Vai solos

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
Dan

Nick. wrote:how the hell does he play that fast??

such solos in - FTLOG...Feathers....Whispering A Prayer...Bad Horsie

i know the one in Feathers is tapped..it sounds like tapping...

i've tried slowing them down in soundforge..but it sounds awful..
What I want to know is how does anyone figure out what he's playing? It's ridiculously hard to try to find out what he's playing note for note. And like you said, you can't even really slow it down to figure out what's going on either.
Nick.

there are plugins for winamp that can slow things down without altering the pitch..but i cant get them to work.
Viper

Things can be slowed down indeed, but with practise and greater knowledge you begin to pickup an ear for transcribing fast runs.

Another thing is to get inside the writer's mind, figure what scales etc. are being used in the song as they can give a big hint in transcribing things.
Nick.

thing is..i have a crap ear..i cant recognise chords or scales used..i cant be bothered to ear train either..so i'm kinda stuck on transcribing songs and solos
ds23pallas

i cant be bothered to ear train either
Hmm - there's your problem! The very first thing about playing is to use your ears, you need to be able to hear what you're playing before you've even played it, that way you know how a fast run is going to sound before you start to move your fingers, because your fingers will be moving so fast you wont have time to think about it by then!

Also it helps if say, you hear an E chord, then look at the fingerboard and you can think 'If I play these notes it will sound like this'.

I'd say ear training is the number 1 most important thing in being a 'good' musician. You can have all the technique in the world, but if you can't hear what's going on around you you've got no chance.
Dan

My ear has gotten better with time. I can't make out Vai solos until I slow it down to like 1/16th of the speed though, so obviously my ear isn't great yet. The thing is at this speed, drums and stuff make it so messy to listen to, and you can't hear the guitar good enough.
Goku
Newcomer

LuisPt wrote:
ChickenScratch wrote:Weird that you think Steve is fast because I never really thought of him in that way. Sure he plays fast but that's not what he's about. There are a million shredders out there that can play amazingly fast but non of them can bring a tear to your eye.
The only true message about this issue, Chicken, is yours.

I am new here, but i play guitar for about 15 years and i "follow" Vai´s work for about ten years. With a lots of work and LOTS of pacience, i can play a Vai´s theme. Then i tought i was a good player...yeah, right....i can play fast licks, do several things that Vai does...but one thing that i can´t do is to express fellings in guitar the way that Vai do.

One major example: Steve had lessons with the great Satriani. I think Satriani is almost a God when playing guitar, but, in my opinion, Steve Vai is much more melodic, his feelings are there when he picks a note...Playing fast? just pratice and you get it. Playing Steve licks? DL his tabs from any site around? Do music like him? Yeah...Gotta get his heart and mind.

Can someone clone him, plz? :D
http://www.vai.com/LittleBlackDots/MLS_index.html
start at part 1 and carry on at first it seems kinda wierd but Steve wrote this himself!!! and trust me after the first 3 lessens u really do see an improvment as long as u keep with the training
playnoevil777

I printed out a tab of ftlog(most likely 100% right too,from yayogakk.com),and really that solo is not that hard when you look at it,and compared to many things not that fast either,but I think the intimidation of that song's rep,is just down right paralyzing.The only real hard part about it is,is getting the tempo changes right,and playing what MOST would call "that fast" with a wah pedal.
LuisPt
Newcomer

Goku wrote: http://www.vai.com/LittleBlackDots/MLS_index.html
start at part 1 and carry on at first it seems kinda wierd but Steve wrote this himself!!! and trust me after the first 3 lessens u really do see an improvment as long as u keep with the training
M8...i can´t get words to defined what i´ve just read....many thanks for that link....probably it will change my life...and i mean it.

[[]]