Fernandes FSK401 Help!!!!

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
Message
Author
j3yps
Newcomer
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:26 am
Location: Philippines

Fernandes FSK401 Help!!!!

#1 Post by j3yps » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:35 am

Can anybody pls help me look for a replacement part for my Fernandes FSK401 Sustainer.

I'm trying to adjust the VBC pot and I over twisted it(Yeah stupidy strikes!) and the top part fell off(Arrow B - it says 104). If you could pls tell me the exact part needed to replace this one (Arrow A) it will definitely be appreciated. I tried Googling it (the manual says that it's as 104 kOhms pot) but no luck.

Here's a pic of the board
http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u47 ... 16ebaf.jpg

Thanks in advanced!

Jeries
Member
Member
Posts: 1545
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:18 am
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Contact:

Re: Fernandes FSK401 Help!!!!

#2 Post by Jeries » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:36 pm

if you destroyed a trim pot- see if it can be adjusted by screwing with the inside...

if the sustainer still works then you're in good shape

if it does not- you'll prob need a whole new kit/circuit board

j3yps
Newcomer
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:26 am
Location: Philippines

Re: Fernandes FSK401 Help!!!!

#3 Post by j3yps » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:37 am

The sustainer is still working, and i've already figured out the part needed for this. Maybe someone with more experience can help me with this one. As you can see on the pic it is installed on my RG2550z (it is installed by a professional Luthier here in out country) i asked the Luthier to make a dummy pickup for me, so he ripped a cheap humbucker pickup and he attached the driver to it making it a "humbucker" but the dummy isn't connected whatsoever.

No the problem is the strings will sustain no problem in the standard mode, but it's having a hard time having the "Harmonic Mode" work properly on the treble string (E1, B2, G3). is there anything that i can do to fix this?

User avatar
kyle am I
Member
Member
Posts: 881
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:19 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Fernandes FSK401 Help!!!!

#4 Post by kyle am I » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:07 am

theres a ton you can do. Raise the driver, raise the bridge, try lowering the bridge. Turn the VBC all the way up, set the AGC all the way up if possible, turn the MBC up too. Fernandes says usually it's set to zero, but it will give the Harmonic mode more power. Set to zero, the normal sustain mode has all the power, and the harmonic mode has "none" from the MBC pot. Turning it half up, or all the way up, will give the harmonic mode more power. Experiment with where you are happy with the balance and then you'll be happy. Before I played with the MBC my sustainer was enormously powerful on the normal mode, but the harmonic mode was kind of weak. I turned the MBC up and it was balanced between the harmonic AND the normal mode, now I can sustain on all the strings on the harmonic mode with full strength.

But if you broke part of the pots- this is pretty useless. Also, if you use 9 gauge strings, it'll be harder for the sustainer to sustain on the higher strings. Switch to tens if nothing else works. And of course put in a new battery.
j3yps wrote:The sustainer is still working, and i've already figured out the part needed for this. Maybe someone with more experience can help me with this one. As you can see on the pic it is installed on my RG2550z (it is installed by a professional Luthier here in out country) i asked the Luthier to make a dummy pickup for me, so he ripped a cheap humbucker pickup and he attached the driver to it making it a "humbucker" but the dummy isn't connected whatsoever.

No the problem is the strings will sustain no problem in the standard mode, but it's having a hard time having the "Harmonic Mode" work properly on the treble string (E1, B2, G3). is there anything that i can do to fix this?

j3yps
Newcomer
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:26 am
Location: Philippines

Re: Fernandes FSK401 Help!!!!

#5 Post by j3yps » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:23 am

I'll try to switch to 10s first, the only broken pot is the VBC but i think it's already at it maximum setting, i'll try fiddling with the MBC pot too. I'll post here once i've tried these things. Thanks :)

j3yps
Newcomer
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:26 am
Location: Philippines

Re: Fernandes FSK401 Help!!!!

#6 Post by j3yps » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:04 pm

I have tried changing the strings to 10s, raising the Bridge pickup(I'm using a Dimarzio IBZ Bridge pickup) and the sustainer driver, and turning the MBC to max. i tried fiddling with the other pots too and still no progress...any other solution?

JoeBunn
Newcomer
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:54 pm

Re: Fernandes FSK401 Help!!!!

#7 Post by JoeBunn » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:58 pm

Ok, if you still haven't figured it out, this will help for sure !

I had the very same problem with my 401 and I used Evo2 in the bridge.

All you need to do is: ROTATE BRIDGE PICKUP 180 DEGREES !

Try it and let me know if it helped.

