Pick

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
not2secure4u

I whas wondering ...
I use a dunlop USA 2.0 MM ...
What do you all use ?
What do you guys think are the advantages of a big/small pick ?

Nick
jmchambers5

I use the 1mm and 1.14 mm dunlop picks. I dont like a pick that flops around when i use it unless im strumming an acoustic.
Matwey

well, i like thin but hard picks (thogh when i was into YJM's music long time ago :P, i was using Martin's 1.21 mm ;)). From what i remember recently, i tried Dunlop Tortex 1.14, and it was too thick and hard to me. D'Addario's .84 are wearing off soon and also not that hard. With Fender .88 i've broke a string recently, so i'm not using it anymore :P -- anyway, it's too hard.

Now, that what i really impressed with -- is Ibanez Steve Vai signature pick! 8) Not only because it's SV pick, but because i was actually able to play with it almost two years! And although it started wearing off a bit now, it's still pretty great to pick with! :) Also recently i've found that Martin's 1.0 mm is great too, but it's kinda edgy and a it has a bit too smooth surface to grip. And one more thing about these both. Their color -- it's.... pink :( But i think that's not a big problem for a pick, after all it doesn't affect the technical properties of a pick :)
Matwey

not2secure4u wrote:I whas wondering ...
hey... maybe that's why your JEM goes out of tune? :) j/k
Reaper

I'm most comfortable with a 1.00 mm tortex, but lately I've been using 1.14 teardrops. Excellent harmonics and weight, and they're quite sturdy. I've also been fooling around with a 1.5 dunlop (no idea of the material) pick for clean stuff.
markmcg

I use 1.0 mm Jim Dunlop Ultex picks which are hard enough for my tastes, have a great attack and are highly durable :). Before using these I used to use the 1.14mm Tortex picks.

Cheers
Mark.
Reaper

markmcg wrote:I use 1.0 mm Jim Dunlop Ultex picks which are hard enough for my tastes, have a great attack and are highly durable :). Before using these I used to use the 1.14mm Tortex picks.

Cheers
Mark.
Are those things nearly as good as Dunlop is claiming they are? If they're halfway what the site says they are, I may have to pick some up...
shader

Pink is the best color for a pick because very few people will steal a pink pick :)
Matt

Jim Dunlop® Big Stubby 2.00 mm
Matwey

shader wrote:Pink is the best color for a pick because very few people will steal a pink pick :)
good one! :lol:
not2secure4u

Matwey wrote:
not2secure4u wrote:I whas wondering ...
hey... maybe that's why your JEM goes out of tune? :) j/k

Hahaha problem found ... Switching to 3.0 mm ;)
Its fixed on my jem ...
He stays in tune ... wonderfull guitar :D
I actually use caparison IA plectrums also , very big ones ... Good drips and harmonics like the signature master :)

Nick
markmcg

Reaper wrote: Are those things nearly as good as Dunlop is claiming they are? If they're halfway what the site says they are, I may have to pick some up...
Heh just read the marketing blurb on the website
and yes I would have to agree they are great picks, they keep their attack alot longer than the green Tortex picks I used to use :).

Cheers
Mark.
Last edited by markmcg on Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matwey

Looking to burn up the fretboard? These little devils hang tough at up to 800º, so bring it on.

HA! How about to burn up a pick, huh??! :shock: :

"THIS ONE GAVE ME A GOOD SOLO BEFORE IT BURNT OUT." P.G.

:lol: 8)
Matwey

jeez, i wanna try Ultex so hard -- commercial blurb worked out! :P
templing

dunlop 2.0 mm for me