copy of evo and flo

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
nato101010

Re: copy of evo and flo

#46 Post by nato101010 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:07 pm

Hey J, I see at least 3 Jems in that pic. How many do you own in all?

loran333

#47 Post by loran333 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:25 pm

wouahh , I m speechless again Jeroen .

I see your pickguard is up , because the driver is very deep , I take off some wood because of that.
(Hum, Hum, this is the poor effort of a little french to say a phrase beyond his english skills, you are allowed to laugh)

so you have the copy of flo , the copy of bad hordie :
can we expect a copy of evo.....
...and you can rename this topic : Vai 's jem relics !!! :D

off topic: do you keep the flash on when you take a photo like the one "close up of the string height" ?

lydian2000

#48 Post by lydian2000 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:42 am

Similar question for Loran33 here..how many years does it take to own all of that?

:peace

Ugur Dariveren

#49 Post by Ugur Dariveren » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:56 am

patrick wrote:Hey J, is this the neck from evil bay?
patrick
If I remember correctly the neck was one of Steve's necks.

loran333

#50 Post by loran333 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:53 am

lydian2000 , it takes me 25 years till my first guitar.

I was in a bedroom in katmandu and I heard "eat em and smile".
one hour later I m stoping all drugs things , coming back to home with the idea of playing guitar for the entire life and
made a livin with that. (thanks steve, thanks music)
some pics of the beginning :

my first Jem :

then I had the chance to be in Cannes (famous cinema french town) in may 1993 for a 2 days master class with steve.
and steve had a white jem (no writing on) I think it was the young evo. 2 weeks later I had my actual copy of evo.

the first 4 pics are from this event

then step by step some new jems :

and up of this thread you can see the latest pics.
but yesterday I owned two new toys :

sorry for the long post but I try to be informative , if its a problem , let me know. :D
Last edited by loran333 on Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Breeder

#51 Post by Breeder » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:11 am

Excuse my ignorance but what is the point of completely copying someone else`s part of personality (guitar in this case)...I seriously don`t understand it...why don't you want to be yourself?

I don`t want to offend anyone but I don`t get it
(and let`s just make it clear that I like Steve`s sound, I also use his trick for holding picks on headstock but I am trying to understand my self and manifest it completely through my playing alone)

Desert_Runner

#52 Post by Desert_Runner » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:43 am

Breeder wrote:Excuse my ignorance but what is the point of completely copying someone else`s part of personality (guitar in this case)...I seriously don`t understand it...why don't you want to be yourself?

(and let`s just make it clear that I like Steve`s sound, I also use his trick for holding picks on headstock but I am trying to understand my self and manifest it completely through my playing alone)
I also don't get it.

loran333

#53 Post by loran333 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:50 am

as you can see I have many guitars and I plays all of them , not only the jems. I love all kind of music (jazz, flamenco, funk, classic....etc) and try to play all of them. vai is just one side of my love for the music.

It s a big debat (very interisting) and unfortunaly I don t have the english language skill to say what I want.
I can t told you one response , there is many.
1 yes you are right , I dont be myself and I love theses copy ,I can t explain you why (lake of words) but the jem fits perfectly my needs for the instrumental rock music and my own compositions.
2 for me it was just a kind of joke , cliché, clin d 'oeil ....(sorry , choose the good word) , as you can see on the upper pics I had always customized my instruments.
3 its very hard to be original with a jem (and some other signature) and I m just a little man I dont have the artistic ability of steve vai , van halen , malmsteen ,etc........
4 I have the "plan" for my own signature guitar but it cost a fortune to make the idea I have, so right now I just can wait.

Breeder

#54 Post by Breeder » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:33 am

loran333 wrote: and I m just a little man I dont have the artistic ability of steve vai , van halen , malmsteen ,etc........
of course you don`t have artistic ability of Vai, Malmsteen or any other for that matter.
But you do have artistic ability of loran333 :guitar that was my point...everybody is different and that is pure beauty of it...I don`t want to argue around this sensitive subject but as the man said it (I think):
Who are we to say our noise is better then their noise (or something like that)

Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

#55 Post by Jeroen » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:16 am

Breeder wrote:Excuse my ignorance but what is the point of completely copying someone else`s part of personality (guitar in this case)...I seriously don`t understand it...why don't you want to be yourself?

Hmm...Never considered it 'part of a personality', really... Just a replica of an existing guitar. Same reason why there are Brian May Red Specials, SRV 'nr. one', van Halen striped...or even just regular jems in the store. I don't believe it has anything to do with 'not wanting to be yourself'. It's really just a guitar....

j

notavirtuoso

#56 Post by notavirtuoso » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:23 am

People like replicas and anyone building one would I'm sure want it to be as close as possible. I don't see anything wrong with it. Ever see the guys that buy old Deloreans and make them look like the Back to the Future car? Their friends probably call them crazy but I guarantee they love every minute they put into them.

miker

#57 Post by miker » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:15 am

I thinks it's pretty cool myself... way to go loran333 and Jeroen!

I actually thought Jeroen was posting pics of Steve's Flo... but on later glimpses I see it is not as... battle scarred. heh.

lukevo

#58 Post by lukevo » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:18 pm

Loran333, you said that,"I see your pickguard is up , because the driver is very deep , I take off some wood because of that."

Hum.... my Jem7V pickguard is up to....how much wood did you take off? in mm?

Sorry my english :mrgreen:

loran333

#59 Post by loran333 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:02 pm

the sustainer driver is very deep ( more than a standart humbucker)
so I take off about 0,4mm / 0,8mm of wood in the neck pickup cavity and only under the driver.
some words about the sustainer :
thomas nordegg says : "It seems like each sustainer is sort of different." and with my own experience it s very true.
the one on my brmr don t sustain very well the 22,23,24 fret of the high string and the harmonics dont come out or stop after 0,5second after the 12 fret.
the one on my vwh sustain all note and the harmonics sings untill the 24 fret.

Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

#60 Post by Jeroen » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:31 am

patrick wrote: Hey J, is this the neck from evil bay?
The one and only :)

nato101010 wrote: Hey J, I see at least 3 Jems in that pic. How many do you own in all?
3 jems, one euphoria and a bunch of parts waiting to be turned into jem 4 and 5.
loran333 wrote: I see your pickguard is up , because the driver is very deep , I take off some wood because of that.
(Hum, Hum, this is the poor effort of a little french to say a phrase beyond his english skills, you are allowed to laugh)

so you have the copy of flo , the copy of bad hordie :
can we expect a copy of evo.....
...and you can rename this topic : Vai 's jem relics !!! :D

off topic: do you keep the flash on when you take a photo like the one "close up of the string height" ?
No worries, your English is just fine.

No Evo. I'm not even sure if the next one is going to be a relic. If I ever wanted to do another one, it would perhaps be something like the Real Illusions Jem - I love that one.

Flash: yes!