guitarists under 18

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
777plm

#16 Post by 777plm » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:12 pm

oh come on now jason becker ? man i really dont expect alot of people in general to have the skills to play that any way . so 16 hmmm i dont think so .......well you can if when you were introduced to it at a early age and had been playing since you were 7, 8, or 9 possibly 11 and starting off that early with knowledge of that would get you to all that stuff like jason becker and paganini's caprices . And to play yngwie's stuff pretty close to his style and accuracy ? ha .... there are very few that could do that if they had been starting off at age 15 turning 16 and expecting to play that WITHIN A YEAR OR TWOS SPAN now not saying that you do cause i dont really know how long you have been playing........ and you seem too compeitive which in some places get you no where succesful with your music and would never give the true emotion steve has or joe and yes even yngwie and cant forget about john either. so with that mentality ........good luck. Im 16 myself and have been playing for a year and a half and practice eight ,nine hours a day depending on the day, and pretty much can play alot of steve vai -yngwie malmsteen and some caprices and alot of two-hand tapping like joe but not to the point to were its almost accurate and ill go into guitar center sit down and do my thing play some stuff and people will hear me and say ( howold are you ?) and i would replie ( 16 ) ... then in shock ( i would never expect a kid to do that at that young of age ) ( how long have you been playing?) .... i would then replie again and say ( a year and a half ) so that comes to my point that no one will really expect a kid to do all that ..now some people say ( oh well they probly dont know of these people such as steve vai and joe satriani ) but the people that seem shocked about it the most are the ones that actually know a good bit of knowledge about these musicians. SO IF YOU HAVE BEEN PLAYING FOR NO LONGER THAT 2 YEARS THEN I WOULD NOT THINK ALOT OF PEOPLE COULD PULL OFF YNGWIES STUFF THUS STEVE'S EITHER. YOU HAVE TO BE VERY GIFTED TO DO THAT WITHIN A YEARS SPAN . BUT IF YOU BEEN PLAYING FOR OVER TWO AND HALF YEARS OR THREE AND THAT WHEN YOU STARTED OFF WITH GUITAR YOU WOULD START WITH KNOWLEDGE OF STEVES STUFF THEN I WOULD EXPECT MAYBE SOMETING A LITTLE MORE .......................BUT OTHER THAN THAT I REALLY WOULDNT . but hey that just my 2 cents.

shyboy12

#17 Post by shyboy12 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:35 am

Yeah, that's true. I started playing when I was 12.

Ragnar III

#18 Post by Ragnar III » Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:27 pm

I'm 16 and can play most Dream Theater solos, alt pick 16ths at 280 bpm, sweep and do tapping arps and such, but I started when I was 6 so that kinda skews it I guess

dzdncnfsd

#19 Post by dzdncnfsd » Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:44 pm

16ths at 280? Are youe sure?

MidnightStranger
Newcomer

#20 Post by MidnightStranger » Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:14 am

I can´t play Mystical potato head groove thing, FTLOG or play 16th on 280 bpm. Cos I think it´s unnecessary for me. I would like to play my music, my own compositions, do my solos, which will sound for other people incredibly. I needn´t play songs from other guitarist. Because I want to be good in playing my own stuff, not stuff form other.

Vaiper

#21 Post by Vaiper » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:35 am

Guys, the whole point of being a guitarist is to do things for yourself. Just 'cos you can't play what some other guy you know plays doesn't make you a bad guitarist. The only Vai song I can play is FTLOG, even then its messy, but I don't let that affect me because I can sit for hours making up little riffs. Last Night I did it for at least 2 hours. If you can do things your own way and not care what others do, THATS impressive.

Alex Smith

#22 Post by Alex Smith » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:28 am

"You don't work the guitar, you play it." - Les Paul

fat_fish

#23 Post by fat_fish » Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:07 am

Hey guys come on......
You all know this guitarist , Eric clapton? He started only playing at 17 and is now a guitar legend :shock:
Its not about when you start to play ,what standard are you now...its about playing with "real" expression and emotion.Everybody is unique, everybody is an individual.It is only your true identity that make you special.

Tom Gilroy

#24 Post by Tom Gilroy » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:48 pm

I'm sixteen and I can play alot of Eric Johnson stuff. I still feel way behind though. I don't play any Vai just yet. I'm in an EJ phase. Ok it's more like an EJ life but I should be learning some Vai soon.

kpxmikey89

#25 Post by kpxmikey89 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:29 pm

EJ is awesome, i wana learn some of his stuff while still dingging up G3 stuff

Ragnar III

#26 Post by Ragnar III » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:31 pm

sorry, I meant 260, not 280

RhandyRhoads
Newcomer

uhhhh

#27 Post by RhandyRhoads » Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:31 am

im not too bad and im 13, but fudge know where near as good as the people on this site haha

Jad87
Newcomer

MUsic is aabout feeling

#28 Post by Jad87 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:20 am

U can be the next vai but if u don't feel u r worth poopoo . Technique should be the way to send the feeling not feeling itself.If u have been playing for 3 years seriously you should be able to play for the love of god.j

thedeciple
Newcomer

first time

#29 Post by thedeciple » Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:23 am

i'm 15 been playing for a while now(god knows how long )

most people on this are begginers right?!
you should try learning the stuff on "passion and warfare"
it's got a good mix of styles and it's not the hardest stuff in the world
so plz let me know how u get on @ it :D

it would be preferable if u e-mail me! :wink:

thedeciple
Newcomer

#30 Post by thedeciple » Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:27 am

... Also you can buy books called something like guitar rock school or something they were really helpful

Just do what i sed and i'll see u @ the next G3, ok?