Ibanez Jem - 50K Celebration

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Ibanez Jem - 50K Celebration

#1 Post by Mikey » Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:46 am

At the time of this writing Ibanez has sold 45,160 Jem guitars since the initial release of this ground-breaking instrument in 1987.

Steve and Ibanez plan to do something special to mark 50,000 Jems sold.

We'd love to hear your suggestions about how we can mark this important milestone in the rich history of the Ibanez Jem!

All input is welcome - so play your very own part in the Jem's on-going success by telling us your thoughts!

Steve and Ibanez look forward to reading your replies!

Ricky Garcia

#2 Post by Ricky Garcia » Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:38 am

- It would be cool to have Steve actually build that 50k Jem guitar in the Ibanez custom shop himself and have that as a documentary (video and pics) and maybe later sell that special handmade SV guitar on ebay for charity. :).

- Also a special 50k Jem Anniversery concert would be cool with some Ibanez All-Star performances. Have that show video taped of course and maybe together with a documentary of the evolution of the Jem over the years or in combination with that "Vai is building a guitar" event together. :wink:. Also a information menu with all the JEMs listed with infos and specs etc on that Dvd.

Willin

#3 Post by Willin » Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:38 am

I think that Ibanez should launch a new evolution of the Jem series for the 50,000 sold anniversary. Here's an idea:

-Make a completely radical strat-like Jem design. Something like the guitar seen here:
http://www.vai.com/Machines/guitarpages/guitar116.html

I know that there is a percentage of the market that is turned off by Jems because of the intimidating Floyd Rose locking tremelo system. Hell, even I wish that I didn't have a locking tremelo on my Jem sometimes so I can shift to alternate tunings quicker. A strat-like Jem design would appeal more to the traditionalist market which Ibanez does not have a large foothold in. Also, the simpler tremelo design on a strat-Jem would appeal to more beginner guitarists, which again, is a large market.

Make this guitar more traditional in coloration and attitude while maintaining the Jem necessities. I'm sure if this were offered in colors like a cherryburst (as seen here = http://www.prsforum.com/images/myguitar2.jpg ), and tobaccoburst, a lot of people would take interest. Don't make it extravagantly priced like the DNA's. Although this guitar would undoubtedly have many strat-like qualities, it's extra additions like a monkey grip and Ibanez headstock will make it more appealing to the younger generation than the "old-fart" strat design. Also, I know that many people are turned off by strats because they do not have 24 frets. If you could fit 24 on this strat-Jem, i'm sure many people would view that as a buying point.

I personally believe that this would be a huge step forward for the Jem design. While it would not be a substitute for the Jem as we know it, this guitar would provide new avenues and markets for Ibanez to explore with their designs. Although I own a 7VWH, I have always wished that Ibanez would release a more classy design and/or coloration (i.e. Cherryburst finish). I honestly think that it would appeal to a lot of players out there and maybe Ibanez would gain more reputability among the traditionalist guitar crowd.

As for Steve and all guitarists, this guitar would offer not only visual differences, but also tonal variation. It would sound completely different from any Jem yet produced while still maintaining the Jem vibe. It'd almost be like a modernized Green Meanie, which I believe would be very neat! This would not be "just another" jem with a different finish and fretboard material. It would be a true evolution of the Jem series. Steve and Ibanez changed many modern guitar concepts when they introduced the Jem, why not dare to do it again with a 50,000 sold anniversary model? Shake things up a little bit; i'm sure it'd make big news! I hope this interests you, Steve... thanks for giving us the opportunity to add our input! Does anyone else like this idea?

wintonsmith1984

#4 Post by wintonsmith1984 » Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:40 am

I'm sure that a new Loch Ness green Jem would be a top seller !!!

Willin

#5 Post by Willin » Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:11 pm

Isn't anyone tired of old designs being re-introduced all of the time, or is it just me? :?

RickAllen

#6 Post by RickAllen » Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:15 pm

What about a clear Jem? I want a free one if you pick this idea.

Gabe Nickelson

#7 Post by Gabe Nickelson » Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:27 pm

Willin, I don’t like the strat idea mainly because it takes away too much of the Jem characteristics such as the lions claw trem, floyd-style trem, and signature H-S-H configuration. No production Jem has been build with S-S-S config so why tribute the Jem with a guitar without Jem characteristics? I see your point though. Maybe make one similar to that as a different model. I can’t stomp on someone’s idea without sharing my own (which is up for stomping if anyone wants to :)).

