VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:35 pm 

Here are my troubles. I've always wanted a JEM7V. I have located two to choose from. One standard and one with a Fernandes sustainer installed. ( FLO Clone ) White to boot (or painted not sure yet). Cost for either one is fairly close. Both are rated 4 of 5 stars cosmetically.

Waiting on a call back to check the model year on both.

I've never played a JEM before. My current fav electric guitar is my 1987 Kramer with active EMG's. I use the 5-way pickup switch quite often to get the tone I'm looking for playing a variety of styles.

I have a question regarding the 5-way pickup switch on the ax that has the sustainer installed. What tone will I loose with this installed in the neck position? Does the 5-way switch now only act as a 3-way?

Not real familiar with this sustainer other than I know I'd love to mess around with one installed.

Both guitars would be from a very well known shop, but both are located hundreds of miles away from me at different locations. I hope this fact would eliminate getting a fake one sent. Be a mail order item. I'd assume they have a good return policy if I did not like the guitar. Need to research that though.

I know buy both would be the best choice :D , but my wife would kill me. Heck I'd prob. even trade my 1996 Guild D25 acoustic plus $ balance in for one of these.

Just can't decide if I really need the sustainer guitar or not. Any loss of tone range may sway my decision to the standard version.

Please chime in and inform me between the actual differences found in comparing these two beauties.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:03 pm 

#1 tip- GET THE SUSTAINER
#2 tip- make sure the one you're getting is a REAL JEM and not a knockoff

a pre 2004 one in my opinion is better
better wood- better quality better bridge

The 5 way will still be a 5 way

the neck and bridge pickup when the sustainer is OFF will not be matched/identical and sound consistent compared to an evolution set

the sustainer driver as a neck pickup sounds good but has way less out put and doesn't sound anything like the bridge pickup sounds

WHEN THE SUSTAINER IS ON- THE BRIDGE PICKUP IS AUTOMATICALLY ON NO MATTER WHAT- YOU CAN'T CHANGE THE PICKUPS WHEN THE SUSTAINER IS ON- DEFAULT/ONLY THE BRIDGE IS ON

positions 2 and 4 when off should split/be just like a normal jem if wired correctly

at this price- i'd check them BOTH OUT IN PERSON its worth the effort if you're blowing well over a thousand

see if the sustainer is installed well-
if it has a nice small routed hole on the back with a nice plate i'd get it

if there's a giant half moon like FLO has i wouldn't get it--
I think Vai's sustainer route was done really excessive

negotiating tip:: tell both people you're looking at others- maybe it will get one of them to move price wise to make the decision easier

even if the sustainer is a hundred or two more- if its installed cleanly- get it

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:01 am 

Jeries, I appreciate your reply. Good info..

I just got a call back from the store that has the one with the sustainer installed. The store tech said the guitar looks darn near like it just arrived from the factory. He said the sustainer looks like it was installed from the factory as well. He said a very good luthier must have installed it as it looks perfect. Flush battery cover too. Its black though. Pic I saw was very tiny and real grainy. It's also the 401 with 3-way switch.

It's a 2001 model. If memory serves me correctly it should come with 1 piece neck, ebony fret board and lo pro tremolo.

I can arrange for them to ship it to one of their stores closer to me. :D Still just over an hour drive, but I can then try it before I buy it.

They said their price is firm for now since they have only had it for about a month. After 3 months passes they start playing with the price. Comes with a case and all accessories. Even comes with the original neck pickup if one decided to pull the sustainer out.

Just got to make myself pull the trigger and blow the cob webs out of my wallet.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:13 am 

Jeries wrote:
#1 tip- GET THE SUSTAINER
#2 tip- make sure the one you're getting is a REAL JEM and not a knockoff

a pre 2004 one in my opinion is better
better wood- better quality better bridge

The 5 way will still be a 5 way

the neck and bridge pickup when the sustainer is OFF will not be matched/identical and sound consistent compared to an evolution set

the sustainer driver as a neck pickup sounds good but has way less out put and doesn't sound anything like the bridge pickup sounds

WHEN THE SUSTAINER IS ON- THE BRIDGE PICKUP IS AUTOMATICALLY ON NO MATTER WHAT- YOU CAN'T CHANGE THE PICKUPS WHEN THE SUSTAINER IS ON- DEFAULT/ONLY THE BRIDGE IS ON

positions 2 and 4 when off should split/be just like a normal jem if wired correctly

at this price- i'd check them BOTH OUT IN PERSON its worth the effort if you're blowing well over a thousand

see if the sustainer is installed well-
if it has a nice small routed hole on the back with a nice plate i'd get it

if there's a giant half moon like FLO has i wouldn't get it--
I think Vai's sustainer route was done really excessive

negotiating tip:: tell both people you're looking at others- maybe it will get one of them to move price wise to make the decision easier

even if the sustainer is a hundred or two more- if its installed cleanly- get it

steves route isnt actually that big, its got the wood where the normal backroute is, the cover just covers it most of the back, it gives the illusion that its bigger.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:19 am 

Bad Install

Better install (mine)

hell- i got into a fight with the guy that installed it- and can't stand him-
BUT he did the goddamn best job i've ever seen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:10 pm 

OK guys, pulled the trigger. This bad boy will be here in a couple days. I couldn't stop thinking about this guitar so I just called the guitar center store back. Its being shipped to my house tomorrow. The tech I bought it from said all the same great things about it as the guy I spoke with this morning. Even comes with a nice case.

