guitarists under 18

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
UtopianFir
Newcomer

#61 Post by UtopianFir » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:04 pm

I'm 19, I can't play any vai, satch, or gilbert songs but I can cover any style of music and I honestly don't care to learn other peoples songs. I think time is better spent practicing and composing your own music. Sure you will learn some from playing other peoples songs, but alot of the time all you end up doing is coping their licks and their style. This world lacks originality and we need all the new talent we can get. Don't take this as me with my nose to the sky, because I am quite the contrary.
:twisted: Melt Face From Town To Town :twisted:

kpxmikey89

Re: guitarists under 18

#62 Post by kpxmikey89 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:58 pm

Real_Confusions wrote:[
When you're that young, you need to worry about graduating high school. Then, you can worry about how good you are at guitar.[/quote]

haha, i mean look at yngwie! he quit school when he was in junior high! :?

DAYLIGHT_ROBBERY
Newcomer

#63 Post by DAYLIGHT_ROBBERY » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:40 am

yeah its not all about playin fast and playing every trick its about riting music ppl can listen to and ppl can stay intrested to and listen to over and over

Thereasonulive

#64 Post by Thereasonulive » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:04 pm

yeah its about expessing your self through the instrument youve chose and how u feel at the time

James W

#65 Post by James W » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:39 am

Age doesn't really matter. Satriani was not amazing in his teens. John Coltrane was a really late comer. And as I've pointed out Allan Holdsworth stated when he was 17.

Theres no point in lamenting one's age. Just work hard.

J

The Prez

#66 Post by The Prez » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:24 am

I was under 18 i think when i joined but that was a couple of years ago.

SalamanderExcess

#67 Post by SalamanderExcess » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:58 pm

Guitar is not a race, why are people proving how fast they can play? who cares??? if you tell us you have souul and the groove, let us hear you then we can say if your true to the geetaar! Theres a guy younger than me who can play the whole of michaelangelos speed kills, do i care??? ....... well maybe a bit cos its funking awesome but stillll, no funk in that piece is there?

vaicantation

#68 Post by vaicantation » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:24 pm

How can you guys play 4 hours a day (i know Vai played 12 or so)? I play 1-2...I sometimes just cant take more! I dont know...Maybe my amp sounds like craaaaaaap ("stagg" 15W), thanks God i have an ibanez rg...

mental speedin

#69 Post by mental speedin » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:01 am

yeah by 16 i was playin giant balls of gold............juice.......shyboy........mystical potato head groove thing.........far beyond the sun etc n i only started guitar wen i was 13 p.s i won the guitar hero comp wen i was 16 aswell 8)

kpxmikey89

#70 Post by kpxmikey89 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:20 pm

mental speedin wrote:yeah by 16 i was playin giant balls of gold............juice.......shyboy........mystical potato head groove thing.........far beyond the sun etc n i only started guitar wen i was 13 p.s i won the guitar hero comp wen i was 16 aswell 8)
guitar hero competition?

peavey_EVH_wolfgang
Newcomer

#71 Post by peavey_EVH_wolfgang » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:48 pm

Playing the most technical songs in the world doesnt make you a great guitarist. Just want to make that clear. Neither does playing 12 notes per second and all of that speed crap. Ive been playing since I was 14 and am 16 but am not that great seeing as I only left sunset boulevard (green day and all that crap) at around my later days of 15.

V41

#72 Post by V41 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:18 pm

vaicantation wrote:How can you guys play 4 hours a day (i know Vai played 12 or so)? I play 1-2...I sometimes just cant take more! I dont know...Maybe my amp sounds like craaaaaaap ("stagg" 15W), thanks God i have an ibanez rg...
Try typing up and printing out a very precise practice schedule, such as

"
15 minutes: warm-up
30 minutes: chords
1 hour: alternate picking

"

Something like that. Whatever you need to work on. I just threw out random times and stuff, you could make your own though. I made one for 8 hours and I actually do it now. I used to only practice 1-2 hours a day, sometimes less.

:D

vaifan1
Newcomer

guitar

#73 Post by vaifan1 » Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:41 am

I went to the Berklee college of music five-week this summer, and I would like to explain the general Berklee perspective on how good you should be. Basically at Berklee if you ask most teachers how good you should be at a certain age, they would tell you there is not one set skill level that you need to be at. It all depends on how much you work and how much you care. If you practice once a week, well don't expect to be at Jason Becker's level when you are sixteen. Its easy to worry about where you stand as far as technique compared to other people at your age. I would say that no matter how proficient you are, someone your age somewhere has much better technique. So instead of being concerned about how you compare, think about what makes you unique. Vai has great technique but truthfully I don't think his technique is what brought him to the top. If you listen to his works, he has always had an identifiable voice. Jason Becker was technically brilliant at sixteen and I think if you really dig that music (I definitely do) then you should aim to be technichally great. You should not however let it consume you. I believe that the people who are truly dedicated to playing at that level of technical skill eventually reach that level, however if you don't have feel and original ideas, than the technique is just a trick. Jason Becker is so respected partly because of his technique, but if you really listen to perpetual burn you'll hear how great his musical mind and compositional ability are. to put it simply Jason Becker is Jason Becker because he makes beautiful music and plays it beautifully. Vai is the don of rock guitar because he has a unique voice writes beautiful muisic, and plays it beautifully. So don't feel that you need to meet a certain standard to be good, just practice hard and care ALOT.

Balex the Shizzle

#74 Post by Balex the Shizzle » Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:25 pm

in reply to the guy who said yngwie dropped out of school, he made it because he took the world by storm with his technical ability, dropping out of school wouldnt be a good idead nowadays unless you were a really good rapper (unfortunatly)

i only hope the tables turn back to technical ability and ability to write music as opposed to image and large labels pet 'musicians'

acid
Newcomer

#75 Post by acid » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:54 pm

Im 17 now and at 16 i could play the arpeggio sections in altitudes by jason becker fairly clean as well. Working on serrana at the moment i can play it but just need to work on it getting it perfectly clean. But dont stress yourself trying to play really hard stuff play things you enjoy to play. I love sweep picking and arpeggio sequences although im still constantly researching different shapes etc. Just carry on learning and eventually you'll get really good as long as you have fun.