need help with my RG1527

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
GuitarJon

Hi,

I have had my RG1527 for about a year now,
and a couple of months back I took it to a repair man and he changed the strings from 0.9 to 0.10.
There are now 2 springs in the guitar, one black and 2 silver.
Anyway, in the last couple of weeks my tremelo (edge pro) has been a pain in the ass.
I have to adjust the springs in the guitar every couple of days, because the angle of the tremelo fluctuates.
Also, when I tune (with the nut locked) the strings tend to go flat, this takes about a couple of hours playing, and then the tramelo angle changes aswell. The springs get pulled on harder or something.
also, the 1st 3 strings are not intonated very well any more, can this be because the strings aren't really new?
If I put new strings on, is there any chance that the intonation will be better?
If it needs to be intonated, how do I do that with that type of bridge?
Thanks for helping!

Jon
jemgirl

hi guitarjon,i think its the string-gauge causes the problem.
go check this side out,it give you all the answers you need to adjust the bridge,:http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm.

goodluck!

patricia
Paul Secondino
Newcomer

GuitarJon wrote:Hi,

I have had my RG1527 for about a year now,
and a couple of months back I took it to a repair man and he changed the strings from 0.9 to 0.10.
There are now 2 springs in the guitar, one black and 2 silver.
Anyway, in the last couple of weeks my tremelo (edge pro) has been a pain in the ass.
I have to adjust the springs in the guitar every couple of days, because the angle of the tremelo fluctuates.
Also, when I tune (with the nut locked) the strings tend to go flat, this takes about a couple of hours playing, and then the tramelo angle changes aswell. The springs get pulled on harder or something.
also, the 1st 3 strings are not intonated very well any more, can this be because the strings aren't really new?
If I put new strings on, is there any chance that the intonation will be better?
If it needs to be intonated, how do I do that with that type of bridge?
Thanks for helping!

Jon
As Jemgirl mentioned, Rich Harriss has great info on proper set up.

Also, if your guitar used to work fine and now doesn't, then the string gauge is the obvious culprit. Normally, a good luthier would have no problem setting up your guitar. in the event that your luthier is not experienced with floating tremolos, he could have made some errors.

One possible error is that he removed the springs and replaced them with a different or weaker tensio spring.
If this is the case,you can buy some springs of the proper length or even buy them through an Ibanez dealer.As far as I know, your guitar came with 3 springs and those 3 springs should have been sufficient to balance the tremolo with 10's on the guitar.

Some of my guitars required a 4th spring when I changed to 10 gauge strings.After that,I tune the guitar and balance the tremolo plate. Then I repeat that step til the guitar is in tune and the tremolo plate is paralell to the body of the guitar.

Once this step is done I check the neck relief and adjust if necesarry.Then tuning and trem angle must be rechecked and adjusted if needed. Recheck your neck relief and then recheck tuning.

At this point, your trem should not need any more adjusting provided your strings are stretched properly. after this, intonatio can be adjusted and final action can be adjusted by raising or lowering the tremolo itself

I also highly recommend that you check your locking nut to make sure it is secure.Check the two allen head screws that attach the nut from the back of the neck. Check any of the other hardware to make sure it is properly tightened and you shold be fine.
DrGuitar
Newcomer

I have mant guitars with floating trems, I too use .010-.046. These guitars all have 3 springs. I would want all 3 of these springs to be the same type as well, get it set up by someone that has plenty of experience with floating trems.