VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:40 pm 

Something shocked me- I went to guitar center the yesterday to try out a few pedals. Last year I went and they had a jem from 2001 so I expected to play that. Well, its really just an excuse to go and play guitars and stuff. So I go in and ask the guy if he has any jems. I saw a very nive 7vwh, and low and behold… he asked me if I wanted to play the JEM-EVO I didn’t even know was there. My heart stopped. I thought I would never be able to play one. Guitar center probably only bought like five, and I the biggest steve vai fan in the world was going to play it. the guy took it down, handed it to me, and at the moment I just stopped- an exact replica of EVO… down to the velcrow in the backplate. I couldn’t let go. I watched the thing and for like 25 minutes just walked around withit and tried a digitech whammy dt with it. what I wondered the most with it- the neck. I knew it was thinner and sanded down… it felt amazing and grainy- like steve had just come offstage and handed it to me. Then I wanted to try a wah pedal, and I was getting serious about wanting the pedal, so I asked the guitar center man to swap the jem evo for a regular vwh that would feel more like my 350mp. I was shocked. I liked the regular 7vwh better. I was shocked. I was shocked. I was shocked. A stock 2500 dollar jem against the most high quality jem in the world… I liked the latter better. I was shocked. I played the jem extensively and I realize what it was that made me prefer the stock… with the evo so beat up, with steves name on it, and ll the nooks and crannies already made for you, I felt like I had no control over the guitar. I felt intimidated by it and its price tag. I could never be free with such an instrument. It would always feel like steves. The stock however, was beautiful in a more asthetic way. The paint was bright white, the tremolo shining gold. Everything felt new and my favorite thing in the world is breaking in new guitars. It had the original pickups (not mish moshed upside down and whatnot like evo) and original edge tremolo (for which I brought my own bar)

One thing surprised me about the JEM EVO… the lack off attention by many things. For one, youd think an eight thousand dollar guitar would have the tremolo shaft NOT wiggling back and forth… that’s what I hade most with screw in bars. And another- THE NUT had a screw so loose it almost fell out. I was shocked! The guitar was out of tune due to the loose (very loose) nut. One other thing- I cut my finger on one of the asthetic scratches- how does that happen? Its an amazing guitar, but a few things just didn’t make sense. That’s all.

(ps im having a proble.- my original edge trem- when I snap the bar in all the way, it hits my tuners behind it… whats wrong?)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:09 pm 

About the arm, hitting the tuners..... I thought it's just me and my "luck" with guitars, but now I see, that this is a common thing. However, this wasn't happening on the Edge Lo-Pro.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:09 am 

hi kyle,

nice story,

re your trem,i`m pretty sure if you slacken the lock nut on the back of the arm holder a few turns,then unscrew the trem holder a little bit,retighten the lock nut on the rear while holding the arm holder in place with a large screwdriver,this will bring the arm holder out a little so the trem arm clears the trem.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:24 am 

paulh123 wrote:
hi kyle,

nice story,

re your trem,i`m pretty sure if you slacken the lock nut on the back of the arm holder a few turns,then unscrew the trem holder a little bit,retighten the lock nut on the rear while holding the arm holder in place with a large screwdriver,this will bring the arm holder out a little so the trem arm clears the trem.

how do i unscrew the shaft without a wrenck? all my wrenches are too small. the bottom screw is no problem though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:00 am 

you will need a deep socket to undo the rear locking nut

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:35 am 

paulh123 wrote:
you will need a deep socket to undo the rear locking nut

ok, thanks! it never used to happen, and then one day..

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:00 pm 

I'm confused - you brought your own bar (from what guitar/bridge?) to try on the 7vWH's original edge in the store? Only an edge or lo-pro bar's gonna work (2LE2B, iirc) with it. If you're trying to fix it - did you buy the 7vWH?

I've never had this happen. :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:05 am 

no no lol. I have an original edge bridge I bought from the ibanez site. Last time I went to guitar center they said they weren't allowed to supply me with a bar unless I bought the guitar so I took the bar that came with the edge and used it on the ibanez edges on the jems i tried. I cant afford a jem, but ill have one some day.there lol. The jems were fine, on my bridge when I put the bar in and turn it it hits the tuners ob the back.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:12 pm 
Newcomer

Yeah, but were you shocked?

Nice story, I wish I could try EVO. Maybe I will.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:10 pm 

Mile wrote:

that after all ive heard about evo and all that stuff, i liked a regular stock 7vwh better. it might not even be anything to anyone else, but for me its a big deal lol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:46 am 

kyle am I wrote:
Mile wrote:

that after all ive heard about evo and all that stuff, i liked a regular stock 7vwh better. it might not even be anything to anyone else, but for me its a big deal lol

I'm not a fan of vintage guitars

I like NICE NEW SHINY guitars

I also don't like relic'd guitars

I like new guitars

So I'd pick a new 7vwh over one already beat up for me (although the EVO copy is super cool it might be a touch decision however picking a beat up on purpose new fender and one that looks new- i pick the new one)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:29 pm 

I got play a EVO awhile back as well at the Guitar Center in downtown Chicago. I figured they'll make a fuss over some kid with no money playing a 7K guitar. No problem!

I admit it does have some mojo to it cause it looks just like Vai's evo but I thought it sounded just the same as a stocked Evo. I actually liked the feel of the Jem70vSFG better then this one.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:00 pm 
Newcomer

Wow I am not alone!
This was the same experience i had when choosing my first Ibanez.
I so so so wanted a Jem (the Evo was not around then). I had the cash, the guitar was there in the shop, my eyes all lit with awe. I played it............hmmmmmm........I played it more.......hmmmm. grubby strings etc
I picked up an RG550ltd WOW! i bought it :)
I still have it now as my main guitar

I still would love a Jem Evo but not to play, but to have as a piece of art :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:48 pm 

vibrato arm plastic hot with lighter and put it inmediatly so it doesn't fell down also turn a bit clockwise so the tremolo is hold stronger, these are tips Thomas Nordegg told me to my evo.