Practicing 4 hours a day

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
Binky
Newcomer

fortheloveofgod wrote:if i were to practice for around 4 hours each and every day when should i be expecting to see results, weeks, days, months.

for example i practice sweep picking for 1 hr with metronome and 1 hr without, legato for 1 hr and tapping for 1 hr..

please help when should i start to improve and if i kept up the 4 hrs a day for 3 months

Dude, you make it sound like a chore. lol I will give definite props to you if you can maintain that kind of discipline. I used to play a minimum 4 hours a day, but I don't have that kind of time anymore.

One of the things I like to do (and this actually helps compress time a bit as far as practicing all the different techniques) I just put on a song, say............For the love of God?, and I do my own improvising using all the techniques that I know. I will do that for a bunch of songs, and then go on to practice other more challenging songs. I find that when I do that there is less concentration on technique, and more concentration placed in "feeling" the music--and it just flows out. But everyone has their methods.
SPQR

yip i know what yoy mean dude
Oliverschroder
Newcomer

I dunno about practising I keep it fun, I close my eyes and let my hand take over, sometimes I practise half an hour, sometimes six:) I find that sometimes when I play less I seem to improve a bit, your hend tends to get tired after a week of heavy duty work be wary of that.
Also keep doing fun things, go to pubs have a lot of sex, drink whatever, keep yourself inspired and your mind stretchy, how ever make sure you keep thinking about music all day:) that workes best for me f course, you might find it difficult.
Trimb

Fun is good! :D
My practice tends to range between half an hour and two hours now. Usually I go for one hour though. If it's a proper session.
Oliverschroder
Newcomer

If youre really feeling a bit bumed out on practising I always find a good spirit lifter to just jam with some great live acts, for exampled led zeppelins dazed and confused or jimi's voodoo child are excellent live songs to jam to, sure beats dragging your gear to the garage and have some buddies come over
shredder

yeah record your self playing, then in a week record again and see for differences