Idea #1 - What about a relic replica of EVO (minus the body cracks, of course).
Idea #2 – Re-issue the LNG, 777 of them, but not quite the same specs (collectors might get pissed). Maybe add the AANJ to it? Ideas?
Idea #3 – A gold plated Jem (not real gold, but gold-like material). Gold hardware (including bar), gold headstock, embossed Ibanez logo, ebony fingerboard gold mirror vine, neck would be birds eye maple with bubinga strip. Trem cavity cover would be gold metallic material with etched writing, similar to the JS Chromeboy.

I really like Ricky’s idea about getting Ibanez performers together to celebrate. The DVD idea is great as well.

Congrats to Steve and Ibanez on this milestone!

Tschuuu!
Gabe

Vaiper

#8 Post by Vaiper » Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:40 pm

how about a cheaper JEM for us poor guys in the sticks? lol :lol:

Willin

#9 Post by Willin » Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:27 pm

The one thing that I hope for is that this guitar is AFFORDABLE! Please don't release a DNA or Jem 10th equivalent. They are beautiful guitars, but they are way too expensive! If the strat-Jem idea is too radical, then I'd have to pledge my support for a modernized release of the original LNG Jems with an AANJ, new pickups, etc. By the way, LNG Jems look STUNNING with an ebony fingerboard! I'd reccomend using it! Check out a LNG with ebony fingerboard here:

http://www.vai.com/Machines/schiller_eb ... /01LRG.jpg

Ryan Layton
Banned

#10 Post by Ryan Layton » Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:13 pm

Idea 1- make it cheeper

Idea 2- a sustainer pickup in it. get the guy that drew the Flex-Able album cover to paint a mural spaning the front and back of the guitar. Make some kind of press that can stamp the images on guitars as soon as they come out (or just get the guy to paint a few guitars and make it exclusive) and maybe a furnandez sustainer in the bridge since it is common place in steves newer guitars.

VHWolfgang5150
Newcomer

Cheaper Version....

#11 Post by VHWolfgang5150 » Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:51 pm

Vaiper said it all, make a cheaper version. :D

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

#12 Post by Mikey » Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:53 pm

Willin wrote:Check out a LNG with ebony fingerboard here:

http://www.vai.com/Machines/schiller_eb ... /01LRG.jpg
That's a rosewood board ;)

And yeah - it does look sweet! :)

Matthew

#13 Post by Matthew » Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:13 pm

I am unsure of what they can do. Ricky Garcias idea sounds great. As far as a new guitar goes, I hope the new Jem will have green on it. Maybe a new LNG, but without the 80's blend of colors (pink and green). Maybe a green body, black pickguard, green vines, black lions claw, yellow knobs, and green pickup switch. And put an original Edge on it, as well as some DiMarzio Evo's. Maybe a couple of new feature. A new 7 string would be great as well. I would also like to see something reminscent of the UV777, with a green and black theme. Maybe some more abalone and the mirror/chrome look.

RAI

#14 Post by RAI » Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:33 pm

Ricky Garcia wrote:- It would be cool to have Steve actually build that 50k Jem guitar in the Ibanez custom shop himself and have that as a documentary (video and pics) and maybe later sell that special handmade SV guitar on ebay for charity. :).

- Also a special 50k Jem Anniversery concert would be cool with some Ibanez All-Star performances. Have that show video taped of course and maybe together with a documentary of the evolution of the Jem over the years or in combination with that "Vai is building a guitar" event together. :wink:. Also a information menu with all the JEMs listed with infos and specs etc on that Dvd.
This is is the best idea so far...
Except for the selling part.
It's a great thing to raise money for a charity, but in this case it should be done like a raffle (like the triple neck heart guitar), so that everybody has an equal chance to get their hands on it.
Not just the select few with 20-30K to spare...
:)

There aren't too many things that could be changed on a JEM (see "Strato-JEM"...), because then it's no longer a JEM.
A LNG re-issue, with updated fetures is a good idea...

bkornaker1977

#15 Post by bkornaker1977 » Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:29 pm

hmmm.....mirror jem should make an appearance. We have all been waiting for it!

or how about a RED jem! i noticed steve really doesnt have any red guitars!
with a matching red headstock..........
and a smoked red mirror pickguard!.......
and a sustainer!.........
and a.......
a.......

ill stop now.