Which company is better?

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
V41

I'd like an unbiased answer...

Is Gibson or Ibanez better when it comes to electric guitars?
Are they in the same league even? Which company is doing better 'today'?

My father plainly states that Gibson is way better, and he's never even heard of Ibanez. So I had to practically plead when I told him I wanted to buy the "Steve Vai" JEM7V.
Last edited by V41 on Sun May 09, 2004 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matthew

It's all a matter a of personal preference. If you like handcrafted guitars with a vintage feel, Gibson's the way to go. But if you want a high-performance instrument, Ibanez is for you. Gibson's guitars are generally high priced and they don't really make "budget" instruments, unless of course you count Epiphone. But still, Ibanez are very good guitars and I'd rather have an Ibanez then a Gibson, so I guess it's all up to you. Remember there's no right or wrong here, but more what you like.
Logic

I agree with Matthew,

I learned on a Les Paul and they are very nice. But not very versatile. my main guitar is Ibanez due to its versatility. The Ibanez plays every bit as good as the Les Paul. plus a Floyd Rose. Gibsons use only choice woods, not because of tone and resonance, but finish. Les Pauls have some of the most stunning finishes on the planet! All for the low low price of $3500.00! So, If you want a guitar that you can play, play hard, and not empty your account, get the Ibanez.
rockininthefreeworld

I agree with Mattew and Logic but I know that Ibanez guitars were made in the same factory that Samick...
Matthew

I'm guessing only the Korean models are made in the Samick factory, but the Japan models are high end and high quality. (JS, JEM, Prestige, etc.)
Chukie

Matthew wrote: (JS, JEM, Prestige, etc.)
True, but including RGs, SAs, SZs and more series made in Japan!!

Because there are differences between Japan and Korean models (the old Japan RG470 and Korean RG270 is good example)
woogidy the great
Newcomer

you cant really tell what guitar is better unless you have played it that is what i say because it is all about tone and feel it could be a 5,000 gibson and feel like shit i wouldnt pay 150 for it, but if it is a 150$ ibanez that feels really good then i would pay that and more if that is what it takes
Bono

Theres always a myth with anything you buy in the world where money=quality. I just don't find that with Gibsons...I remember playing a £3000 gibson (I forget which one) and I really didn't like it. I definatley prefer Ibanez.
Logic

I have a Korean Ibanez and it plays like a dream. In fact, I just had a freind over with a special addition strat and even though it have a very rich, fat Strat sound, the action didn't touch the Ibanez from Korea. The moral of the story gets back to the origin of this thread. In my humble opinion, no company or country of origin means anything. Play what you can get your hands on and decide what works for you. those who refuse to get a guitar because of origin or company don't let me catch you with a EP7, its a Korean guitar. :)

Yours in fellowship
rockininthefreeworld

The Ibanez guitars that were made in tha samick factory, were made in Indonesia,,,My Samick sounds very, very, very good.
Try both guitars. Then choose.
Bye
Save the planet.
Ivan
davester1234

V41 wrote: My father plainly states that Gibson is way better, and he's never even heard of Ibanez.
That's some good formal logic. :wink:
Logic

This is so funny.
I remember all the arguments back in the day about whether the Strat or the Paul was the better guitar. I was a new teen age guitarist at the time and didn't know anything about the differences between guitars, but my brother had a Les Paul (the one I learned on). So hey! The Pauls were best.. right?? This was 20 someodd years ago. I remember seeing this guy with a funky guitar with a hole in it, leaning on the lamp post wearing a hat! I looked at the guitar and it was an Ibanez. I thought this guy couldn't be any good.. he doesn't play a Les Paul!! I went on my merry way. Well,, 20 years later, I found out the guy was Steve Vai!!! I could have been listening and learning from Mr Vai all that time, but hey! He played an Ibanez. Anyway I found Mr Vai in the end.. but thats a different thread ~~>> http://vai.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3 ... c&start=60
tim_knox

yah Gibsons are really ellaborate and have crazy gloss finishes and trap inlays and what not. Ibanez are more get to the point and play guitars, with floyd roses and light weight bodies as opposed to the gibsons two ton bodies.

I owned a gibson les paul for a while and these are the reasons why i didn't like it- Too Heavy
- knee groove was wierd and hard to work with
- the trap inlays really confused and annoyed me
- really expensive
- the stock tuning pegs have this loose plastic that vibrated (maybe it was just mine)

i also owned an Ibanez but it was a shitty one, and not like an RG, Jem etc.- so no comment

however I am a strat man. To me strats are perfect and im glad they have not changed that much in a half century :lol:
espguitarlord

You can't compare the two at all. The JEM is specifically made for lead playing whereas the LP is a 'classic' guitar that while you can play lead on, isn't particularly best suited for this purpose.

I have both Ibanez and Gibson in my collection. A Gibson LP and 2 Ibanez guitars, a JEM and a Destroyer. I can categorically say that the nitrocellulose finish on the LP is inferior to the Ibanez guitars, it's positively messy in places. While Gibson enthusiasts argue the guitar's versatility, IMO the JEM produces more usable tones. And all the rest... 2 octave neck, locking trem etc.

It depends what you play, if you were in a classic rock band, you probably wouldn't go for a JEM...
tim_knox

LPs are very well suited for lead!!-it just depends on the type of music you play.