Is it worth it? Epiphone Les paul. Weird color.

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
u2

http://community.webshots.com/album/140656552hiPwwJ

is this a rip off ( someone in singapore selling for $450)? The color looks really really weird in the photos.
I seriously need an electric to start with. I have seen Slash use them and bend the sound with the movement of the body. It says limited edition in one of the photos not sure if its true and the tuners looks cheap. The guitar looks plastic. :roll:
The Extremist

dude, you dont need a high end guitar to get you started. Trust me, an Ibanez RG or a BC Rich Warlock would do you the best, getting something over the Internet on E-Bay or any of them places is going to break in 2 seconds of you laying hands on it. Only buy 1st hand off the net.

But really, you should get an RG or a Warlock to start with. Maybe even a flying V :D
u2

Flying V ok thats interesting what brand u suggest.
The Extremist

really, i couldnt say much on them, i have played one or two, but they had total different feels, depends on what you want.
Bono

Best thing I can suggest is that you go to a music shop and try out loads of different guitars...in my opinion there's nothing worse than starting on a guitar that feels and sounds horrible. Try and get the best feel because it will probably shape your technique.
The Extremist

yeah, i think my guitar has had a big impact on my playing style. Also the fact that i used to play on a Squire Tele and broke it some how, so i play a Classical until i got my Current Guitar, helped build up alot of my finger stretches.

So play with something you like.
RickAllen

Flying v's are very cool looking but can be hard to get used to playing, especially when sitting down. I just got a Randy Rhoads Jackson and it's a little tricky.
ILOVEDeNiro

as cool as Edge looks with a Les Paul - esp. that discoball one on the POP album.......those guitars are heavy!
i pretty much know jack about guitars, but The Extremist is right....those things are fat & heavy & if you want a guitar to help you start moving your fingers etc.
you could try the Ibanez model i got - GRX20....it's not fancy but affordable. all i gotta do now is practice every day :wink:

it's funny, when i think of Flying V's immediatly the image of Hetfield & Hammett come to mind from the Cliff 'em All video 8) the one with the snapped neck that was fixed how many times?
shader

get a strat.
tim_knox

I really dont know why people are too lazy to go to the closest Daddys etc. and try out a bunch of guitars. Instead of asking people on a forum why dont you just go and try one out yourself that is the only way to figure out which one fits you best. :lol: . But since you did ask ill say that a lot depends on your style and what type of sound you are going for.

I would recommend not getting that epi, considering that is is on E-bay (although the strat i have now i got on ebay and i love it), it is a risky venture. You really should just go to a guitar store and find out for yourself.
mattmcmanus

Regarding the original question, I don't think it would be the best deal. You gotta remember that the postage from Thailand would be sky-high too, on top of the $450.

The Slash pitch-bend thing you mention (used, for example, in Sweet Child) is achieved by pressing the back of the neck forward slightly so that the tension on the strings is lowered slightly. I would not recommend doing this too much on an Epiphone! It also only works on guitars with set necks rather than bolt-on necks.
ILOVEDeNiro

tim_knox wrote:I really dont know why people are too lazy to go to the closest Daddys etc. and try out a bunch of guitars. Instead of asking people on a forum why dont you just go and try one out yourself that is the only way to figure out which one fits you best.
man, that'd be so great to walk into a guitar shop & be able to try out whatever guitar i liked the look of (within a certain price range of course)
but no! i go in & there's like 2 or 3 leftys to look at versus 200 righthanders! and the majority of the left handed ones are Samicks :cry:
it's enough to make ya cry.

long live the lefty!
The Extremist

well my local guitar shop has shitty fucking guitar that you would spit on cause they aint worth it. I have to travel to Belfast to see good guitars.
u2

my friend just told me that the Les Paul is pretty restricted and dead haha.

sigh....i think i will go for a medium grade fender copy or a epiphone goth explorer.
u2

mattmcmanus wrote:Regarding the original question, I don't think it would be the best deal. You gotta remember that the postage from Thailand would be sky-high too, on top of the $450.

The Slash pitch-bend thing you mention (used, for example, in Sweet Child) is achieved by pressing the back of the neck forward slightly so that the tension on the strings is lowered slightly. I would not recommend doing this too much on an Epiphone! It also only works on guitars with set necks rather than bolt-on necks.
Hmm could u tell me the index for sweet child? The body movement- umm i seen in in a performace of a song called Whole Lotta Love.