Practicing 4 hours a day

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
SPQR

if i were to practice for around 4 hours each and every day when should i be expecting to see results, weeks, days, months.

for example i practice sweep picking for 1 hr with metronome and 1 hr without, legato for 1 hr and tapping for 1 hr..

please help when should i start to improve and if i kept up the 4 hrs a day for 3 months
miker

Everyone progresses at different paces, and has their own strengths... so no two people will learn guitar technique at equivalent rates.

Unfortunately, you will be the last to notice your own improvement. Kinda of like growing up... to yourself you don't seem to change much. To people who don't see you too often, you grow like a "weed."

Make a tape playing sweeps now. Practice 4 hours a day, everyday. 3 mos down the road make a tape playing the same sweeps. Listen to the two tapes to see how much you have improved in 3 mos. That is probably the best way for you to gauge your own improvement.

Good luck.
kpxmikey89

fortheloveofgod wrote:if i were to practice for around 4 hours each and every day when should i be expecting to see results, weeks, days, months.

for example i practice sweep picking for 1 hr with metronome and 1 hr without, legato for 1 hr and tapping for 1 hr..

please help when should i start to improve and if i kept up the 4 hrs a day for 3 months
dam thats alot man! i used to about 4 hours a day, but i think im only doin 2-3 hours or so, with school in teh way and sleep time and stuff...
as for me, im thinking of diving my playing schedules like: technique sharpening session, playing songs session, improvision section, modal excecize session
UndeadMoogle3

I usually practice for four hours a day...and yeah, I agree with miker on the sweeping stuff. Took me four hours a day for about two or three months to get it sounding good. People do practice at different rates though. I find myself learning/improving on atleast one thing every day. In my experience, weeks. Some people, months. It's different for everyone.
medic2022

It's not how many hours per day you practice but the quality of the time.
If you had an hour to practice divide the time to"
Warm up
Scales
Arpeggios
Chords
New Tunes

We as guitarists tend to practice what we all ready know. Push your self into learning another key or position on the neck.
And have fun!!!!!!!

Tommy
UndeadMoogle3

Can't argue with medic on that one.
dzdncnfsd

I wouldnt recommend that practice regimen every day. I would throw in some alt. picking, some theory, and learning songs for example too.
UndeadMoogle3

I dunno, I've always been against learning songs by other artists for some reason. I guess it's because I see too many people playing with no originality. Like, instead of learning a new technique, they rip off riffs and such without knowing they do.
another virtuoso

when i practice something, i typically dont do it over and over again and expect to perfect it in that time. I will usually play around with something im not familiar with while goin back and maybe playin a hendrix lick or two in the mix. if i try to focus really hard on doing something, i usually get so outta wack i can barely play the instrument at all.
higherlogic

UndeadMoogle3 wrote:I dunno, I've always been against learning songs by other artists for some reason. I guess it's because I see too many people playing with no originality. Like, instead of learning a new technique, they rip off riffs and such without knowing they do.
That is an odd approach. I Think that you can get some ideas from the artist's songs you play.
UndeadMoogle3

Yeah. It is an odd approach. I've never been adverse to learning licks and what not to glean ideas. I dunno, maybe it's the fact that I refuse to learn some out of spite to others. If I hear someone say, "Play sweet home alabama!" again, I'm gonna stab the person closest to me.
fyrie

I can't speak for everyone else, but my general advice is just to practice as much as you want to. Practicing one you get bored is bad in my opinion.

Oh, and get the Zen of Guitar book. There is much wisdom in there.
Mr_Guitarman

fortheloveofgod wrote:if i were to practice for around 4 hours each and every day when should i be expecting to see results, weeks, days, months.

you know it's great to have organization, but your practice routine is set up to develope you into a technician and not a musician. If you want to see resualts in your playing technicality is not the best way to go all the time. first what is your problem you want to adress what type of player do you want to become? what type of musician do you want to become? Is your goal to have vai like technique or to have satch like timing? Do you want to compose innovate intresting music or do you want to play every Vai song on the planet? Do you want to build your improvising skills or knowledge of theory? you have to take all this into account there is no such thing as a practice routine that stays the same and is effective for very long my practie changes all the time because my focus changes. I hope this view point helps you.
Trimb

Playing along with cds is quite a lot of fun. I can vouch for that.
Cesar Huesca

I'd like to post this quote, I don't know if somebody has said it yet but someday it came to my mind and here it is:

8 continuous hours of practicing are completely a lie, you have 16 hours a day to distribute your practice sessions whatever you like, the other 8 continuous hours try to use them for sleep...
WSK.

I remember when I was 9 or 10 my life after school was just play, play and play, I never took any guitar lessons at that time so my Cd's and my favourite guitarists were my teachers.

I think that when you start to play guitar by yourself you focus primarily on discover and how to play whatever, songs that you like for instance, then you start to discover on those songs some sounds, chords and licks and start to put them on your "chops source" or whatever you want to call it. After sometime you find yourself playing that stuff over and over again, then you jump to something new and maybe you start to learn some more chords, linear excersises, scales, bends, slides, legatos, tapping patterns, sweep patterns and what not, and again, you put aaaalll of that into your "chops source" among other songs which are different from the songs you were playing at the begining. And again, you find yourself playing aaall day long what you have now on your "chops source" until you master that.
Now that you have being dedicated playing for many years you must have many technical resources and you must be able to improvise something fine, then when you start to improvise you may want to improvise aaaaallllll day long on whatever and maybe you start to play in a band or something.
As the time stills passing by you must notice your own development as a guitar player and you must continuing expanding your horizons, as a guitar player then try to develop your creativeness and musicality by doing some own stuff, you may want to develop yourself as a songwriter/composer and finally as an artists cause we all have a form of art inside ourselves and we reflect that with music in this case.

Well, I'm not trying to give an advice to anybody, actually I based the previous speech in what I did years ago when I started to play guitar, it worked for me in that way and at these days I still doing it pretty like that, I practice in various sessions a day and now I'm more focused on my own phrases, literally I just seat down and play whatever comes from my head, I record some rhythm track with some chords and start to play what my mind dictates and what I feel and I keep what I consider is good, I think thats a good way to start to play with what it's your own voice and approach. :) Anyway when I'm not practicing, I'm on rehearsals, studios, touring with bands and what not, what I like the most is that I started to play guitar when I was 9, now I'm 21 and I'm still doing it with so much joy and happiness :D

Mr_Guitarman, Trimb, medic2022 very good opinions, I agree with you.

I hope this can help to many guys out there, cheers.

Cesar.
Last edited by Cesar Huesca on Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.