changing stock Pickups

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
AuburnTiger
Newcomer

changing stock Pickups

#1 Post by AuburnTiger » Thu May 01, 2003 10:36 am

I bought one of those new Santana guitars a few months ago, and I hate the pickups in it. They do not have hardly any gain. I want to change them. But I am not shure what to change them to. The body is solid Mahogony and it is neck through construction. I put some .11's on it and it sounds a little better. I play it through a 5150. I was thinking maybe a Seymore Duncan like the Parallel axis trembucker like Blues Saraceno uses for the bridge. And a PAF Pro in the neck. Or Get some EMG's like Zakk Wylde uses. I want to get some crunch and a lot of Harmonics but I also want a nice clean tone. I haven't ever changed out pick ups before so I just thought some of you guys could give me some advice.

Thanks,
Steven

Moderator777

#2 Post by Moderator777 » Thu May 01, 2003 10:43 am

Moved to proper forum area.

--------------
Dêkuji,

Moderator777
www.vai.com

Junebughunter

#3 Post by Junebughunter » Thu May 01, 2003 11:49 am

Stay away from EMG's, IMHO they are the worst pick ups made...

Some Seymours or Dimarzio PAF pros would sound good in it I am sure...pretty much any top of the line pickup (besides EMG :P) is going to make this guitar sound better...

As far as installing it...you just need a good soldering IRON and solder. It is really incredibly easy...just find a wiring diagram or write out the old wiring before you start. Practice wiring other things together...before I rewired my RG I playedw with soldering guitar strings and making shapes just for practice...it takes time to get familiar with how the soldering iron melts...sticks, and just works.

Neobrit
Newcomer

#4 Post by Neobrit » Thu May 01, 2003 4:08 pm

Don`t worry about changing the pickups its an easy job if you take your time. Dimarzio tone zones might be nice (the ones paul gilbert uses). If you go to the dimarzio and seymour web sites they also have wiring diagrams in case you get a second hand pair. Good luck !

http://www.dimarzio.com/f_main.html

http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/main.shtml

Word

#5 Post by Word » Sun May 04, 2003 7:53 am

I wouldn't so much go by what another member here says about which pickups to buy, because it's really all personal preference. One person may say that EMGs suck, and you might like them.

I personally am a DiMarzio guy, but I do like the Seymour Duncan JB and Dimebucker models.

Blue_Powder

#6 Post by Blue_Powder » Wed May 07, 2003 7:02 am

Junebughunter wrote:Stay away from EMG's, IMHO they are the worst pick ups made...

Actually...my experiences have found them to be about as rugged as a tank and pretty true to the general sound they advertise them to be. I have a set I put in a Telecaster more than 10 years ago that have remained as the absolute last mod I'd ever need to do on that guitar.

The best advice I can give someone for choosing pickups is to just listen to everything you'd want your guitar to sound like and work from there. Keep in mind that a mahogany body isn't going to sound like alder wood with the same pickups in both; there are tonal differences which can be drastic.

Renge

Pickups

#7 Post by Renge » Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:11 am

My personal preference is a Seymour Duncan JB SH-4 in the bridge, and a DiMarzio Evolution in the Neck.

Well, for the gainiac approach anyhow. Lately I've been diggin the standard stratocaster single coil sound, glassy, low out put, makes me giddy.

shader

#8 Post by shader » Mon Jul 14, 2003 11:44 am

A Santana eh?

I'd recommend burning it and getting yourself a nice Squier...

/not a PRS Santana fan