VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:35 am 
Newcomer

Can anybody pls help me look for a replacement part for my Fernandes FSK401 Sustainer.

I'm trying to adjust the VBC pot and I over twisted it(Yeah stupidy strikes!) and the top part fell off(Arrow B - it says 104). If you could pls tell me the exact part needed to replace this one (Arrow A) it will definitely be appreciated. I tried Googling it (the manual says that it's as 104 kOhms pot) but no luck.

Here's a pic of the board
http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u474/j3yps/FSK401BrokenPot_zps5f16ebaf.jpg

Thanks in advanced!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:36 pm 

if you destroyed a trim pot- see if it can be adjusted by screwing with the inside...

if the sustainer still works then you're in good shape

if it does not- you'll prob need a whole new kit/circuit board

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:37 am 
Newcomer

The sustainer is still working, and i've already figured out the part needed for this. Maybe someone with more experience can help me with this one. As you can see on the pic it is installed on my RG2550z (it is installed by a professional Luthier here in out country) i asked the Luthier to make a dummy pickup for me, so he ripped a cheap humbucker pickup and he attached the driver to it making it a "humbucker" but the dummy isn't connected whatsoever.

No the problem is the strings will sustain no problem in the standard mode, but it's having a hard time having the "Harmonic Mode" work properly on the treble string (E1, B2, G3). is there anything that i can do to fix this?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:07 am 

theres a ton you can do. Raise the driver, raise the bridge, try lowering the bridge. Turn the VBC all the way up, set the AGC all the way up if possible, turn the MBC up too. Fernandes says usually it's set to zero, but it will give the Harmonic mode more power. Set to zero, the normal sustain mode has all the power, and the harmonic mode has "none" from the MBC pot. Turning it half up, or all the way up, will give the harmonic mode more power. Experiment with where you are happy with the balance and then you'll be happy. Before I played with the MBC my sustainer was enormously powerful on the normal mode, but the harmonic mode was kind of weak. I turned the MBC up and it was balanced between the harmonic AND the normal mode, now I can sustain on all the strings on the harmonic mode with full strength.

But if you broke part of the pots- this is pretty useless. Also, if you use 9 gauge strings, it'll be harder for the sustainer to sustain on the higher strings. Switch to tens if nothing else works. And of course put in a new battery.
j3yps wrote:
The sustainer is still working, and i've already figured out the part needed for this. Maybe someone with more experience can help me with this one. As you can see on the pic it is installed on my RG2550z (it is installed by a professional Luthier here in out country) i asked the Luthier to make a dummy pickup for me, so he ripped a cheap humbucker pickup and he attached the driver to it making it a "humbucker" but the dummy isn't connected whatsoever.

No the problem is the strings will sustain no problem in the standard mode, but it's having a hard time having the "Harmonic Mode" work properly on the treble string (E1, B2, G3). is there anything that i can do to fix this?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:23 am 
Newcomer

I'll try to switch to 10s first, the only broken pot is the VBC but i think it's already at it maximum setting, i'll try fiddling with the MBC pot too. I'll post here once i've tried these things. Thanks :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:04 pm 
Newcomer

I have tried changing the strings to 10s, raising the Bridge pickup(I'm using a Dimarzio IBZ Bridge pickup) and the sustainer driver, and turning the MBC to max. i tried fiddling with the other pots too and still no progress...any other solution?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:58 pm 
Newcomer

Ok, if you still haven't figured it out, this will help for sure !

I had the very same problem with my 401 and I used Evo2 in the bridge.

All you need to do is: ROTATE BRIDGE PICKUP 180 DEGREES !

Try it and let me know if it helped.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:12 pm 

wait you didn't rotate the bridge pup? Same problem happened with me, my guitar when I first had the sustainer in was weak as hell it was rotated and now it's fine.
JoeBunn wrote:
Ok, if you still haven't figured it out, this will help for sure !

I had the very same problem with my 401 and I used Evo2 in the bridge.

All you need to do is: ROTATE BRIDGE PICKUP 180 DEGREES !

Try it and let me know if it helped.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:58 pm 

he f'd up the circuit board and trim pot----
its not an easy fix--

you need a new board

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:09 am 

OH SHIT
having the same problem new guitar---

raise the height of the bridge pickup!
harmonic mode problem solved!!!