guitarists under 18

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
DankyD
Newcomer

#31 Post by DankyD » Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:08 pm

by 18? you should be able to jack off and do insane legato at the same time :shock:

kpxmikey89

#32 Post by kpxmikey89 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:46 pm

lol.. r u guys all serious abou this?

shredder

#33 Post by shredder » Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:27 am

i was playing far beyond the sun when i was still a stain, then yngwie copied me.

SemiShred

#34 Post by SemiShred » Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:54 am

I'm 15 and i can play a few paganini songs

realillusions

#35 Post by realillusions » Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:00 am

im 16 and prefer to not learn songs, but practise exercises and just write my own stuff all the time, who needs to play a song to prove they are gd. i just hate people who say well im 15 and i can play this and that, but just dont have a clue what they wanna do or where they wanna go with the guitar, people need idols but i dnt like it when people say i wish i was vai or i wish i was yngwie, my wish is to become a guitarist known for my playing and noone else's.

munchocruncho

#36 Post by munchocruncho » Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:26 pm

Im 15 and i ca...nt...play...anyth...ing..:oops:

James W

#37 Post by James W » Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:10 am

A prerequisite for being only a decent player at 16 is for you to have grown two extra arms and play Paganini's 5th and 24th caprice simultaneously on MAB's quad-guitar, whilst discussing platonian metaphysics in ancient greek.

V41

#38 Post by V41 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:52 am

James W wrote:A prerequisite for being only a decent player at 16 is for you to have grown two extra arms and play Paganini's 5th and 24th caprice simultaneously on MAB's quad-guitar, whilst discussing platonian metaphysics in ancient greek.
Finally, an answer not dripping with sarcasm! :roll:

:mrgreen:

I'll be 18 in August. Guess my chance and stardom is almost done! I have to be a shredder by age 6! 8)

Mr_Guitarman

#39 Post by Mr_Guitarman » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:18 am

i don't know if this reply has been posted but age doesn't matter. I have 16 year old students that are blown away by my 12 year olds and 14 year olds that blow away a couple of my 50 year old students age doesn't matter if you plan to be alive for another 5 years then keep practicing it isn't what you can do, but what you want to do. You have to have goals and if your goal is to learn every Vai song ever written then you will be a different kind of player then someone who only wants to right music they could be the same age from the same town playing at the same and even play together occasionally they will be different who can anyone compete if a person has different goals then yourself. The right questions should be I have been playing for Blank time and 18 years old what type of goals should i have by this time if I want to pursue music as a cereer.

IbanezGuitarist

stop worring about your playing

#40 Post by IbanezGuitarist » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:06 am

Hi everybody its my first time posting. I have read most of the posts on this topic and heres what I have to say. Im 17 years old and have been playing for 10 years, I love Satch, Vai, Jason Becker, SRV, Yngwie, Dream Theater, Vinnie Moore and Pink Floyd. Now I can play a lot of stuff like recently I learned all of the Dream Theater Scenes from a Memory album, I can play lots of Vai and Satch songs, Altitudes by Jason Becker and Concerto and both guitar parts of Speed Metal Symphony by Cacophony. BUT WHO CARES. Dont beat yourself up b/c you dont think that you're up to par with other guitarists, b/c if you look at it that way then you're playing for the wrong reason. Who care about how good you should be play what you want to play, dont think that you have to go be the next Jason Becker or shred the hell out of everyone else. Play for fun not b/c its a compitition (because its not). You improve so much more by playing for fun then playing b/c you feel your not at the right level. Just have a good time and it will happen.

another virtuoso

#41 Post by another virtuoso » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:31 am

for one, it has nothing to do with age. 40 year old man will pick up a guitar for 1 year and not be as good as a kid playing for 10 lol.
generally, these 'ranks' are said to be" playing under 1 yr, 2-3 yr, 4+. thats for stuff like Guitar Workshop at least, just so they can put you in a group thats mostly on the same level as you.

but then, it all just depends on what you have naturally and how much you put into it.

Ryan Layton
Banned

#42 Post by Ryan Layton » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:48 am

It is true that age does not matter. I started playing at age 12. By 13, I could play FTLOG and Warm Regards. Technical stuff isn't hard. Anyone can drill it into their brains with endless practice. I have now purposly lost most of my speed and replaced it with feeling. Don't judge yourself based on WHAT you play, but on HOW you play. If you can express yourself properly, then you have done what you need to do.

Untamed
Newcomer

#43 Post by Untamed » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:55 am

I started at 15, and I just turned 17 not too long ago.
I can play Arpeggios from hell, Far beyond and sun, Eruption, Crossroads End Solo, Erotomania to name the big shredders I can do all clean. Ugh I want to attack No boundaries by Micheal Angelo next, I don't think I'll be able to play it with my hand OVER the neck like him though, that crazy #&$?.
Anyhow I'm happy with my quick progress and many people are mad at me because of it :?. Blah.

Although I am aiming for a style that mixes shredding and soul/groove/feeling kinda like Steve Morris. Most of the time I prefer pulling out Tender Surrender or a Satch song or just improvise. I play alot of classical things on my acoustic too, it's always sexy to pull off.

V41

#44 Post by V41 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:56 am

Not to put Michael Angelo down, but pull offs and flutters over the neck with your hand isn't that hard to do, try it some time.

thelordofcheesecake

#45 Post by thelordofcheesecake » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:45 am

V41 wrote:Not to put Michael Angelo down, but pull offs and flutters over the neck with your hand isn't that hard to do, try it some time.
Hmm, but what he does isn't exactly that. Tis a leetle more complex.