Help Identify Black Jem Jr 555 BK with Mirror Pickguard

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
avenueofthesun
Newcomer

Help Identify Black Jem Jr 555 BK with Mirror Pickguard

#1 Post by avenueofthesun » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:37 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum and I'm posting because I picked up a rather nice and unique Jem Jr. 555 BK that has a mirror pick guard with the vine of life etched into it. From the serial number I can deduce that it's a 1997 because the first number is a 7.( I think?) It also seems to be signed by Steve Vai himself. I am trying to find out more about the guitar as I cannot find ANY info. on it at all. Nor can I find any images of the guitar. I would also like to know if it's actually his signature. Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANKS

http://s91.photobucket.com/user/avenueo ... /Jem%20555" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jeries

Re: Help Identify Black Jem Jr 555 BK with Mirror Pickguard

#2 Post by Jeries » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:24 am

The guitar is a JEM555bk
JEM555
- offset double cutaway American basswood body, bolt-on maple neck, 24-fret rosewood fingerboard with pearl dot/vine inlay with Steve Vai signature block inlay at 24th fret, Lo TRS II tremolo, six-on-a-side tuners, charcoal hardware, humbucker/single coil/humbucker DiMarzio pickups, volume/tone control, five-way switch, available in Black or White finish, mfg. 1994-2000.

The signature is more likely than not real- once again doesn't help or hurt the value of the instrument

and the pickguard is an after market pickguard- i've seen them on ebay for $20-30 for years
the black one should have a black pearl original pickguard