Emotional Bonds With Guitars

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.

Have you Lost the Emotional Attachment with your first guitar?

Yes
9%
Yes
9%
Yes
9%
Yes
9%
No
16%
No
16%
No
16%
No
16%

Total votes: 100
The Extremist

Im thinking about investing in a new guitar, but im thinking if i get a great guitar, i will loose the emotional bond i have with my Current Ibanez, and thats something i dont want to loose.

Those of you who have 2 guitars or more, have you lost the Emotional Attachment that you had with your first guitar (if you havent sold it already)
Psychlone

I wouldn't worry about it. There is still nothing that compares with my first electric guitar. I've tried others but nothing feels quite like her.
The Extremist

Thanks, that is very reassuring, i may go out and buy a new guitar, after i get an Amp.
shader

My first guitar was a Crate fat-strat copy i got from the fine folks at Triple R guitar.

Anyways, about 9 months into playing, i splurged and got a Gibson Les Paul, which i've had for nearly 3 years now, and I sold the crate for $100 (i hated the thing)....but i'm definatly attached to my les paul. i've never playd a guitar that played or sounded better than her
tim_knox

Yah my first guitar was a piece of shit and i didn't learn anything much in the time that i had it sooo, I still have it but i dont play it and i have no attachement to it. However, I am attached to my strat becuase i have come sooooo far with it and it has served me well
Evert
Newcomer

My first guitar was an Aria Explorer ZZ deLuxe. Bought it in `87 and still got it. I don`t play on it anymore, only play my two RG`s (7 str.) but i`ll never sell it or anything cause there`s a lot of memories attached to it.
marqq

you'll be very excited about your new guitar and your old one will rest in her case...after a while, that will go on, but, you'll have the time to attach emotionally to your new guitar.
We are always playing on the best material...that dosen't mean that you'll ever forget your 1st guitar :)
espguitarlord

I'm not really attached to any of my guitars. Perhaps a AmSt Strat, which was my second guitar after learning on an acoustic.

It's a big misconception that beginners should master an acoustic guitar before moving to an electric, it's the way I was advised to begin, and I probably could have progressed faster in those early stages ... whatever, but out of the 16 guitars I have owned, I have only sold 3, and one of them was my first acoustic guitar.

...'Too many bad memories of getting my new-to-guitar digits around 'Smoke On The Water'.
Little_Alligator

espguitarlord wrote:
...'Too many bad memories of getting my new-to-guitar digits around 'Smoke On The Water'.
Oh yeah! We've all been there :D

I think any guitarist will REMEMBER their first guitar, for either good or bad reasons, you're emotional attachment will depend on the experiences you have had with that guitar (again, good or bad).

Personally, my first guitar:
-> first live gig;
-> first recording;
-> survived numerous accidents;
-> every ding tells a story.

I now own an Ibanez, I would never sell my first guitar because of its sentimental value (and it's prety worthless now anyway) but I never play it anymore.

SPM
><O>
Jemaholic

I bought my first guitar in 1969 with my paper-route money for $25.00.
It was a Zim-Gar Strat-style solid body with 4 strings left on it.
I got new strings and played it through my dad's stereo system in the family room. I used string for a strap.

Priceless. :wink:
mattmcmanus

My first electric was a Squier Strat. Gradually I upgraded and eventually ended up taking to the headstock with a black marker pen and a bit of sandpaper so it said something a little ruder and more descriptive...

Recently I took some tools, lem oil etc back to my parents' house where the guitar is stored, stripped it, tightened the truss rod, cleaned everything up, and restrung it, and it felt so good.

I guess the thing was the low quality of it and the poor initial setup, but I'd still want to play it. I've got loads of guitars now but each one has meaning.
metalriff7
Newcomer

This wasn't my first guitar, but it is the first guitar I ever paid for myself.

I've been playing for about 9 years, and I've gone through about 15 guitars trying to find one with good quality, sound, and playability. About 3 years ago, I foung a see-thru black ESP LTD H-200, used for about $250. It's been practically destroyed over the past few years. Ive had pickup rings busted, tuning machines bent, and I was stupid enough to trust a "fragile" sticker when I was checking it onto an airplane. during that incident, about 10 square inches of body wood got ripped off by bad handling. But this guitar still hangs proudly on my wall (out of commision). I would never ever get rid of this guitar.

Anyway, Ive bought a few guitars since then, but none have replaced the sentimental value of my h-200[/i]
Mr_Guitarman

My first guitar was a Squire if cost me 80 dollars it is the cheapest electric guitar I ve ever heard of and it goes out of tune within a few minutes of play, but I love it I currently have 3 guitars a nylon string classical that my guitar teacher gave me off the rack at his shop, and my Jackson dx 10 that I reseved as a graduation gift to me all of my guitars are in some way emotionaly attached yo me. All I can say is that if you by a guitar because of a reason other than just wanting another guitar you will be emotionaly attached to it
JJStraw
Newcomer

I just traded my first guitar (the blue MIJ strat I've mentioned in other posts) on an Ovation acoustic.
It was a financial decision and a very hard one (all the memories, etc). If that guitar is still there on the 15th (payday) I think I'll go buy it back.
It sounded good, but more importantly, I could play it in total darkness and hit all the pinch harmonics first try I knew it so well.
I'll get to that point with my new Jem, but I already miss the feeling I got holding an instrument that has been with me through so much of life and it's curveballs.
guyzif

I got my first guitar when my Dad brought it back from my cousins funeral in germany, it was my other cousin's first guitar, so its been in the family a while. It sounded s**ty so i put Evo's in it and changed the bridge to a tune-o-matic. I F**KED it up real good and now its useless. I'm going to try my hardest to fix it though. Bood, sweat and tears has gone into it, the neck feels soooo good i can't get rid of it.