Its been restrung with 10's and had a through set up performed.

Big question I have for you all now is what is this thing worth? See previous post for guitar details. I'll post my final cost with tax and shipping after hearing back from a couple of you. Not a scratch or belt mark on it.......

They have a 30 days no questions asked return policy so I'm sure I can return it if there is anything wrong with it.

Can't wait to jam on this bad azz ax.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:49 pm 

I hope its not more than 1500

JS1000's are the same price as the JEM- i've seen them sell in the $700-800 range

Universes are the same price as the JEMS they sell for $1500 used

locally i can get a mint one for $1400
i can buy one from guitar center used for $1300 right now

So i'd say a fair/good deal with tax and shipping with sustainer-- I hope $1500 thats a good deal

if i had the money i'd do 15-1600

hopefully you didn't blow 1700-2000

i'm a cheap bastard though

on the bright side
i bought a MINT mesa boogie cabinet with tags still on it- with slip cover in untouched condition today for $250
there's steals out there...

This one guy on craigslist in phx has a steal on a great jem (purchased direct from ibanezrules) for like $14 cash

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:11 am 

Look what the big brown truck left at my back door yesterday..

I’ve had my eye on the Jem line for 20 years. I never grabbed one off the wall to try at the guitar shops as I knew I’d have to buy one then.

My gut feeling was correct. This thing feels really nice in your hands. I’m an instant fan of the neck. Love the thin feel. The ebony fret board & inlay looks sweet. You can bend notes damn near to the moon with ease. It’s quite a bit lighter than I expected too.

This one is a 2001. Came out of the box a bit dusty. No scratches at all. Just a very tiny dent inside the monkey grip. Someone must have picked it up with a ring on or something. I took an LED flash light and if you hold it just right you can see very, very faint swirl marks in a couple spots in the finish. From dusting off I suppose. Who studies a guitar this close under a microscope any way. All in all a very nice guitar that I’d rate in “like new “ condition.

Strings were loose for shipping I suppose. A five minute tune up had it playing like a dream. I plugged right into my old 100W Tube Marshall. Left all effects out for testing. Just built in gain and a little reverb. I didn’t even tighten up the lock nuts and it held a tune great after a through test session of string bending and tremolo flexing. This thing has a really nice tone. A really clean sound even with the gain cranked up. The clean channel really shows how bad ass these pickups are. Very cool.

The sustainer will take a day or two to get used to. Need to train both my hands to mute the strings better when playing slower melodies with the volume cranked. Pretty sweet addition though. I wish they would have put a white cover over the circuit board cut out. The black one just over states the cut out in my opinion. I may fix this soon. That install on Jeries, photo in above post, is top notch!

I should have picked one of these up years ago… It’s going to get a good wipe down tonight to get the dang dust off it.

Paid $1,499 + tax and shipping = $1,621. I have been researching these and this seems to be a pretty decent price compared to recent prices I’ve seen. I’ve not ran across any past sells with a sustainer installed so I’m not sure if this hurts or adds to the value of these. They seem to be holding their value quite well. I now see why!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:56 am 

great buy

w/tax and shipping 16...the guy probably had a ton in the guitar
the guitar is $25+250 for sustainer+god knows what to route/install- the guy could be in it close to 3

i have a pearl backplate on my guitar that covers the electronics hole-- it was a white pearl strat backplate that was cut and rounded- looks/works perfect
and who cares no one will ever notice the back

install looks good- and with the extra knob didn't go overboard on the front or back- looks great

the bridge looks good- no wear/ no tarnish to it (thats a thing to worry about 10 yr old ibz guitars)

plus the old pickup is included- i like that kind of stuff- i get off on boxes/paperwork/and stuff taken off still included (and not thrown away)

good buy- enjoy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:01 am 

Ill sell you a white sustainer driver for $7,777.77 ;) but really (Jeries, or anyone else) how much are they worth (or how much could you squeeze or be willing to pay). BEAUTIFUL guitar man. every day for the past 670 days (two years) i have wanted a jem more and more. you are so lucky. congrats man, congrats. all you with jems and universes, consider yourself lucky! :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jeries wrote:
Bad Install

There's nothing bad about that install (and that one is my guitar incidentally). It's a back-routed body so it already had a routing for the electronics as any back-routed Ibanez (IE: florals).
Add to that the space for the sustainer board between the existing backroute and input jack route and you have this as end result.

By the way, purdy looking axe there, guitars911 :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:47 pm 

oh shit you're right... i never realized it- i know flo was a floral but i never took into account the back routing already there...

so i guess my talking crap about the install of flo is unfounded because it wasn't a jem body it was a floral body already routed that way

i am enlightened now...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There you go :)

I know I have a clearer picture somewhere but I can't find it right now, but here's a screenshot from a video that shows the backside of Flo before the sustainer era.
(Soundcheck, New York, 1997)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:15 pm 

Jeries wrote:
oh shit you're right... i never realized it- i know flo was a floral but i never took into account the back routing already there...

so i guess my talking crap about the install of flo is unfounded because it wasn't a jem body it was a floral body already routed that way

i am enlightened now...

i said that in my top post lol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:16 pm 

Thanks fellas. Good to hear I didn't take a bath price wise on this one.

This thing plays so smooth. Had a chance to fondle it for about 2 hours last night. Had the amp up at 10 / max most of the time. I can't believe how easy it is to hit harmonics of all shapes and flavors. I was in the zone. Haven't felt that in quite some time.