What Pickups are in your RG ?

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
Evo_Heaven
Newcomer

I thought it would be intresting to find out, what type of pickups people are putting into the Ibanez RG's.

I have an RG1570 that has a Paf Pro in the neck, Vurtual Vintage in the middle and an Evo at the Bridge.

Im now changing the neck pickup to an Evo also. Routing is required to fit the pickups correctly, as the Evo's are a dam tall pickup.

So guys whats out there....? :D
kangaroo

Breed set in my 3120. They sound great, better than the stock pickups, especially the neck.
Ivar

Dimarzio IBZ's, factory defaults, im happy with them. First i wanted to put Evolutions in it, but i'm not that sure anymore, because they sound pretty good...
metallicafan647

I also have the IBZ Dimarzio's factory stock...I' am relativley happy with them, sounds o.k with the mahogany body, I intend to upgrade to Tone Zone (bridge) and Air Norton (neck) when I get some money.

:D
GuitarStrings

DiMarzio/IBZ. They sound so good. They are REALLY versatile.
Ivar

You know... this RG with IBZ's on it is the first guitar of mine which has a good sound (subjective) with the neck humbuckers.

I bought this guitar because I wanted to build in sustainerm but I didn't want to mess with my other guitars. I wanted to change the p/u to evolutions also... But now.. hehe... it's my fsavorite guitar, it plays so unbelievable smoothly and sounds great!!!

Maybe my best buy yet, the RG2550EX kicks ass!
Logic

RG 250 DX has those Power Sound pickups that are the same ones in
a bunch of RG's and others too I guess..
I am going to be changing them with EVO's
I must say though, that I have been able to get some really good tone out of the PS pickups!
A buddy could have sworn I was useing a wah pedal when I wasn't.
I have been able to milk a bunch of different anomalous sounds out of the PS's.
Needless to say I think I will be holding on to them until I land on the pick I want.
Also, I plan on taking advantage of the DiMarzio challange and try more than the EVO's.

Yours in fellowship.
The Extremist

RG-470-DX

The Stock pickups that came with it, they are great, definitly if your playing metal, leave the stock pickups in them.
ds23pallas

The Extremist wrote:RG-470-DX

The Stock pickups that came with it, they are great, definitly if your playing metal, leave the stock pickups in them.
That's weird - I dislike the stock pickups in my RG470! Maybe they changed them on newer models, mine is quite old.

I was almost sold on putting Evos in it, but I'm holding off for a bit...
The Extremist

ds23pallas wrote:
The Extremist wrote:RG-470-DX

That's weird - I dislike the stock pickups in my RG470! Maybe they changed them on newer models, mine is quite old.

I was almost sold on putting Evos in it, but I'm holding off for a bit...
This RG is from about maybe 1998-1999.
Klax

On my sons RG220b, I replaced the bridge pickup with an Evolution. It really opened up the sound a lot. Still, I don't care much for basswood bodies. Comparing my Jem and the RG, both using the bridge pickup, the tone differs noticably. The Jem is more even across the range, whereas the RG tends to be heavier on the low end with thinner highs. I'm not sure what pickup would correct this, or even you you would want to. It's not a bad sound, just different.
Logic

Mr. Klax
I am not sure the EVO pickups you get at the store are the same as that come stock in a JEM I know the single isn't for sure!
It would be interesting to know for sure.

Yours in fellowship.
Shreddy Krueger

I have diffrent DiMarzio pickups in all of my RG 550's.

I have a 91' 550dx w/ an Evolution set from my Jem 555.
I have an 89' 550 w/ a Breed bridge & Humbucker from Hell neck.
And I have a scalloped board 91' 550 w/ a PAF PRO bridge & Humbucker from Hell neck.

Hell....I like em all. :lol:
But my favorite is the PAF PRO/HFH combo. :twisted:
Logic

I forgot.
I have a RG 250 DX as stated above, I am going to be putting different pickups in it, as stated above.
The question is, what colour should I use??
I was thinking black, like whats in there now, then I thought, what about white??
This RG is white with black hardware. Like EVO without a handle.
Let me know what you all think.

Yours in fellowship.
SBarrett

Hey Logic!
I think white pickups would be awesome!
I always dreamed of having white Evos in any colored RG550.
Go for it!
I created a sample guitar design using a website that creates designs. I made a black RG550 with white pickups and control knobs, gold hardware, and a white binding. If the website was slightly more versatile I would add a black vine inlay! I could add Jem vine inlays in any color but black on this program.
If you haven't heard of this site, here it is.....

http://www.nymphusa.com/kisekae/kisekaee1.asp

-Sean