guitarists under 18

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
kpxmikey89

guitarists under 18

#1 Post by kpxmikey89 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:56 pm

how much do u guys expect from guitarists under 18?
for example, im turnign 16 this year,

but how much do u expect frm a 16 year old, do u expect me to play the eugenes trick bag right,
sweep yngwies arps like its nothing,
know all the 5 boxes of pentatnics,
can play the 3-neck guitar solo from i know youre here,
play about atleast 12 notes per second,
can play the solo to ozzy's mr.crowley song,
can play evh's eruption, etc.....

waht do u guys think, and how good u think guitarists under 18 should be?

miker

#2 Post by miker » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:02 pm

Yah... you're partly right...

If you haven't transcribed Paganini's 24 Caprices for guitar, can't play them blindfolded, can't play Eddie Van Halen's Eruption, can't play Juice by Steve Vai, can't play Yngwie's Trilogy Suite, and can't play Altitude by Jason Becker, and also Satch's Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing by the time you are 16...

You should seriously consider selling all your guitar equipment to someone who can actually use it! yah.

dzdncnfsd

#3 Post by dzdncnfsd » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:33 pm

i expect you to be able to play the attitude song at double speed, with one hand, behind your back, while running a 4 minute mile, all while cooking me omelette. No but really, no one "expects" you to be at a certain level anytime. Your skill is based on how long you've been playing, your determination, your musical past etc.

drake

#4 Post by drake » Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:17 pm

wow thats great man!How long it cant ake to be that?is it u play guitar since your are baby?

miker

#5 Post by miker » Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:24 pm

drake wrote:!How long it cant ake to be that?is it u play guitar since your are baby?
If you are serioius about your music and the guitar... you start well before that. yah. pretty much.

UndeadMoogle3

#6 Post by UndeadMoogle3 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:46 pm

If you don't start in the womb, then you'll never be anything.

MidnightStranger
Newcomer

#7 Post by MidnightStranger » Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:53 pm

Nobody will expect you play like f.a. Jason Becker when he was 16. :wink:

sindlei

#8 Post by sindlei » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:33 pm

guitar isn't a competition, play because you love it, and the technique will come.

shyboy12

#9 Post by shyboy12 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:31 am

Hey kpxmixey89, I've only just turned 15 and I'm really curious to know the same thing. What is generally expected of a "good" guitarist by the time he/she's 18, in terms of technique? Personally, I think I'm pretty alright for my age. Some examples of songs I can play are: Dream Theater - As I Am, Steve Vai - Hand On Heart and Joe Satriani - Summer Song. I can play other stuff too, but those are just some songs I learnt recently. My music theory is pretty alright, my chord vocabulary includes maj, min, dim, 7, maj7, min7, b5b7, etc... I compose every once in a while and my improvisation is pretty good too. I know my modes and stuff too... So would you guys say I'm alright for a 15 year old?

bubble

#10 Post by bubble » Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:54 am

I think you guys have asked the wrong question..... prehaps you should be asking " what do i want to do with my instument"

Do you want to be the next vai, or do you want to make a living from playing your guitar... if it's the later, then building up a sound knowledge of chords and melodic soloing are required. Again this doesn't have to be crazy -ass shred, but obviously good chops used correctly will add to your pallet.

Being able to play different styles is important...employers tend not to love people who can only shred in a rock context, but can't bash out a bit of country or jazz when the work requires. - this kinda comes hand in hand with all the different chordal work that you need.

one last thing..... there is no set thing that you should be able to do at a set age..

I didn't start playing till I was 17. I'm only 25 now but can play loads of vai, yng, paul gilbert etc.... have taught at acm, mi, played with some top artists etc.... (not using this to be up my own arse but more to illustrate how little the age debate is relevant), and have been a pro musician for 4 years!

we all learn at different rates, and as long as you are enjoying what you are doing, and progressing at the same time you'll be fine. (sound like my dad). haha.

Tmc
Newcomer

#11 Post by Tmc » Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:08 am

As long as you enjoy it, who cares!
That’s my thinking. But I have played from a very young age though.

Thomas

shyboy12

#12 Post by shyboy12 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:00 am

Bubble, you're right... age doesn't really matter that much. You've played since you were 17 and you sound like you're pretty well off at the moment (in fact, you sound like you're living my dream), so please ignore my question earlier about if I'm good enough for my age. It's too general a question and I guess you guys are right about different people progressing at different rates.

KirkVai_JumperMan

Re: guitarists under 18

#13 Post by KirkVai_JumperMan » Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:31 am

I'm 17, I've been playing for a little over a year. I mean, I can play a bunch of crap, almost all of Tender Surrender. Solo's not that hard either ;). I'm learning Eugenes Trick Bag and I've got the begining down before he goes into that "sick" part. Well at a tempo of like... 80 or somethin like that. I can do sweeps sure not like Yngwie but... What do you except... Been playin for a year. Well something like this at a tempo of 100

Code: Select all

E||------------------------12---------------------|------------------|
B||------------12-------15----15-------12---------|------------------|
G||----------9-------12----------12-------9-------|------------------|
D||-------12------10----------------10------12----|------------------|
A||----10--------------------------------------10-|------------------|
E||--8--------------------------------------------|------------------|
I know the minor petatonic.... I'm just learining the names on the fretboard now. It helps more than knowing a bunch of scales. Uhm... I can solo, you know... MOP solo, Blackened... 12 notes per second, Well I can tremolo pick, that's good enough lol. Idk I'll try that in a bit. I used to know Eruption, I forgot most of it. I've got the begining but that's it... Maybe I should learn it again BUT shyboy12 is right, people do progress differently. You know, plus... I spend like 4 hours a day at least. HAHA. And the last summer, I spent every waking moment playing guitar, heck... I spent 6 straight hours learning 1 solo! It was the Enter Sandman solo but... I was like 4 months into play guitar or something. So it was HARD! It's all about dedication and perserverance. (sp??) Anyways, I've bored you long enough. Just keep practicing and please... For the love of God :D practice everything slowly at first, we don't want anything sloppy. :)

kpxmikey89

#14 Post by kpxmikey89 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:13 pm

haha well... it sounds like u guys really expect more out of an underage guitarist than i thought...

but i know what u guys r sayin
i was just curious kuz, i started playing just when i was 11, turnig 16 soon, some ppl told me i hav a good hedstart of starting early

saxaxe

#15 Post by saxaxe » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:06 pm

Well, I dont know whats to be expected, but think of it this way: Satch started at 14. Im 15 now, 16 in August. I can play Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing, Jibboom, Km Pee Du We, FTLOG, Giant Balls of Gold, Blue Powder, Attitude song, and assorted others with no problem. Ive been playing for 8 years. I may be able to play well, but it wont do me any good, cuz I have little to no knowledge of theory. My writing is...mediocre. It really depends on what you wanna do with guitar. If you want to be the next Vai....learn theory!!! If you wanna be in a Vai cover band, work on playing his stuff. It comes down to that. But the whole age thing, dont worry bout it!