Frustration with practicing

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
PeterJ
Newcomer

Hi,

My name is Peter, I'm a 16 year old, living in Holland. I've been playing guitar for a while now, but have only been practicing seriously for about a year or so.

The reason I primarily joined this board, is because I’m getting more and more frustrated with my practice-sessions, and I was hoping that you guys might be able to help me. I’ll first describe my usual practice-schedule.

Whenever I practice, I first focus on some lead guitar, by going through some 1234 exercises and variations. These go fairly well, though in my ears it’s just not tight enough, resulting in some frustration. I then practice some very simple sweeps, though I only arpeggiate a major sweep, since I first want to get my technique right, before moving on to minor and other sweeps. I also practice some exercises from chopsfromhell.com, though usually they only focus on one type of exercise, like sweeping, and I just mentioned that I’m still only practicing a major arpeggio, so I’m not really up to these exercises.

Next to exercises I also try to find some good but fairly easy solo's to practice. I find it really hard to find solo's that are at my level, resulting in even more frustration. I'm am currently practicing "The ides of the March" by Iron Maiden, which is perfect, since it's still very much a challenge.

For rhythm guitar I usually take like a nice chord-sequence and try to play the sequence in a funky way. I’ve tried finding some nice music with good rhythm guitar playing to practice, though I just can’t find anything I like. Whatever style I look into, ranging from classic rock, to metal, to punk, to funk, I only find powerchordsequences! I just want something else than powerchords.

So all in all:

- I’m getting a bit frustrated with the 1234 exercises, since I’m a bit of a perfectionist, and it just isn’t tight enough in my eyes.
-I’m not yet good enough in sweeps to start with other arpeggio’s, besides major ones.
- I can’t find any suitable solo’s to practice
- I’m getting fed up with rhythm guitar playing, because of these endless powerchords.

Could someone please give me some advice on how to improve my practice sessions?

Thanks,
Peter
Guitar Sam
Newcomer

Pete, for a good rhythm workout listen to any Van Halen track, eddie is awesome and totally owns rhythm, im sure it will open up many doors.
My fave practice techinque is to put on a Cd and play along, putting in my own leads and rhythms or sometimes even note for noteing with whoever may be playing on the stereo.

hope this helps in some way

cheers
PeterJ
Newcomer

Hi Sam,

I'll certainly see if I can get my hands on a Van Halen album. Thanks for your reply.

Peter
jem_fanatic

dude as my guitar teacher says "if you can show me a guitar player that dosent get frustrated at himself once in a while, ill show you a liar"

so try not to get to frustrated just keep practicing and listen to some new stuff and all will fall into place :D

JF/Nightmare405 :D
jamtheguitarman

how abut aome dream theater for rythem playing and lead.
Trimb

For the 1234 exercises I'd recommend getting a metronome or, if you have a keyboard, just set a simple rhythm on there. :D
PeterJ
Newcomer

jamtheguitarman wrote:how abut aome dream theater for rythem playing and lead.
Yeah, I was looking into that, but I mean, that's fairly advanced stuff. I'll give it a try ofcourse.

Thanks for all the replies.
Balex the Shizzle

turn on your radio, tune into any radio station (preferably one with a mix of allsorts of music, plenty of Non Guitar based stuff too) and jam
medic2022

Hey Peter,
I know the feeling of feeling like your in a rut. Start by using a metronome. Start at a slow tempo with quaters, 8th, triplets, 16th, 16 note triplets, then when your comfortable increase the tempo.

I once read an article from the guitarist in Dream Theater. He used to cut out articles and exercises from magazines and place them in files from which he drew from. Scales, theory, tapping, chords, etc........ I think that is a great idea!

Learn licks from other players, then play them in different keys all over the neck. Learn to make it your own.

Good Luck!!!
Tommy
MidnightStranger
Newcomer

Try some jazzy stuff like Autumn Leaves, Desafinado and much more
Oliverschroder
Newcomer

if you wanna play tighter practise more a grand don't come for free you know, btw are you from holland? me to! what part?
Predator
Newcomer

PeterJ wrote:
jamtheguitarman wrote:how abut aome dream theater for rythem playing and lead.
Yeah, I was looking into that, but I mean, that's fairly advanced stuff.
I was able to play their Overture 1928 when I played for about 2,5 years. It's advanced, but it's certainly not impossible. You can find fairly good tabs out there, just try and practise that song AND Strange Deja Vu. A good method is to slow down the song in a programma such as Cool Edit or Soundforge. First try to learn it dead on on 0.75% of the original BPM, after that, tweak it up!
PeterJ
Newcomer

Thanks for all the tips! I'll certainly look into all the music you guys mentioned. En trouwens, Oliverschroder, ik woon in Amsterdam. :wink: