VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 7:49 pm 

I was working on something like that in C on Linux a while ago, but i never finished it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 7:53 pm 

Prez - I think I won't need those as I'm familiar enough with learning ability for pitch recognition and all. Thanks though.

I think that it may be as usefull to have a pitch recognition program as it would be to have an interval recognition program.

Of course the second one is much easier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 8:24 pm 

so is this course worth getting? i mean is it worth it for the money? i've been thinking about trying to get some ear training goin seeing as it would really help to get into Musicians Institute. any help? anyone...bueller? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 9:04 pm 

Learning scales and notes using Joe Satriani's pitch-axis theory can help ingrain the sounds on notes and chords into your ears. It helped me learn a bunch of exotic scales, as well as the basic ones, like Aeolian, Lydian, Ionian, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 9:09 pm 

WyldeGuitar wrote:
so is this course worth getting? i mean is it worth it for the money? i've been thinking about trying to get some ear training goin seeing as it would really help to get into Musicians Institute. any help? anyone...bueller? :)

If you want your pitch recognition to be extremely high (perfect is impossible), then await the program.

It is physically impossible to use a non-interactive training program, or your own playing, to gain high pitch recognition accuracy.

This is why most people who say they have "perfect pitch" absolutely don't. They don't even hav a high accuracy, unless it's certain sets of notes which we can all detect...........

Also, most "perfect pitch" methods are goin to cause to have weak spots in your ability because they are bias, and they do not allow enough time between notes for you to recognize a certain pitch versus an actual interval.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 6:24 am 

XSteveDudeX wrote:
Learning scales and notes using Joe Satriani's pitch-axis theory can help ingrain the sounds on notes and chords into your ears. It helped me learn a bunch of exotic scales, as well as the basic ones, like Aeolian, Lydian, Ionian, etc.

Where can i find this pitch-axis theory?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 7:10 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

GuitarMaster wrote:
Of course - it could also have a section for relative intervalic recognition.

However there is a small section of non-random organization listening processes which work is exercises done at any time between sessions.

The first you need to specify, as with most other things. I can't program 'coulds', I need 'musts'.. :) There is no such thing as an incertainty variable.. :)

The second you need to explain to me in Total Dummy Language, because that one went just right over my head. Must be all the wine from the past few days.

So, be specific. How about a functional design diagram or flowchart?

Secondly, I may be wrong, but I have a feeling that there are tools out there that allready can do this. I'll see if I can dig some up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 9:42 am 

Prez - "pitch axis theory" isn't worthy of having such a cool sounding name. It really won't do as much for you as is asserted by Satriani and others. But if you want, search google I'm sure something pops up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 4:00 pm 

pitch axis theory is awesome when used right. The best example is the breakdown in Satch Boogie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 4:37 pm 

shader wrote:
pitch axis theory is awesome when used right. The best example is the breakdown in Satch Boogie.

Yes. But it's just a "lick" or pattern or riff. There is no such thing as the theory in the statement. It's just pitch axis. There isn't any new theory involved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 12:25 pm 
Newcomer

For everybody interested in learning or testing perfect pitch:

www.prolobe.com

Be sure to check the discussion forum there as well.
Another interesting one of the topic is Chris Aruffo's journal
on his site www.acousticlearning.com

Good luck for everyone enchanting their ears!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:18 am 

This is so weird, i can heard what all the open strings top to bottom on my guitar are in my head and tune to them more or less perfectly, but i can only do this with E-A-D-G-B-E (the guitar strings lol) so do you think that if i tried to learn all the notes inbetween then i'd more or less have perfect pictch? lol It only seems like i can distinguish and hear them on records when they're the same as the guitar strings in the open position.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:49 am 

I know I have really good relative pitch. A few summers ago me and another guy who I was in a band with heard that the local radio station was doing a fun little thing. You had to SING your request. So me and my buddy called up and requested (sang) in harmony with no prior listening the intro to 'Carry on Wayward Son'. We hit it so perfectly that the radio DJ spliced us in and made it sound like we did the intro before the real song kicked in. Pretty cool, eh????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:26 pm 

COOL!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:22 pm 

Andelusion wrote:
This is so weird, i can heard what all the open strings top to bottom on my guitar are in my head and tune to them more or less perfectly, but i can only do this with E-A-D-G-B-E (the guitar strings lol) so do you think that if i tried to learn all the notes inbetween then i'd more or less have perfect pictch? lol It only seems like i can distinguish and hear them on records when they're the same as the guitar strings in the open position.

Lack of practice hearing the strings, use a capo and listen to the other strings and this will help.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next