Ibanez guitar question...

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
gypsy
Newcomer

Ibanez guitar question...

#1 Post by gypsy » Fri Jun 13, 2003 10:19 am

Wondering if someone could please help me figure out what the heck this is....

It was originally purchased at a Steve Vai guitar seminar in 1994 and this is what the guitar description is, though I'm not sure if it's accurate.

S Series #CE F9926090 - Hard to find, VERY RARE, with green and gray swirl paint. Ibanez made this guitar for one year. Ibanez originally made this guitar in 1991, with Floyd rose floating tremlow with lockdown. Rosewood fingerboard with maple back, rosewood inlay. Locks from both the back and the front.
Mint condition, original paint, no scratches, dents or dings. Everything is original, dimarzio pick-ups.

Includes Ibanez hard-shell case, red velvet interior, combination lock. Strap, wammy bar and the tools for lockdowns, and a new set of strings

Guitar lists at $2200 new including the hard combination case.

...thanks for any help/insight you can offer!

Gabe Nickelson

#2 Post by Gabe Nickelson » Fri Jun 13, 2003 10:40 am

That doesn't look like a swirl paint job to me. It looks like a blue-ish stained flame maple top.

The guitar looks like a 7-string S-series. I've never seen that top before on an S series. I would suggest asking the guys at Jemsite.com. Rob Balducci has one but in black with single coils in the neck and middle, made in 1991. I believe these are rare guitars.

Gabe

gypsy
Newcomer

guitar question

#3 Post by gypsy » Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:21 am

Thank you very much!!! I'll check into it....VERY much apprechiate your help and suggestion

Trying to sell it and don't want to mislead anyone

Vaijem777

#4 Post by Vaijem777 » Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:02 pm

The picture isn't coming up, but it almost sounds like an S7420FMTT, if it does have a trans-blue top. The S540-7 was out in '91, but the S7420FMTT is a pretty recent model. It was just discontinued a year or so ago- Musician's Friend, etc. had major blowouts on them of around $600-700. The List price was $1299.00 w/o case. If only they didn't have the TRS7, they'd be great guitars! ;)

shader

#5 Post by shader » Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:32 pm

isn't this the exact same guitar that some guy was posting an Ebay link to?

Rich

#6 Post by Rich » Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:28 pm

It is an S7420, I got in a heated argument with ebay seller trying to explain to her what it was :roll:

gypsy
Newcomer

guitar

#7 Post by gypsy » Sun Jun 15, 2003 3:08 pm

Actually, NO it's not...It was made in 1991 and in Japan.

...and the heated agruement was because of the way you went about it.
(including telling the owner that even though he bought it in 1991, and it SAYS made in Japan on it...you insisted it was made in 1999 in Korea)

I thought this was done Rich? Now you bring it to the board??? :roll:

I've gotten good information regarding the guitar, none of it from you btw...back off please - leave me alone

Blue_Powder

#8 Post by Blue_Powder » Sun Jun 15, 2003 6:58 pm

The possibility for even a large company like Ibanez to make mistakes on serial numbers is always there. Fenders especially tricky putting a date on a guitar because often times the components are cut even years apart before assembly. It's not unreasonable to think that Ibanez, a company that works on the same volume as fender, may have made a mistake somewhere along the way.

Rich is a bevy of Ibanez information, and accurate more times than not. But if what he's stating isn't true it'd be interesting to find out what the real deal is.

Kevan

#9 Post by Kevan » Sun Jun 15, 2003 10:14 pm

8 years difference in serial number? Ummm....no. Not even with a factory neck swap. LOL

I haven't even seen the pic and I can tell you it's a S7420FMTT (FlameMapleTransTurquoise). It was a GC/MF special run (which isn't really all that special). The serial number, "F99XXXXX" and the "CE" preceeding it, tell me it's a '99.

I'll put money on that.

gypsy
Newcomer

question

#10 Post by gypsy » Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:12 am

It was purchased during Vai's guitar seminar in 1991. Thank you guys for going about it nicely, I apprechiate that. I dont' know anything about guitars, but I've enjoyed listening to the most beautiful music come out of that guitar.

It IS also possible the person who sold it to my fiancee' was incorrect. But it DOES say made in Japan.

Rich, no offense man.

MEX

#11 Post by MEX » Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:54 am

i can only see a big red X :?

se7en
Newcomer

#12 Post by se7en » Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:24 am

ok..lets just iron some things out here..if it is a 99 then i invented a time machine or i spent thousands of dollars to put 99 hardware on it just to fool everyone..

it was bought at dyllans music in kalamazoo michigan after a guitar clinic that was put on there..

ive been told its a 99 with a junk tremlo and made in korea..this is not true the guitar is a japaneese model and the tremlo is floyd rose and it is defenitely not junk..i can put new strings on it..tune it one time.stretch,retune then lock down and fine tune and it never falls out of tune reguardless of how hard you play it or wammy it..

think what you like but the fact is that this is not a korean model and it was defenitely not bought in 99..the thought has crossed my mind that perhaps the kneck was changed but i dont think that could have happened without me noticeing it.

come on now...I bought this like two or three years after desert storm.

Vaijem777

#13 Post by Vaijem777 » Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:21 pm

The ONLY thing that'll prove either theory is to A) provide us with GOOD pictures. Especially of the NECK POCKET after you remove the neck. There you should find a model number stamped. The fact is, it IS a 1999 neck, period. At the very least, the guitar has had a neck swap and is not original. But, seeing that in 1991 Ibanez didn't manufacture a guitar like the one you're describing, your theory is pretty hard to believe, be it true or not. Do you have a sales receipt? If so, how about a nice scan of it? That could help as well. :) Clear pictures of the body, tremolo and neck pocket should be all that's needed to settle this.

Vaijem777

#14 Post by Vaijem777 » Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:27 pm

Nevermind. I was able to open the photo. It IS an S7420FMTT. Period. No doubt about it unless somebody stripped down an S540-7, put a maple veneer on it and refinished it.

I suppose the burgundy-lined UV1000C is the original case too? ;)

Just cut and paste the below link into a new browser:

http://community.webshots.com/sym/aucti ... okle_2.jpg

Moderator77FP

#15 Post by Moderator77FP » Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:31 pm

se7en wrote:ok..lets just iron some things out here..if it is a 99 then i invented a time machine or i spent thousands of dollars to put 99 hardware on it just to fool everyone..

it was bought at dyllans music in kalamazoo michigan after a guitar clinic that was put on there..

ive been told its a 99 with a junk tremlo and made in korea..this is not true the guitar is a japaneese model and the tremlo is floyd rose and it is defenitely not junk..i can put new strings on it..tune it one time.stretch,retune then lock down and fine tune and it never falls out of tune reguardless of how hard you play it or wammy it..

think what you like but the fact is that this is not a korean model and it was defenitely not bought in 99..the thought has crossed my mind that perhaps the kneck was changed but i dont think that could have happened without me noticeing it.

come on now...I bought this like two or three years after desert storm.

I'm sensing some defensiveness here, but there's really no need. :)

The people questioning the nature of the model you're asking information about are not out to rain on your parade, nor prove you a liar - they are trying to help solve the mystery. A mystery you asked about. ;)

By the way - are you the same person as Gypsy? We have a policy about one user account per person... please contact me via Private Message.

In any case, I hope you can solve the mystery.

Thanx,

Moderator77FP
www.vai.com