User avatar
kyle am I
Member
Member
Posts: 881
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:19 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Fernandes FSK401 Help!!!!

#8 Post by kyle am I » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:12 pm

wait you didn't rotate the bridge pup? Same problem happened with me, my guitar when I first had the sustainer in was weak as hell it was rotated and now it's fine.
JoeBunn wrote:Ok, if you still haven't figured it out, this will help for sure !

I had the very same problem with my 401 and I used Evo2 in the bridge.

All you need to do is: ROTATE BRIDGE PICKUP 180 DEGREES !

Try it and let me know if it helped.

Jeries
Member
Member
Posts: 1545
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:18 am
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Contact:

Re: Fernandes FSK401 Help!!!!

#9 Post by Jeries » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:58 pm

he f'd up the circuit board and trim pot----
its not an easy fix--

you need a new board

Jeries
Member
Member
Posts: 1545
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:18 am
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Contact:

Re: Fernandes FSK401 Help!!!!

#10 Post by Jeries » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:09 am

OH SHIT
having the same problem new guitar---

raise the height of the bridge pickup!
harmonic mode problem solved!!!

zangiamit91
Newcomer
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:24 am

Re: Fernandes FSK401 Help!!!!

#11 Post by zangiamit91 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:33 am

Exploiting thread -

i had some problem with my sustainer fsk 401 too, when i rotate the bridge pickup it's work fine.
i have 3 way switch.
but i have some hamornics (the middle position mode) issues, the sustainer work fine, the the mix mode mute really quick the strings in the higher notes. i have 0.9, but im not fan of 0.10, steve also play on 0.9 i know so it's need to work fine,
i try to set the button on the pcb the same like i saw in photos of the original FLO in the internet and steves website (all about flo) and it's still the same issue.

any way there is suggestions to do?
and i have 2 questions -
1 - where u put the mix knob usually? in the middle or until its start to feedback and the u raise the knob down until it's stop?
and in 5 way routing, when the sustainer work, only the bridge work or the middle pickup can work too?

Jeries
Member
Member
Posts: 1545
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:18 am
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Contact:

Re: Fernandes FSK401 Help!!!!

#12 Post by Jeries » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:16 pm

you have to adjust the trimpots to the guitar itself- don't base them on where Vai keeps them- that's crazy

zangiamit91
Newcomer
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:24 am

Re: Fernandes FSK401 Help!!!!

#13 Post by zangiamit91 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:09 am

Jeries wrote:you have to adjust the trimpots to the guitar itself- don't base them on where Vai keeps them- that's crazy

ok, and what about the knob mix?

Jeries
Member
Member
Posts: 1545
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:18 am
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Contact:

Re: Fernandes FSK401 Help!!!!

#14 Post by Jeries » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:17 am

The three knobs are
master volume
master tone
sustainer intensity

there's a mix option on the trimpot.

lets go over all 4 options

One trimpot controles the neck pickup volume- you'd use it to match the neck and bridge pickup in volume when the sustainer is off- if you're using an ibanez/dimarzio you'll want it all the way up/loudest possible

One trimpot controls the power/attack of the sustainer- that's up to you-

One is the sustainer gain- it should be on 10 unless you get feedback then turn it down until the feedback goes away

Last-
One is a balance- which controls the balance between regular and harmonic mode

If in mix mode you're not getting harmonic mode- turn the balance up to match harmonic and regular volume

however- mix mode is useless- and not useful (i said the same thing twice useless/not useful)
so i wouldn't use it anyway

zangiamit91
Newcomer
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:24 am

Re: Fernandes FSK401 Help!!!!

#15 Post by zangiamit91 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:33 am

Jeries wrote:The three knobs are
master volume
master tone
sustainer intensity

there's a mix option on the trimpot.

lets go over all 4 options

One trimpot controles the neck pickup volume- you'd use it to match the neck and bridge pickup in volume when the sustainer is off- if you're using an ibanez/dimarzio you'll want it all the way up/loudest possible

One trimpot controls the power/attack of the sustainer- that's up to you-

One is the sustainer gain- it should be on 10 unless you get feedback then turn it down until the feedback goes away

Last-
One is a balance- which controls the balance between regular and harmonic mode

If in mix mode you're not getting harmonic mode- turn the balance up to match harmonic and regular volume

however- mix mode is useless- and not useful (i said the same thing twice useless/not useful)
so i wouldn't use it anyway
ok thanks =]
and what about the volume on the sustainer intensity recommended? in the middle? way back ? or need to play with it all the time?

Post Reply