ibanez problem

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
laficojr

ibanez problem

#1 Post by laficojr » Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:33 pm

hi folks, i have one ibanez rg250 and when i use the floyd rose my guitar
dont tune right is this normal?

Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

#2 Post by Jeroen » Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:52 pm

Pretty much, especially if it's an older one.
Try to set it up, use www.jemsite.com tech section for that, but all the while start saving for a better axe. Any japanese Ibanez (RG 5XX and higher, loaded with an Edge or Lo pro Edge) will do fine, and, since last year, new tremolo's like the Pro Edge and Pro Edge II are allright. Certainly better than the single locking trs or Lo TRS II you currently have. The problem with those is the soft metal used in the base of the trem and the posts.

zook
Newcomer

#3 Post by zook » Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:08 am

Does this apply the RG 320 too? I have huge problems to keep it in tune, when I tune it and start all over again, it´s out of tune. When I pull or move my whammy bar some, it might be allright, like the strings (three) are not strong enough to keep the at the position. When I push down, the git may get lower than the tune, or when I pull the whammy up, it might get just in tune or a little higher.

And jeroenn, thanks for a tip about the Jemsite! My prob might get an answer from there!

Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by Jeroen » Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:56 am

Yeah, it does. The rule of thumb is (and there are ofcourse exeptions to the rule) Korean made Ibanez's are prone to quality issues. (although there is improvement). The axes equipped with Lo-TRS trems (Jem 555, JS-100, RG-everything below 500 etc), fall in that category. TRS's are notoriously unstable and prone to tunning issues. Unfortuynally, you cannot simply drop in a (Lo Pro) Edge without additional routing (most of the time). The newer axes (year 2003 and higher), have a Edge Pro II in stead of the Lo TRS, which happens to be an improvement.

zook
Newcomer

#5 Post by zook » Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:39 am

Darn, it seems that I must start drooling after a better equipped quitar then. I was totally ignorant of that fact when I bought this axe last summer. :cry: :x

Anyway, thanks again, Jeroenn!

ps. There was a typo in my last posting, I meant "springs" not "strings" :lol:

Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

#6 Post by Jeroen » Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:58 am

Well, used RG-5XX goes for next to nothing, so.. :) You can allways leave your current one as a 'lasher' type of axe.. ;)
A backstop device may fix some of your problems though.

zook
Newcomer

#7 Post by zook » Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:06 am

You dropped me, what´s a backstop device?

Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

#8 Post by Jeroen » Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:47 am

Any tremsetter or similar device, which purpose it is to set the trem back to zero (and increase the resistance of the motion of the trem, so you don't go 'drunk' or sharp when you rest your hand on it. To a certain degree ofcourse). See "all about Evo" here on vai.com. BTW, the Ibanez devices are no longer sold, but there are similar devices.