Acoustic Guitars

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.

What do you think of Steve releasing an all-acoustic album?

I'd love that!
20%
I'd love that!
20%
I'd love that!
20%
I'd love that!
20%
It would be terrible!
2%
It would be terrible!
2%
It would be terrible!
2%
It would be terrible!
2%
I don't care.
3%
I don't care.
3%
I don't care.
3%
I don't care.
3%

Total votes: 64
V41

Personally, I love playing acoustic guitar. Sure, it doesn't have as many dynamics as an electric, but the fact that you don't need an amp or anything fancy has always appealed to me, along with the good melodic tone you usually get.

How does Ibanez rank in acoustic guitars?

I have an Alvarez-Yairi DY-84K handmade acoustic guitar with hawaiian wood. I've included a picture, but the coloring is different than mine. I can't find a picture of the orange hawaiian wood that mine has.

Anyway, it's easily the best guitar I own. Well, I'm getting a Jem soon, so that will change, but still... :D

What do you guys think of acoustic guitars?

The wood is this color. It's the second one from the left (the orange):

And here's the guitar model:

I love it. Playing songs like "Feathers" or the beginning of "Melissa's Garden" or "Sisters" or "Die to Live" on such a nice sounding instrument is just wonderful, even if it doesn't necessarily do the songs justice.

I would love if Steve released an acoustic CD.
cho_888

i personally think it would be good, however i am not a big fan of his acoustic. Unlike his JEM it really isnt top of its calls or even world class. Like can't find what woods its made of! what is it made of. Is it all solid wood? and i only like natural finishes
RAI

Like with anything Steve does, I never "expect" anything from his albums.
That way I cannot be disappointed.
If Steve wants to do an acoustic album...
Sure!
If not...
Sure!

As for the Euphoria, and its quality...
I think it's made from laminates, not solid wood.
Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
Depends on who you ask.
I have heard that people don't care much for its acoustic qualities, but I believe Steve designed it for one purpose only...
To sound great when plugged in!
And from what I have heard, it sounds awesome.

:)
Logic

An accoustic album.. hmmm..
To really put out a good accoustic album takes a certain dedication to an accoustic guitar. While Mr. Vai is outstanding guitarist and composer, I haven't heard alot of accoustic stuff from him. Doesn't mean he isn't dedicated to an accoustic guitar, Just haven't heard it. In the past, I have seen and heard those electric guitar players do accoustic stuff and it's electric playing set to accoustic. YJM comes to mind. And before someone decapitates me I must say I don't have a problem with these artist doing that. Phil Keaggy is a great example. He has electric stuff thats very electric and accoustic stuff thats VERY accoustic. Lights of Madrid. Excellent accoustic stuff there. He is the guitarist mentioned in a Jimmy Hendrix interveiw. Mr. Hendrix when asked what it was like being the worlds greatest guitarist responded, I don't know, ask Phil Keaggy. I will add because of the reaction of rabid Vai fans, That Mr. Vais Electric guitar ability is second to none. :)
cho_888

laminated woods have no where near as much tone as solid woods, they are also much louder. i dont know why he would make a guitar with out using solid woods.
Birdman

I dunno about the EP7. It FEELS cheap, but I like to play it, and I think it sounds good, sounds great when plugged in. BUT, I know a guy that is pretty well known in music circles here, knows tonnes about guitars etc etc, and he said it was "ok". Hahaha. He laughed at me when I told him how much I payed for it. I definately think the price is because it has Steve's name on it. If it wasn't his sig guitar, I think it'd be 1/4 of the price.

An acoustic album would be great. But I'm with whoever said that it doesn't matter either way. Everything Steve's released so far, I spend a week thinking "what the? what have I just bought?" and then love it to death, so whatever he makes, I'm fine with that.