VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:59 am 

hey everyone, guess what!!! Remember all those threads I posted on sustainers, sustainer guitars, etc? Well, no need anymore, because my sustainer is finally in my guitar. It's been about a year that I had it and either I sent it out and people were too scared to put it in, or I had nobody I knew of to do it. But that's over now, because it's finally in and working. I just got out of around an hour setting up process to make the guitar "mine" again, like raising the action, lowering the sustainer a bit and raising the bridge pickup, a quick neck sand and a bridge and tuning adjustment, and my guitar is sqealin away at things like for the love of god and building the church.

[img]http://imageshack.us/a/img69/7749/imagednb.jpg[\img]

I've had so much pain with this sustainer. In fact, not only did it take a year to have it installed, it almost didn't work. Originally when I went to pick it up, the sustainer was super weak and really nasty sounding. The tech said he didn't actually realize these problems because he was trying to find out what the problem was, and I was really upset because I thought maybe the damn thing was broken to begin with. He said he would be back to work on it on Wednesday (it wasn't working last Sunday) to try to fix the problem. So Wednesday day night, I call him up and read him the fernandes sustainer troubleshoot thing. He said he changed the battery, and rewired the wires that were making the sustainer functions reverse themselves, and he was about to reverse the bridge pickup as per the troubleshoot guide (it said if any modes or all modes of the sustainer are weak, rotate the bridge 180 degrees) right before I called. He reverses it, and two hours later phones me to tell me that it's working fine and is awesome. I was so relieved and happy that finally, after two years of wanting one and a year of having one, I would finally have a sustainer and finally be able to properly windmill ;) .

The tech was at guitar center, and he told me that the guitar center that he had his shop in was the guitar center that actually had the "highway to hell" Steve vai and cello players video filmed at. It was filmed a day before my show on September 8th. Apparently he had gone into the drum room with a bunch of Thoose people, and filmed it and came out and signed stuff. I was so pissed off, that I literally could have had met Steve vai if I had just gone to that stupid guitar center that day lol. I had a heart attack when the guy told me. Anyway, all those trips I took to drop off and pick up my sustainer and guitar were to the Guys work area in the guitar center (the EVO replica had been sold, I was a tad dissapointed, but I was told that Steve actually played that evo guitar, so I played a guitar that Steve vai played and didn't even know it lol, look back at my "the jem- evo shocked me" thread I posted to hear the original story) so I took the liberty while waiting for the tech to lower the volume pots to walk around and ask the staff what it was like. It just made me more jealous. Anyway, that guitar center had just had a major major remodel, so it looks nothing like it did in the video anymore. But I did take a picture of the drum room where it was shot anyway.

[img]http://imageshack.us/a/img46/3414/imagejrr.jpg[\img]

Long story longer, I'm very pleased with my sustainer and am wholeheartedly enjoying stepping on my guitar as it screeches uncontrollably under my foot. Happy playing!!! ;)

(Anyone else think my guitar looks like flo III??? Lol)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:40 pm 

i see your guitar also has a tone raper installed (a maple fretboard on an rg)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:41 am 

the evo 2 bridge pickup is really, really sharp. It might just take some getting used to, but right now I don't need the sharpness of the rosewood board. When I had the rosewood board on this guitar, and then switched to maple right after playing it with the rosewood, I was sorta shocked how much the tone (never changed pickups or string gauge or anything, just the neck) was affected by the fretboard. It was so much less sharp and with the shrillness of the evo 2 bridge the maple neck I think is going to stay.
Jeries wrote:
i see your guitar also has a tone raper installed (a maple fretboard on an rg)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:28 am 

i don't know what magic wood you have but maple is really sharp really shrill really trebley and high

rosewood is deep/warm/not sharp

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:27 pm 

well here's a useless recording. Btw, my notes won't sustain at frets 24@ and 25 on the e string on harmonic mode. I tried all the things you said Jeries, turning up and down the pots on the sustainer, moving the sustainer driver up, moving it down, moving the bridge pickup up and down, nothing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:27 pm 

THIS is the recording

http://soundcloud.com/stevevaihimself-1/irritating-noises

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:41 pm 

my new sustainer wont sustain above the 20th fret or so on the high e

i raised the trim pot to the highest sustain setting

i listened to the sample
all of it

i don't hear any irrating noises- thats how it sounds

exactly what do you mean and where can i hear it specifically
it sounds normal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:02 am 

sounded normal to me also.
looks good btw.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:42 am 
Newcomer

Hey dudes..
Could i make one in home ?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:32 pm 

huh? A home made sustainer? There are tutorials in YouTube but the answer is no, you can't make one that's actually useful or sounds good
DesironnA wrote:
Hey dudes..
Could i make one in home ?