Now that Mick Thomson has signed for Ibanez...

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
Skyscraper

...will he make a commercially available signature guitar with them?

I don't really want this to turn into a thread about whether or not he is any good (I like his stuff personally, including his solos on the new album for the purpose they're meant to serve - hey I'm not supposed to be talking about that!), but I noticed he is supposed to be using a modified RG with EMG pickups. As there is nowhere around where I live (in the UK, Newcastle area) that stocks guitars with EMG pickups (like ESPs or whatever), but I keep hearing about how good EMG pickups are, it's hard to make a judgement about them without hearing them firsthand as I would want to play them to suit my styles. If a signature Mick Thomson RG became available I could possibly try a guitar with EMG pickups instead of deciding about whether I should get them unheard anyway.

Is there any further news or does anyone have any thoughts about a signature Mick Thomson Ibanez? I thought surely they'd be keen to do a singature model with him, but he could end up being a Dave Weiner type endorsee where he plays Ibanez but doesn't release a commercially available model. Then again he has BC Rich signature guitars so you would expect him to make one. I'd just love to know the ifs and whens about something like this! It would be really cool to be able to get an Ibanez RG with EMG pickups already in them rather than taking a chance when you don't know if they're for you and having to customise an RG to do it otherwise anyway.
Vaituoso

Ibanez will probably market a cheaper version. I saw him play his new custom Ibanez RG at Ozzfest back in August. It's a pretty cool guitar actually. Straight forward metal axe. All black with white binding. I'm sure they were EMG pickups.
Skyscraper

His model does have EMG pickups. See, I'd love a guitar with 24 frets and a locking trem, but I'd also like to try these EMG pickups before I commit to spending a lot of money, so this sounds ideal. Total Guitar has a picture of him on the inside back cover with his new Ibanez, but the locking nut only covers four strings, leaving the bottom two seemingly without locking. Is this still possible locking all six strings or does that mean he has an axe which only locks the top four strings? It looks like it. I hope any commercial model has a full locking trem, though I think his BC Rich model might have that and EMG pickups. I'd rather have an RG though as those Warlocks would get damaged in no time if they fell over or slipped and landed on the pointy bits.
R1FSR

only pic i can find
Skyscraper

Cool. I think that's from the official Ibanez website and it looks like he has the full locking trem on that one. The other picture I saw was from this month's Total Guitar magazine (we get it in the UK, not sure if it's the same magazine elsewhere) and it was in the preview at the back of next month's magazine where they had that picture of Mick with the locking trem with the part of the nut missing like I mentioned in my last post. From that picture though I would hope a commercial Mick Thomson RG could have the EMG pickups and full locking trem like his more expensive BC Rich model does.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a slave to getting whatever signature guitar belongs to whoever I like best (I'd have a JS1200 by now if that were the case), but I would like 24 frets and a locking nut and would like to know more about EMG pickups from playing them firsthand, so this guitar could be just the very thing for me. :D
j.arledge

he more than likly will not get a signature line if the rumors are true that slipknot is done after this tour for the new album.

if they stick togeather and make more stuff or mick finds a noteworthy band to play in, it is highly possiable he will get a sig. rg line.
accuracy

That would be pretty cool.
It would add a whole new flavor to ibanez.
At the moment, everyone considers ibanez to be the shredders guitar but nothing more.
j.arledge

i see ibanez as the metal mans guitar. they have a lot of hard rock heavey metal endorsers.

i dont think any thing in the way of making a signature series could possible hurt ibanez though.
Last edited by j.arledge on Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skyscraper

I just think it would be great to see someone other than ESP doing guitars with EMG pickups. There's the Zakk Wylde Les Paul and Mick's BC Rich but that's almost it. It's like anything with EMGs on it must cost over the odds, there are the Kirk Hammett guitars but they're still expensive and look hideous, like someone's drawn on them, so if Mick does get an Ibanez axe commercially available then it might mean EMGs on a decent looking guitar for a reasonable price. I wouldn't expect it to be cheap but when EMGs go on a guitar it's like it adds about £500 to the retail price, plus being in the UK, ESP guitars that would have those pickups are quite overpriced anyway in my view.

If anyone from Ibanez happens to read this, we want a Mick Thomson guitar!
espguitarlord

I went though a big ESP phase with active EMG pickups. I vastly prefer DiMarzio Evolutions now, I'm happy to compromise output a bit for that.
As well as the output argument, I thought the EMGs were great for recording straight into a digital device, but other than that, I'm not really wildly into them now.
The_Illusionist

Anyone heard him do solos and shred?! He is actually very talented! Cant remember where i heard it, it was on some cd that came with a guitarist magazine or something! :twisted:
chimairob
Newcomer

i put 2 active EMG 81's in my SZ (the same setup as kirk hamster) and for the types of music i play (death metal) there really is no better pickups for the job, i hit pinch harmonics and they go on and on and on and on. they do sound very digital though, but luckily im into that.
The_Illusionist

chimairob wrote:i put 2 active EMG 81's in my SZ (the same setup as kirk hamster) and for the types of music i play (death metal) there really is no better pickups for the job, i hit pinch harmonics and they go on and on and on and on. they do sound very digital though, but luckily im into that.

What kind of Amp are you using?
Mr midway

Yes mick is a good player and amazing at the heavy style
Igor

there is a mick thompson ibbie on the ibanez website..
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/eg_menu.php?ARE ... RIES=42#42

see :D
ok, ok. stop drooling now. it's been there since NAMM

as for new stuff with emg's

the new jackson MG series will come stock with EMG pickups (not the HZ ones) and it adds 100$ to the retail price of the old ones. unfortunately for europe the dealers stick to the MSRP like drunks to a fence, but for the US guys, the guitars will be up to 45% cheaper than the list price. jackson updated all their upper japanese line of guitars with EMG's or duncans. and they got a new maple necked dinky. which, from a right dealer u can get for below 600$

as for mick himself. he's an amazing player. as is jim root. and corey is a very good singer too. joey tears the drums apart on pretty much every record. slipknot is. well.. slipknot. heavy as fuck with added mindless violence. there's a place and time for it too. and the riffs are kicking ass. definately not for everybody though

for mick and joey, check these out
http://youtube.com/watch?v=puXRc5SA2VU& ... l%20guitar
http://youtube.com/watch?v=KK_MHFwhISA& ... l%20guitar