i just transcribed the black page!

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
gmoneymcfly2k
Newcomer

i just want to boast for a second, only because this is the first time i have completed something like this.

the black page (zappa) is a bitch!

george
Andelusion

Great.
SPQR

Does'nt make you Steve Vai. Infect me wrong and show me the transrciption
vinccenzzo

Dude, can you imagine if you had done it some 25 years ago and sent it to Zappa ? Today we would be talking about you on this message board :)
Music is always a matter of timing...
j3

gmoneymcfly2k wrote:i just want to boast for a second, only because this is the first time i have completed something like this.

the black page (zappa) is a bitch!

george
What a waste of time :roll:
Ariel

What song is the black page? And stop bitching guys. Stop being jaleous. I've never heard the song, but let him be happy damnit. Human nature is so weird
shader

It has stuff like polyrhythms where you have a triplet with septuplets and quintuplets inside it, making it very diffucult to transcribe by ear.

2 measures from it:

being able to figure this out without cheating is bragable :wink:

PS: Fortheloveofgod, for the love of god, stop being such an asshat.
Hobophobic

Ariel wrote:And stop bitching guys. Stop being jaleous. I've never heard the song, but let him be happy damnit. Human nature is so weird
Yeah, I always love watching the "Oh yeah, that's nothing!" people come out of the woodwork whenever somebody is happy about something they did. Whiney-arsed losers, have some juice and take a nap... you're getting cranky. :P
Magmas

What is so tough about that? Can't you read music?
Balex the Shizzle

what is it with some people on this board, you guys are for the most part great, but i dont get why people have to belittle peoples efforts...

would we still get the same belittling if we were on, say, the busted forums...?

people of all ranges of skill and talent use this board, of all different styles of music

surely you remember when you thought tabbing things like that was nigh on impossible?
shader

Magmas wrote:
What is so tough about that? Can't you read music?
I'm going to assume that was directed at me.

The difficulty isn't in reading it. It's transcribing it from just a live audio recording. I know I couldn't do it
Knightmeir

It's been a while since I've really looked through this forum, and I've noticed a lot of angry little people have started to ruin it. Christ, be happy for someone for a change. Nitpicky teens :roll:
miker

In a 1985 LA GIT seminar... a bit younger Steve Vai talked about transcribing. He strongly recommended reading as much as you can... and transcribing as much stuff as you can. He recommends Gardner Reed's "Music Notation" book as a good reference for how to transcribe properly -- we're not talking tablature here.

Waste of time? ...doubt Steve would think so.

Congratulations. I understand that is a most difficult piece to transcribe, and I am sure you got a lot out of writing it down.
Magmas

My first remark was meant for shader, not the original poster. Great work that you have trascribed such a difficult song! Transcribing a song is tough, but shader, what you had originally said was that being able to understand that notation would be tough, and that is not too true. Anyway...

I think that most guitar players now are a lot better than guitar players were on average say 40 or 50 years ago. With every generation the bar is raised higher and kids have more stuff to practice, a higher standard to shoot for. I am a lot better than most professional guitar players from the 50's or 60's... if I were alive then I would have made some people shit, but nowadays that is not true, I have to work my ass off to barely keep up. So while transcribing the black page is awesome, the only thing that will REALLY impress anyone anymore is if you could WRITE something as cool and complex as the black page. :)

Props to Steve...

But MAD props to Zappa....
shader

Um, no.
That's not what I said.

I said "very difficult to transcribe by ear"

I wrote a black-pageish piece a while ago. i tried to keep the whole "not quite tonal" feel of it (which he does by switching scales a lot) going. It kind of sucked.