleeping). I can sing along in my pitch and when I'm sing with the song i get the same pitch of the vocal. Beign a baritone, I can imitate some female singers with at least good effect. I can get songs by ear pretty easy, and also can remeber a song that I've listened one time only. Sometimes I do melodic solfeggio on guitar solos that are pretty complicated. The most damn thing that I doed is get by ear the organ solo of Dm toccata and fugue for organ by Bach. I'm listened this song before I sleep. On the morning I picked up my guitar and made the damn thing in one shot. :mrgreen:

And so the Relative pitch is nothing when you don't give a use for it. And the realtive pitch is realtive too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:56 am 

firslty this is a little late so sorry bout that...

seconly, I didn't manage all 11 pages of the thread, so this may have already been covered... If you want a little programme that REALLY helps with this stuff check out a programme called EAROPE.

It's an awesome programme that works on focusing on chord, interval, scale recognition and anything else you need including rythms too.... you won't actually get perfect pitch from using this but 20mins a day nd u'll be able to work huge amounts of info out without your guitar!!! awesome if you hear something and your not near your guitar to try work it out... this isn't a plug but IT'S THE SHIT!

Post subject: Re: Perfect Pitch
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:25 am 

So there were quite a few people who've bought into (been duped into?) the David L Burge method to acquire perfect pitch and they've had quite some time to practise all the drills too? So come on, who now has perfect pitch as a result? At least one person must have developed it if Burge is to be believed? Please tell us if you have.

Post subject: Re: Perfect Pitch
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:22 am 
Newcomer

in my opinion , perfect pitch isn't so easy , most of the cases it's natural , you born with it ... if you come to learn , it will obviously sound really good , but not better than someone who always had it naturally...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11