Pick

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
Dan

dunlop 2.0 mm, or dunlop 3.0
Jakan

I stick to my Jazz 3 Black and Red.
Reaper

shader wrote:Pink is the best color for a pick because very few people will steal a pink pick :)
lol... true. And thanks for the info, Mark. :wink:
Matwey

..damn, i had four first strings broken within last last week, so that was the time to consider something about it... :x

..so guess what? i've contacted Dunlop Manufacturing for the reason of ordering the Ultex picks to the local music store, and they were so kind so that even told me the official distributor, and i've found their representative in my city, and went to buy some Dunlop picks, and bought some Tortex .88 and that tear-drop Sharp 1.0 pick 8) Pity that wasn't Ultex picks just yet. BUT. Dunlop guys were even more cool offering to send me some example picks! 8) (Tough later i realized that i've been in that music store a couple of years ago and bought that 1.44 Tortex pick :shock: Also i've been there half a year ago by a very memorable to me reason ;) Like, i have a great memory, but it's kinda short, hee! :P Though the store has moved to another location since then :))
SrKane
Newcomer

OK man, I'm using Dunlop 3.0.
If you want to pick not fast but enter into the warp speed space you
must use a pick hard as a rock.
I agree the Michael Angelo's picking techniques. He's the fatest in the world.
Try some of his songs and see the perfect picking technique in action.

Regards ... :twisted:
Matwey

SrKane wrote:OK man, I'm using Dunlop 3.0.
If you want to pick not fast but enter into the warp speed space you
must use a pick hard as a rock.
how about to make a pick exactly of the strings spacing width? if you're on "want to pick not fast", you'll then be picking not fast for sure. just put three 3.0's together, and don't forget to use some glue (er..not for sniffing it, no.. ;))
SrKane wrote: I agree the Michael Angelo's picking techniques. He's the fatest in the world.
lol, didn't know that he's fatest in the world! :shock:
smj

I used to use 2.0 picks when I was studying music in the States. They just said 2.0 USA on them. I could only get them from a place called Cambridge Music store in Boston. At the time, I was playing mostly jazz music.

After a while though...the effect kind of wore off. You can't play funky rhythms very well with picks that thick. They're great for fast solo stuff....but not very versatile.

I went back to Dunlop 0.96 Gator Grip picks. They feel kind of spongey to me...they have some bounce to them and the grip is unlike any other pick I've played. You guys have got me curious about the "Ultex" picks though. I'll have to try one out sometime.

Sean Meredith-Jones

http://www.seanmeredithjones.com
Renge

I use an assortment of fender and dunlop picks.

Fender in studio, I find it gives a cleaner sound, I usually use the prem cell picks in studio.

Dunlop tortex for live, .73 or .88 usually.

Acoustic though i use .60 Fender Prem cell pics, right tone-to-volume balance for me.
Big Bad Bill

I've searched for years for the ideal pick in terms of both aesthetics and feel. Personally I find the picks (plectra) thicker than say 2mm tend to add harsh sounding harmonics to the notes, whereas the thinner plectra tend to give you less feddback on where your pick is in the picking cycle. So after years of experimentation, I've settled on a 1.25-1.5mm white plectrum with a custom design on it (from Legend Picks). i'm unsure what material they're made of but the seem to be made of the smae polymer that Fender plectra etc are made of-fairly standard.

I've tried Dugain bone/horn/ebony/coconut shell picks which felt nice, but the former two added the nasty bite and the latter two wor out very quickly. I do like them as little ornaments, or something to keep my fingers occupied when I'm at my desk, though.

I recently tried the Wegan Pick recently which is really meant for acoustic guitars. It does produce a louder brighter tone but also adds a little of those nasty sounding harmonics I was describing and they're so thick (up to 5mm) that hey make accurate and rapid picking difficult. i'm persevering with them anyway.

Also, I'd recommend the Stylus Pick to improve ones picking technique, it really helped me!
Grandor

im still finding the best one for me but atm the best is
Jim Dunlop USA nylon 1mm
Lake of desire

For electric playing I use Dunlop Jazz IIIs (only in black, the red ones are too slippery for me). For acoustic strumming I use Dunlop tortex .77 ( or something like that).
StrongBad

Dunlop Nylon, I think it was 2.0, but I lost it. and i got a crappy 3.0.....that i lost, I had a nice 2.0 but i COMPLETLY worn out.. Broke a good 1.5 pick. lost another 2 picks, I have bad luck with picks guys! lol. I think a pink pick would be cool to have. and easy too find. My friend had a pick which has like a grip on it. and it will NEVER break. it is like a 3.