John 5

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
Martian Love

John 5 is one of my favourite guitarists ever. What do you think about him and his new solo CD (Vertigo) ?

john-5.com
Balex the Shizzle

i love him, tho i havent got the album... i really wanna get it but im skint :(
godofshred

got the album, like, the day it came out...he's no vai, but he is awsome!! very innovative
axehappy

I didn't like his album very much... he's a good player, but his songwriting isn't all that good... a lot of the songs just sounded like random noises played one after the other. :?
beckisagod

What does this have to do with techniques? :?
Balex the Shizzle

good point...

well, lets make it to do with techniques, anyone got any tips on where to start for learning some of his bluegrass style playing?
Instrumentalrockrocks

His music is good but I don't like his image it's just so so so.....uhhhh
Marilyn Manson thingy... :? :shock:

Not that it really matters or anything but Steve has got a much better image... 8)

Shred On :guitar
Tom Gilroy

He is wasted with MM.
Leeroy

I have the record and cannot decide how I feel about it. He's undoubtedly super talented and the country style stuff really makes me smile (how can you listen to that without a smile on your face?). The electric stuff is interesting, but very weird. I hear a lot of Satriani influence on the non-country stuff. It's not a bad record by any means, but I just don't find it to be the kind of thing I can listen to over and over again.

Cheers,
Lee
u2

so he plays blue grass?
shader

He's a good player, i don't like his album much though
guitar_love

his image rocks man. Like agothic virtioso guitarist lol, not many of those around.

yeh hes good man, some wicked runs and very unuthoradox....taleneted guy

peace 8)
Martian Love

I agree that his image is pretty wierd...I couldn't see him playing in a G3, but I hope that he will. On the wrapper that the CD came in, there was a sticker with a quote that Steve Vai wrote about how great John5 is...So maybe there is hope for him to be in a G3.
For those of you who aren't fimiliar with John5 or his new CD, he is wild country, shred, bluegrass, and metal guitarist. The way he fuses all these types of music together is pretty awsome.

CHECK HIM OUT. We need more people doing instrumental albums.

Peace
Vegas_Blues

Mike Varney is a good friend of mine, and he gave me John's record....I think it's pretty neat......BUT......

I have BIGGER news :)

Mike just gave me a copy of John5's new album (to be released on the 13th of September) and it features Steve Vai on a track called Perineum, and it showcases some killer phrasing and a unique ear for melody from the master Vai :)

So, pick it up when it comes out, its called Songs for Sanity.