VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:20 am 

I remember considering the purchase of a JEM7V a few years ago. The price was about $1,999.00. I was revisiting this idea of purchasing a JEM7V and I see the asking price is $2,999.00 on at least one website. What are the reasons for this increase of 50%. Has the cost of the materials used to make this guitar, which appears to be virtually unchanged from what it was a few years ago, gone up this much?

I do see there is a glimmer of hope for me owning a JEM before I die (but not exactly the one I have been wanting) in the form of the cheaper JEMUV.

And I am not just picking on Steve's guitar or even Ibanez guitars. The price of some guitars just makes me laugh. I think Slash's signature guitar sells for around $4,000.00.

Who would have thought guitars as a commodity would be in the same class as diamonds and gold. Is wood considered a limited natural resource? Wow. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:17 pm 

you know, last year it was $2500 and they raised it 500 more. Ibanez is screwing themselves. Probably economy, wood and shit prices going up, but PROBABLY and most likely they want more money while quality goes down.
BigBadMoFoGangsta wrote:
I remember considering the purchase of a JEM7V a few years ago. The price was about $1,999.00. I was revisiting this idea of purchasing a JEM7V and I see the asking price is $2,999.00 on at least one website. What are the reasons for this increase of 50%. Has the cost of the materials used to make this guitar, which appears to be virtually unchanged from what it was a few years ago, gone up this much?

I do see there is a glimmer of hope for me owning a JEM before I die (but not exactly the one I have been wanting) in the form of the cheaper JEMUV.

And I am not just picking on Steve's guitar or even Ibanez guitars. The price of some guitars just makes me laugh. I think Slash's signature guitar sells for around $4,000.00.

Who would have thought guitars as a commodity would be in the same class as diamonds and gold. Is wood considered a limited natural resource? Wow. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:21 pm 

well they cut costs on the guitar... rosewood/bridge/etc...

COST on a 2200-2400 JEM was like $1400-1600

now I think guitar center pays 2000-2200 for them and price them at 3 now.

but also keep in mind guitar center/musiciansfriend always have 15% items 499 above

so
$3000= 2550 no tax free shipping- not bad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:57 am 
Newcomer

i think that the cost is up because you live in the USA... there are tariffs and international taxes and fees that need to be paid to ship a japanese product to America that drive the price up.... I bought my Jem7v in Nagaoka Japan and out the door it was 2,400... If you really REALLY want one , and want to know it is genuine... you should buy a plane ticket, come over here, and buy one that way... I went into the local Shimamura Gakki music store in Nagaoka... i ordered it... and they shipped it straight from Fuji-Gen in Nagoya 2 days later... i went into the store... they were very professional. they laid it out on a table in the middle of the store, they laid the guitar case out in front of me stood back and opened it.... it was like buying a Diamond from a jeweler... they stood back and let me examine it waiting for my approval...you could see every detail in they're professionalism and know that they wanted me to be extremely happy or they would feel disgraced... on a side note.... if you come to Japan to buy an Ibanez Guitar? don't even look at the "Japanese" J Customs... they only sell them in Japan (if you ever see a J custom for sale in an american store EVER... you will be looking at the LOWEST quality Guitar to bare the name "J Custom" Japan is a strange place to say the least...When any Japanese company releases a product that by Japanese customs is "top of they're line" You will NEVER see it for sale in any country other than Japan.. they are proud that way...and 3 years ahead of the rest of the world..If you are unlucky enough to pick up a J Custom in Japan and play it? You won't be wanting the Vai Jems any more... instead? you will be trying to figure out how to pay for the 6,500 dollar guitar in your hands.. just my thoughts as an american living in Japan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:37 pm 

Anyone notice that the JEM's in general are scarce in Guitar Centers? I've been in 6 or so in the last month in 3 different states and there were none to be had new or used. A couple different stores said when a used one comes in they sell fairly quick after hitting the sales floor, but they don't really stock new ones anymore. They can next day one in if you want it though. I'd say the new higher price is the main factor.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:32 am 

guitar center isn't profitable...

they don't keep jems in stock typically

although they waste their money with les pauls that don't move either.

a guitar center i know of has a NEW jem
they've had it a long time its priced at 1700

if i wanted it they'd do 1500

and its new

(that's below their cost but they artifically lower their costs when an item ages so they can move it)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:05 am 

A Jem7VWH here in Holland costs €2600 :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:07 am 

EyE wrote:
A Jem7VWH here in Holland costs €2600 :)

which is good for me- i can buy the one at guitar center for $1500 ship it overseas for $200 and sell it for $3600.

go me!
(although i don't export guitars...i should)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:09 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Except that you'll have to pay import, taxes, VAT etc, which makes it just as expensive as buying it locally.

Jeroen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:55 pm 
Newcomer

I think it may be the same reason that companies like Pro Tone pedals, Bare-knuckle pickups and Toontrack Samplers have gained so much market share; Metal!! Shred guitar and especially "Djent"

for me, Djent at it's core;
Its a progressive culture of "gear - heads" who CAN PLAY. It is refreshing to see a new movement of musicians whose songs challenge and yet each new release shows a ton of progression.

I am as guilty as anyone because I truly love Tosin Abasi and Misha Mansoor. I've even seen Mr Va himself pay homage to these two specific guitar persons.

Jake Bowen, also a 7 string guitarist with Periphery, happens to be the nephew of a very tasty chopster...John Petrucci

7 string and 8 string guitars are now called extended range guitars.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:54 pm 

I find it odd that people complain so much about price. It's expensive to make these things - and, to be honest, why should they just lower the price because someone can't, or won't, stump up the cash? How on earth would they ever make any money? That money gets invested in employees, costs, research etc.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:47 am 

Obamacare.. Duh! Thats the main reason!!!

But on a serious note, inflation, employees, taxes, marketing, Vai's share, I'm sure they have a profit margin they want and if it drops below they will raise it to get that profit margin. It all adds up. I think as long as people continue to pay the price, it will keep going up. Thankful their is a premium Jem!

When I started playing it was my first dream guitar and it was 1700$ back then. It's priced itself out of my wants list. But you can find used at much cheaper still. I'd rather get a fully custom Carvin or ESP or something for the money they want now.

But I WOULD pay for the 7v7.... So I guess it's just what the perceived value rather than actual value.