Login with a social network:

It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:19 pm 

There you go. Whats the opinion on a fixed bridge guitar that has the feel of the older jems?

My 12yr old son is just killing the drum skins and my oldest son of 15 seems to be a natural with a bass guitar in his hands. They want to play lots of songs in alternate tunings.

All my current guitars have a floating bridge. I have an old 1980's Kramer w/Floyd & active emg's that I added an additional spring to in the 90's so I could drop tuning with little tuning effort, but I'm looking for something new. I also have no plans to stiffen my jems bridges for this.

Looking for a nice natural tone, great player, etc. Drop d in a few seconds or drop the whole guitar to something in 60 seconds or less.

Say around $1,000 USD for a budget on the guitar. ( used preferred, let someone else take the instant depreciation hit ) I would like to stay on the low side as I also want to add a new amp head to the mix. Just not sure there yet either.

Maybe something from Swart Amps, Six String, Verellen, etc, or a local builder one off, etc. Something not main stream that makes you go wow what the hell is that. Never heard of that brand. Some one needs to support these smaller companies as they are needed in the music industry like micro brew companys keep the larger ones on their toes.

I know the whole service & support thing with the big dogs, maybe you will get better with a smaller company that just got their legs. Rant over.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:46 am 

You could install a trem. locker. Something like this:

Or just find a cheap guitar with fixed bridge and pickups and a neck as you like.

Or something a bit different (12" radius, 24.75" scale, Les Paul) this Epiphone Les Paul:
http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Les-Pa ... utfit.aspx
It got 2 USA Gibson Classic 57 pickups (PAF). Also got locking tuners, and a ok price.

I use Fender Strat (single coils) with the tremolo set resting to the body so I only can use it
forward/down (lowering the pitch). Sometimes I would like a humbucker in the bridge but
not found the "perfect" HS pickup guitar for me yet.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:21 pm 

I don't like any of your ideas or the trem setter type idea---

take a good guitar- any of them...jem...ibanez rg...who cares
($1000 is too much because if you fix a guitar even a junky one will have so much more stability)

have it blocked,
not with a fancy tremsetter or adjustable block
but a peice of wood- in fact with trem you'd still be able to dive down- and do all the tuning things you dream of

if you really wanna go crazy- have it blocked WITH WOOD- both ways- so it can't move- then you can do anything-

i've had bands that tuned 1/2 step down (and hated it) but the best solution was to block my two main guitars and it worked for the remainder of that project-

now- i'm going to say something very bad and rude and be hated for saying this-
but i bought a fake jem from china and blocked it- and it was pretty good- i gave it to a friend though to hang up at his house

shhhh don't tell anyone

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:00 am 

Heck yeah, block it with a piece of wood. Never entered my mind. Great idea.. I'll slap a piece in a 7DBK to test it out.

My wife advised me to stop the band gear $ flood gates. So another guitar in the house wouldn't have went over well anyway.

My son's best buddy just picked up a new epiphone les paul pro or something last week. I didn't care for the feel of the neck or very heavy weight of the guitar itself. Maybe the tribute has a different neck. I'll check one out. I've always liked the look of a Les Paul though.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:07 am 

Oh and while I have been looking around at used guitars this past week or so I ran across a used 100W Carvin V3. It's being delivered today as a mater of fact according to tracking info.

Can't wait to try that out. I can easily flip it for some other boutique amp later.

Hopefully I can get some good 1990's and 2000's sounds out of it. My sons are into music from these decades and my JCM900 - 4100 just can't get a lot of that tone on it's own.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:50 pm 

if you want a "modern" sound for "kids these days"

I'd recommend a 6505+

The 1x12 combos go for like $300-350 used

i've seen them as low as 250

also
eleven racks going for $250 used now- get one- not bad either- great value for the used money

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:45 pm 

Jeries, I have taken your advice in a lot of your posts over the years. Even kept a lookout for a 6505+ from another thread here. (But wasnt in the market for a new amp, willing to try though for a great buy ) With me living in the sticks there are never any deals close by. Sux... I wasnt looking to buy a new amp now, but found one that was to good to let go to someone else.

Got the V3 in the mail today, noted as near mint in the ad, it is just that, but no power cable sent pissed me off.

Got to say I'm a big fan of this amp! All the tone control between the 3 channels.. it's pretty bad ass! (Guitar right into amp, no candy effects)

It has a much better overall full tone with a noticable increase in bottem end over my jcm 900.

Im torn though, i see there is a reissue of the jcm 900 that would take $2,100 to replace NEW. I just had an offer on mine ( one owner since 1993 and its mint! Babied, never giged or left my houses over the years ) after he saw me hook up the V3. Its a good friend so I may let it go for a fraction of that new cost. He jams lepplin and 70's such 85% of his tunes. It fits that.

Just had that damn amp way longer than my kids..lol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:07 pm 

Damn, forgot to mention my luthier has been looking into producing blocks from a 3D printer for us with a floating trem that want to tune to whatever we want. I brought up the wood block advise and he went off on some of his ideas. He is still working out the various spring angles and spacings needed to go live.

Quick fix, take a bunch of quarters, yep $.25 cent coins. Bunch them up in a roll to hold the floating trem, tune to whatever, lock your nuts down and pocket the quarters. Fine tune as needed. Works for a few tunes if you leave the trem bar off and dont go nuts bending strings.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:27 am 

I have the best guitar guys- he's the most expensive in town and has a 6 mo waiting list
but he's the best... (Glen Campbell, Michael Schenker but never brags about who he's worked for)- he's blocked mine with wood for $20-

anyway

Marshall is still running on their reputation for years
a few things

1- the JCM900 is the only marshall that gets the distortion from a 25 cent op amp like in a cheap distortion pedal- not from the tubes and stuff-
2- they have low low low resale value- they may reissue one for $2000 but no one will buy one esp when in phoenix they're $350 used-
3- if you can sell it- get rid of it quick
4- JCM2000's DSL- great amp- blows away most JCM900's and many other amps
(DSL is in many ways better than plexi's and JCM800's - it will get you that tone you want faster and cheaper and easier rather than modifying amps and cranking them until your ears bleed)

I had a plexi it put out 130 watts clean- to crank it literally shook everything off every wall of my house- i had a PPIMV installed and dimed that bitch

(i loved the master volume so much i had my amp guy mod it more- then i hated it and sold it for a loss)

interesting fact- the dsl is basically on channel 1- a clean jcm800 and cranked jcm800 and channel 2 is like a cranked plexi and a modded plexi - with eq/scoops/etc

but for modern music a 6505 6505+ or dual rectifier is the standard

About the power cable- i've probably sold/shipped in my life 2-3 amps- i've probably forgot hte power cable 50% of the time- sometimes fedex forgets it when they're boxing it for me too
...once you get the amp in their safe its so easy to forget!!!

but i look at gear diffrently- like as an investment

so keep an eye out for good gear at a good price and upgrade when it comes to you
i've bought 4 6505+ 112's

between $200-250

i have one now- basically - every time i had one someone would say 'hey i need a good small tube amp with usable distortion what should i get' and i'd say 'oh the 6505+112' and they're like 'where can i find one' and i'm like 'i just bought one' and then i sell it ever time- 3 times

the one i have now i haven't turned on since i bought it- i bought it in february - 6 months

a week ago my friend ted called me...asked me the same question (he's a carvin user- legacy combo and x100b half stack- he also has no idea who steve vai is- he plays in a pretty successful local punk band)

so- he may take this one then i'll be stuck without one til i find one for $300 then say 'i'll give you 200' then do the circle of 6505's