Anyone who uses 'Evolution' pickups, I need your help!

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
bkornaker1977

Anyone who uses 'Evolution' pickups, I need your help!

#1 Post by bkornaker1977 » Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:12 am

For all you jem owners or anyone who uses "evolution" pickups........please give me some insight on some suggested pickup height. If yall could measure you own height (in millimeters) by pressing the high and low E strings on the 24th fret, measure the distance between the bottom of the string and top of the pickup.

I need to gather some different readings from yall to evaluate where im gonna set mine at.
PLEASE REPLY!

well

#2 Post by 962 » Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:40 pm

I take it you're either building a guitar, or you've added some Evo's to another guitar, like an RG or something.

if the latter, then stick e'm wherever ther old ones were. If the former, then I can't help.

You gotta bare in mind that the guitar itself is gonna make the pickups sound different.

If you just got a Jem then you shouldn't need to change the pickup height. I haven't touched mine - I just raised the action about half, maybe three quarters of a millimetre to get the upper register of the E/B/G strings to ring with a little more clarity.

To be honest you should be able to approximate, and then fine-tune the height by the sound and playability that you like most.

Evo's are powerful pickups - with the tone wound off and on the neck pickup, they're really bassy, so don't put them too close otherwise your notes will turn to soup.

I'll see if I can find the Vernier Callipers and get a decent reading.

Do you have a Hum-Single-Hum Evolution configuration?

bkornaker1977

#3 Post by bkornaker1977 » Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:46 pm

im using the 'evo' in the bridge, and a 'fred' in the neck. Most manufacturers suggest putting them about 2 millimeters away when the highest fret is pressed. but what concerns me is that the fact that 'evos' are loud and powerfull, so i just wanted a tally of what everyone elses are set at to get an aproximate height.

davester1234

#4 Post by davester1234 » Mon Jun 02, 2003 1:40 pm

why don't you just test it at different levels and see how you like them, after all, its your ear, not mine or anyone elses....
In most cases, what the manufacter suggests is about right.

Moderator666

#5 Post by Moderator666 » Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:08 pm

let's keep this question to just one of your threads

http://vai.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=799

thank you