My recordings.... I need advice from you expert guitarists

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
Blade Runner

Hello! I am new to this forum and a new fan of Steve Vai's music. I just got my first Steve Vai album a month ago, and I am already going to see him live on March 28th in Philadelphia, PA.

I came here to share my recordings with you all and I am looking for advice to help improve my playing. I dont know what it is about the way I play, but I am playing sloppier than the way I want to. So if any of you guitarists and especially expert guitarists have any tips for me, please feel free to tell me.

Well, here is the link to my recordings.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/baron ... smusic.htm

Feel free to comment or whatever as long as the criticism is constructive. Don't be a dick face.
JimiVanRhoadsSteen

I will say that Baron Harkonnen was an evil sunvabitch!!!!!
I've written a few twisted evil riffs worthy of his Sardaukar.

Eruption was funny. I admire youre sense of humour.
You were kidding, weren't you?
dave_777

I admire your determination.
Just tune your guitar, I think you will sound better for it.
Ariel

Chill dude
Mr_Guitarman

I don't consider myself an expert but i think you have a few problems that should be delt with. First let me say I think you should stick with it we have all been there from my personal experiences I think one of your biggest problems is that you rush your self you are trying to play things beyond your current abilities and forcing your self from everything i know this will cause you to have sloppy technique play things at comfortrable speeds even if it's slower then the album. Next do you use a metronome? if you don't you should you have to be learn to improve your timing this is one thing that can make a player sound really good or bad timing and rhythm. You can play simple things with great time and sound like a pro or play amazingly complex virtuosic passages with bad time and sound like a rookie. Work on these to things and you will be on your way to becoming great.

other things to work on is articulation playing a phrase many different ways ifrs try playing very legoto make ever note slur and float over to the next not the play things sticatto play ever note very short and snappy. work on playing things as soft as you can and work on playing things loud and powerful. Always play with confidence I can hear if a musician is hesitating when they play or if they are unsure of it play full on in your face and let it all hang out be confident even with your mistakes.

Lot of playing guitar is in your mind conquer those demons and the physical part of your playing will come together nautraully. I wish you the best of luck and hope what I said helps.
Blade Runner

Mr_Guitarman wrote:I don't consider myself an expert but i think you have a few problems that should be delt with. First let me say I think you should stick with it we have all been there from my personal experiences I think one of your biggest problems is that you rush your self you are trying to play things beyond your current abilities and forcing your self from everything i know this will cause you to have sloppy technique play things at comfortrable speeds even if it's slower then the album. Next do you use a metronome? if you don't you should you have to be learn to improve your timing this is one thing that can make a player sound really good or bad timing and rhythm. You can play simple things with great time and sound like a pro or play amazingly complex virtuosic passages with bad time and sound like a rookie. Work on these to things and you will be on your way to becoming great.

other things to work on is articulation playing a phrase many different ways ifrs try playing very legoto make ever note slur and float over to the next not the play things sticatto play ever note very short and snappy. work on playing things as soft as you can and work on playing things loud and powerful. Always play with confidence I can hear if a musician is hesitating when they play or if they are unsure of it play full on in your face and let it all hang out be confident even with your mistakes.

Lot of playing guitar is in your mind conquer those demons and the physical part of your playing will come together nautraully. I wish you the best of luck and hope what I said helps.
Thanks Mr. Guitarman.

I just started using a metronome today. I played from 40 BPM, 60 BPM, 85 BPM, 100 Bpm.... and so on all the way to 200 BPM, and about 3 to 4 minutes for each one. I can already tell that this is really helping me with my accuracy.

Again, thanks for all the advice. I will immidiately begin working on it. And I am going to stick with the simpler stuff like Maiden before I jump to the advanced stuff.
Cacophony

instead of 3-4 minutes try 3-4 hours like i do it.
V41

Cacophony wrote:instead of 3-4 minutes try 3-4 hours like i do it.
It takes you 3-4 hours to adjust to a tempo? :shock:
Rei_Arthur_Pendragon

I dont know if you are doing it too but i learned guitar all by myself, except for the basic chords that a friend showed me. It is very hard to figure it out everything by yourself. I ve heard your takes and I will try to help you as I admire your effort:
First problem : try to have your guitar tuned right all the time. Buy a tuner if you can. That way you will kind of learn the sounds and know when it is out of tune, improving your ears(very F important!)One hint : Tune ONE string and try to tune the others from there. Check if you got them right(with tuner).
I will address the iron maiden siong wich kind of sums everything. Looks like those two things : 1. You didnt get the riffs right (like the duets parts wich are wrong) 2. You got some of them right but cant play then at time and you are rushing yourself like guitarman said(some licks from solo part).

2 : slow down till you get it sounding right then increase the tempo when you can do it.
1 : Try to get someone to show you how to play the licks correct if you are having trouble trying to figure it by yourself, then practice them the correct way and you will get it. IF YOU PRACTICE THEM WRONG YOU WILL GET USED TO IT AND WILL ALLWAYS PLAY THEM WRONG(and kind of get a sloppy technique)!
Try to find easier songs that you LIKE, so you can cover the basic techniques and them be comfortable to go to with faster songs. I know people that play fast but sound bad. They play with bad tempo and bad intonation and those are basic things every good guitarist has to have under their skin!! Hope Ive helped keep playin' man!!!